i have a 2k telescope. I never use it. A crime or just wasted indulgence?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I bought a badass telescope some years ago. All you have to do is level it and program what you want to see and it auto finds it. I haven't used it in years but I sit on my deck regularly and stare up at the stars.
I've loaned it out to my neighbors multiple times and they bring it back saying it was too hard to use.

I've got to the point I just sit back in the chair/couch and just enjoy looking up at the stars.

I feel like it's just a pile of cash wasting away but for some reason I can't bring myself to sell it. I feel like I might miss the once in a lifetime opportunity to "see" something.
While it is pretty damn accurate it does require some "fine tuning" and as you all know I'm usually trashed on my extended days off. So wtf....

Should I try to sell it considering it's old tech or hang on to it for that once and a lifetime glance?

It is pretty old and while it is digital and self locating im sure its old tech by now.

Thoughts?

• Banned
For point of reference my phone was able to take this photo tonight with liquored hands....

20200625_231518.jpg

Arcturus

Last edited:
I bought a badass telescope some years ago. All you have to do is level it and program what you want to see and it auto finds it. I haven't used it in years but I sit on my deck regularly and stare up at the stars.
I've loaned it out to my neighbors multiple times and they bring it back saying it was too hard to use.

I've got to the point I just sit back in the chair/couch and just enjoy looking up at the stars.

I feel like it's just a pile of cash wasting away but for some reason I can't bring myself to sell it. I feel like I might miss the once in a lifetime opportunity to "see" something.
While it is pretty damn accurate it does require some "fine tuning" and as you all know I'm usually trashed on my extended days off. So wtf....

Should I try to sell it considering it's old tech or hang on to it for that once and a lifetime glance?

It is pretty old and while it is digital and self locating im sure its old tech by now.

Thoughts?

What Telescope are you talking about?

I have owned about 7 Telescope from 5.5" F 3.6 to a 25" F5

Thoughts?

They're Cool As Hell....when someone else owns them and ya get to look through em.

Had a guy across the street way back in the day that had one.
The damn thing was two feet in diameter and he'd roll it out on the driveway and park it on a dot he'd laid out so it was easier to set up.
We'd shoot out all the street lights in the area every few months when he said he was going to break it out.
I gotta say it was as impressive as hell!!!
Once you found the home star or planet it would follow whatever you entered.

• Banned

Thoughts?

What Telescope are you talking about?

I have owned about 7 Telescope from 5.5" F 3.6 to a 25" F5
I'd have to go dig it out to see but its a 6 or 7 inch diameter lense. It was super fun to use when my kids were young but now it just seems like cash in a case under my bed. I have a separate case of lenses and the moon is badass upclose but it's kinda like, been there done that at this point.

• Banned

Thoughts?

They're Cool As Hell....when someone else owns them and ya get to look through em.

The damn thing was two feet in diameter and he'd roll it out on the driveway and park it on a dot he'd laid out so it was easier to set up.
We'd shoot out all the street lights in the area every few months when he said he was going to break it out.
Yeah thats cool. Mine will find it in the sky but it won't follow it.

Thoughts?

This guy was a nut when it came to astronomy.
If I remember correctly he paid upwards of 10k for the thing and that was in 95. Most of that was in the optics.
You enter in what you wanted to look at and off it went.
And no need to look through an eyepiece,that shit was on the best monitor you could buy at the time.
He'd disappear with his buddies for a few months every year and hit the best places to see all the cool shit.

Me,I was happy to go out to our place in the Texas hill country and see the milky way smeared across the sky.

Thoughts?

If I remember correctly he paid upwards of 10k for the thing and that was in 95. Most of that was in the optics.
And no need to look through an eyepiece,that shit was on the best monitor you could buy at the time.
He'd disappear with his buddies for a few months every year and hit the best places to see all the cool shit.

Me,I was happy to go out to our place in the Texas hill country and see the milky way smeared across the sky.
I bought mine right after my divorce. A few of us used to pack a cooler and leave the city to avoid the lights. Was never that serious but man it was fun.

Just feel like its cash sitting in storage at this point.

Thoughts?

I bought mine right after my divorce. A few of us used to pack a cooler and leave the city to avoid the lights. Was never that serious but man it was fun.

Just feel like its cash sitting in storage at this point.

I gotta a bunch of stuff like that.
You kinda hate to get rid of it but on the other hand you never use it.
And the longer it sits the less it's worth.
I usually end up giving it away to a buddies kids if I dont think my Niece would be interested in it.

I was in a Florida hurricane back in 2001
Power was out for like a 100 square miles, so no lights for about a week.
The hurricane had scrubbed the sky clear of any pollution.
At night you could look up and the dark sky was full of stars.
I had never seen soo many stars, it was unbelievable!! .... :cool:

Everyone has their hobby. As for myself, if some telescope can't match Hubble, I'm not interested.

Some school somewhere would probably like to have it, even a grade school. Our local library is gearing up to check out learning equipment of all types, expanding beyond just books, CD's, and movies, and I'm sure that's the case around the country as well.

Thoughts?
I have one also I bought for my youngest and it sits in the spare room collecting dust.

Thoughts?
I rarelt use my telescope, to much light at night. It is only usefull out in the middle of no where. Do not feel bad but make it to the middle of no where every once in a while you deserve it.

Thoughts?
I'm betting you have an old Meade or Celestron goto alt/az. They are dime a dozen. If you really need the money, sell it on Astromart you'll get some money for it, or you could actually try using it and enjoy the Messier and other deep sky + Moon and planets.

Thoughts?
I understand, you want to longingly see the world you left behind, so you could come to this planet, and now you are homesick.

Forum List

Back