I Didn't Know That You Could Get Arrested For Shoplifting Without Leaving The Store

Depending on jurisdiction, it is also pointless to report a shoplifter to law enforcement since many public prosecutors are too busy being as sole as Soros demands.

They won’t prosecute shoplifting.

Plus what if it actually was a simple mistake that you forgot to scan something? Obviously that wouldn't happen with everything but it could happen with one or two items.

You CAN be arrested before you leave the store, as a general proposition. If you conceal the item in a manner that would indicate you intend to steal it, you can be arrested. But cops and store security don't like to mess with those cases, so they wait until you leave the store.

I had a security guy at my store in Clarksburg, WV who was so good that most of the people he caught were thanking him by the time they left (for not pursuing more serious punishments). He got them to PAY FOR the stuff they stole! And they were still charged.
Things are way different now, not like it was in the old days, over forty years ago. I was working a Sunday in my meat department. I notice a guy pick up a pack of New York Strips two of them two inches thick each. I watch him stuff them down his pants as he walked down an empty aisle. I catch up to him as he walks between the registers and ask him politely to either give me the steaks back or pay for them.

He gives me the old, "Don't embarrass me man, in front of all these people. Just come outside and I will give you the steaks." I agree, but with good reason.

When he asked me to step outside I looked, and lounging by the exit was Big Dan. Big Dan was a nearby resident's dog, and he was huge. Looked like a damn bear. At least 150 pounds, some kind of Mastiff mix. And every morning I would feed him out of date hotdogs off the back loading dock. He would gulp them down with one bite.

I know the deal, he was either going to dig out running once outside, or he was going to kick my ass. He goes through the door first, then I come out and Big Dan immediately jumps up and comes right beside me. Suddenly, the tables are turned. He looks at me, he looks at Big Dan, and he sheepishly hands the steaks over. I tell him, "Big Dan thanks you" and toss the steaks, one at a time to Big Dan.

I told you in a previous post that I am aware of SKUs. I also told you, they were found to be falsely accusing me and that I let them do their jobs since. Apparently you don't pay too close attention to what you read--probably because you are trying to think up your next retort. I can assure you that I KNOW I can tell the difference between products. I worked for a manufacturer that produced over six hundred different types of the same product for over thirty years. Your hypotheticals are irrelevant.
Oh, my reading comprehension is quite fine. For instance, I comprehend that you don't have the intelligence to run a self-checkout without setting off a flag.

Now that being said I definitely don't condone it or any of this behavior at all. You learn something new every day I guess though.

That has been a misnomer for many years.
If you conceal items in a way that is inconsistent with expected behaviors, and IS consistent with the intention to steal - that is also shoplifting.
A store owner does not have to prove intent, only an act that is consistent with intent.

Before the days of digital scanners, employee pilferage was accomplished like that. Shopper goes to cashier attended by an employee friend and loads 25 like items on the belt. Cashier rings up three.

I know that one....
Used to go to a grocery store where I had a chick friend that worked as a cashier but I wasnt trying to steal anything.
We went for beer since we were underage.

I think that the damaged can also represents a leftist's brain.
Sweet Jeebus, you Trumptards are outdoing yourselves today. Just how many ounces of lead paint chips did you eat as babies?

For the moron-American crowd, this is how it works ....

1. Scan the good can.
2. Put the damaged can in the bag.
3. Scan the good can again.
4. Put the good can in the bag.

Two cans scanned, two cans paid for, two cans taken home.

It's not difficult. 1st graders have no problem with it, yet all of the Trumptards here do. But then, that's why they're Trumptards.

Sweet Jeebus, you Trumptards are outdoing yourselves today. Just how many ounces of lead paint chips did you eat as babies?

1. Scan the good can.

It's not difficult. 1st graders have no problem with it, yet all of the Trumptards here do. But then, that's why they're Trumptards.

Thats not skip scanning.

Thats not skip scanning.
And did I say it was?

I just said Walmart's new AI now flags what use to be common-sense shortcuts at the self-checkout line, shortcuts that benefited everyone. Walmart didn't have to throw away a can with a damaged label, and I didn't have to waste everyone's time calling for a worker.

1. Scan the good can.

Well why even take the damaged can at all?

Because a dented can has no effect on the product. Obviously.

I guess that's possible but I also think that it depends what it is too. A pop can for instance is going to have a fountain of consequences if damaged but a vegetable can probably not so much.

Forum List

Back