I gotta pay props to my uncle that passed away Saturday.

Dale Smith

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Robert Horton or as we always referred to him as "Uncle Toad" was a war vet that met my aunt through mail correspondence because he was in the same platoon as my Uncle Raymond that introduced him to his sister (my aunt) . I thought that he was in WWII but it had to of been the Korean War because he was just shy of being 88...regardless of which war he was in? He was an incredible man. He was a fast pitch softball pitcher that even at 60 could throw a softball underhand faster than I could throw one "overhand". He loved having me around because I was so into sports and he would drive out to the parks where I played if I called him and told him that I was playing in his neck of the woods. I always wanted him to be proud of me and I always had better than average games if he was in the stands.

He might have been short and stocky in stature but he sure seemed like a giant to me growing up. He was the epitome of that Hank Williams Jr song "A Country Boy Can Survive" because he could skin a buck and he could run a trotline. He was "old time tough" and as old school as they came but he had a soft spot for his nieces and nephews. In 1987, after I got my degree from tech school, I packed everything I owned into a Datsun B-210 and moved to the DFW area to find a job. Uncle Toad and Aunt Annette gladly put me up until I got a couple of paychecks under my belt. Me and Uncle Toad went fishing, we went to Trader's Village on Saturdays...he taught me how to navigate the highways of a city that seemed so huge to me. He and Aunt 'Net' drove from Grapevine to Carrollton, Texas the day after my daughter was born just so that they could see and hold their grandniece.....I still have the pics.

Love ya, Uncle Toad....and thank you....still doesn't seem to do justice for what you meant to me.

Just buried an uncle last month: his "40 Day" Mass is next week(Greek Orthodox Ritual). He and Dad blued a lot but hey; family is family. Cousins have been quite thankful of our support.

Greg

My condolences to you too. It's terrible to lose our love ones: nobody ever can replace them.

He'll live in your memory and the memory of other people who knew him, respected and loved him.

For God there are no dead people: all are alive. He's with God now, I'm sure you'll keep praying for him...

Sorry to hear, and that was a nice write up ~ he'd be proud

Dale, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. From what you wrote, it sounds as though he was a great influence on you.

Robert Horton or as we always referred to him as "Uncle Toad" was a war vet that met my aunt through mail correspondence because he was in the same platoon as my Uncle Raymond that introduced him to his sister (my aunt) . I thought that he was in WWII but it had to of been the Korean War because he was just shy of being 88...regardless of which war he was in? He was an incredible man. He was a fast pitch softball pitcher that even at 60 could throw a softball underhand faster than I could throw one "overhand". He loved having me around because I was so into sports and he would drive out to the parks where I played if I called him and told him that I was playing in his neck of the woods. I always wanted him to be proud of me and I always had better than average games if he was in the stands.

He might have been short and stocky in stature but he sure seemed like a giant to me growing up. He was the epitome of that Hank Williams Jr song "A Country Boy Can Survive" because he could skin a buck and he could run a trotline. He was "old time tough" and as old school as they came but he had a soft spot for his nieces and nephews. In 1987, after I got my degree from tech school, I packed everything I owned into a Datsun B-210 and moved to the DFW area to find a job. Uncle Toad and Aunt Annette gladly put me up until I got a couple of paychecks under my belt. Me and Uncle Toad went fishing, we went to Trader's Village on Saturdays...he taught me how to navigate the highways of a city that seemed so huge to me. He and Aunt 'Net' drove from Grapevine to Carrollton, Texas the day after my daughter was born just so that they could see and hold their grandniece.....I still have the pics.

Love ya, Uncle Toad....and thank you....still doesn't seem to do justice for what you meant to me.
Did he show you the "Models" on Harry Hines blvd.?

So sorry for you loss. And I am sure he found pride in you, just as you did him.

Hug and condolences Dale.

upload_2018-2-18_8-5-17.png

Did he show you the "Models" on Harry Hines blvd.?

LMAO! He was very specific when he said to stay away from that area!

Thank you all for the kind words for my Uncle Toad. It's been hard to get him off my mind since I learned he passed. I have to correct something though. It was my Uncle JN (James Noah) that was on the same ship (not a platoon) that gave my future uncle my Aunt Annette's address so they could write. My Uncle Raymond was in WWII...went in when he was 18. I called him today so I could get the story straight. His voice always sounds just as strong and the same way that I always remembered. He told me that when Uncle JN showed Robert a picture of my Aunt Annette in 1953? He said "I'm gonna marry that lady".....two years later, he did and it lasted 62 years. Before he and my aunt moved back to Pampa, Texas to retire in 2002, he asked me to bring my kids up to his house by the lake and we would all go fishing and that his boat was always "good to go" but yet I never made the time.

The last time I saw any of my aunts and uncles was when my Uncle JN passed away two months after my mom died in 2001. I got busy with life trying to raise my own kids and always said that I needed to get to Pampa, Texas and see them all...or get to Austin to see Uncle Raymond. The occasional phone call here and there doesn't really take the place of a visit. I guess what I am trying to convey is "Don't be that guy" (me) that took his aunts and uncles for granted....especially if they were even a tenth as good to you as mine were to me.

My condolences Dale.

Thank you, Toro.......that really touches me that you responded. When I get back to Florida to get my stuff out of storage, lunch or dinner and drinks are on me. We leave board drama at the door and it will be just two regular guys breaking bread and fellowshipping.

My condolences to you too. It's terrible to lose our love ones: nobody ever can replace them.

He'll live in your memory and the memory of other people who knew him, respected and loved him.

For God there are no dead people: all are alive. He's with God now, I'm sure you'll keep praying for him...

Thank you so very much..........it's been a very sad last 24 hours for sure. I feel such a feeling of loss and guilt for not staying in touch more.

Dale, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had your Uncle Toad (ha, great name!) in your life and that he made such a big impact on you. I bet he's smiling at that right now. Take care.

So sorry for you loss. And I am sure he found pride in you, just as you did him.

Thanks for the kind words......I hope he was proud. He sure liked to watch me play softball because neither one of his sons were into sports. He would show up to any ballpark I was playing at that was within an hour of where he lived and if it wasn't a late game. I guess I reminded him of his playing days. Those were very special times and he loved hanging out with the team after the game and "hold court". He had a thousand and one stories to tell. My teammates loved him.

Uncle toad? I had two Uncles, one that fought in the pacific, ( NAVY) then committed suicide, another that was a cook in WWII ( Marines), going to Korea and he moved on ended up at the Chosin Resevoir and survived, he was one hell of a man. My dad was wounded in WW2 at Attu, in the Northern Pacific. He was a hell of a guy. He sold his purple heart to feed us, but that's different story.

I am sorry for you. Losing loved ones is so hard and so painful. Your uncle had a full life filled with love and joy. Bless his soul.

Dale, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had your Uncle Toad (ha, great name!) in your life and that he made such a big impact on you. I bet he's smiling at that right now. Take care.

LOL! Greatly appreciated...and "yes", I was very lucky to have him in my life. All of my uncles were special but Uncle Toad was such a craftsman. If he wasn't building something in the garage in his spare time, he was out on the lake with a chew of Beechnut and a rod and reel...that was heaven to him.

Forum List

Back