I Have a single, one mouse Problem, and Need Help!

Over-under on current number of mice currently in residence.

Mom, dad and one litter.

So far.

Gestatation 19ish days.

4 weeks to breeding age.

Next month geometric population explosion. They'll be everywhere in 60 days.

Been there, done that...
Agree 100%
As Barney Fife used to say you have to" nip.. it in the bud."
Get on top of it or spend a lot of time trying to catch up.

I don't have a problem with this thread, I just need to point out how many times, I came here with non breaking news issues and the moderators not only scolded me, but moved my thread to the fuck it room....just sayin...clearly theres complete bias here....carry on

HOWEVER, the bathroom off the mancave is where I have heard him... turns out, he fled to the cement enclosed crawl space below the house... he got in to the wall and flooring and crawl space by going through a tiny hole that the water pipes for our radiant heat, that come up from the crawl space, the heating unit is down there, plus the heating oil tank and water pump.... it's probably 3 and a half feet high down there.... we use it as storage....

I don't know what the mouse is eating now? we put everything in big plastic storage.

Mice can live off of almost anything. At my summer place, they devoured a taxidermy fish that we had mounted to the wall... srtripped it down to the skull.

Catching them alive and relocating them doesn't work, they just find their way back.

As harsh as it sounds, the best solution would be to get a typical snap trap. Death is instantaneous

upload_2020-1-21_5-27-4.jpeg

Bait it with peanut butter, that works every time.

I don't have a problem with this thread, I just need to point out how many times, I came here with non breaking news issues and the moderators not only scolded me, but moved my thread to the fuck it room....just sayin...clearly theres complete bias here....carry on
Hasn't anyone told you yet?

A sticky trap won't kill him, but the glue is so strong till you'll probably pull his legs off to get him away from the trap. Have you considered one of those ultrasonic pest repellers? It might give headaches to your cat or any young girls that might be around, though. It's a mouse. Just kill him.
i just can't kill him or her, not after my experience of watching the mama mouse care for her young, a few years back.... can not do it.... :(

IS THERE A WAY or trick, to getting the humane, no kill traps to work?
I admie your love of animals, but...this is ridiculous. You live on acreage, and you want to relocate field mice?? They carry diseases, you know.

So you understand that I understand, let me tell you my own experience with mice. I had a wine barrel planter in the back yard with plants in it. One day, I saw a mouse peeking over the top of the rim and I was so thrilled about that, I began to feed it. Little bits of this and that, and enjoying knowing I was caring for a fellow creature. Then another mouse showed up. TWO little heads poking up over the rim looking for their snack. It got to where I could tap on the barrel lightly and they would pop up and take the food from my two fingered offerings. Hubby said they are cute, yes, but once they start coming in the house..they are HIS and he will kill them. I just shrugged because no..they won't come in the house if I am feeding them regularly.

Then one day...hubby saw a mouse on the kitchen counter. He dispatched. Then another. Then another. Then another. He knew where they were coming from and so did I. Eventually, every time I used the stove, it stunk of burned mouse pee, mouse poo and dead mouse. So we both tackled the wine barrel. HUNDREDS came flooding out of it and by then most of the plants in the barrel were dead. We caught in traps at least 30 in one day. Believe me..there were alot of dead mice soon.

Mice multiply quickly, and there are MANY of them. Killing that mouse of yours will not make it murder, ya know. Nor cause it to become extinct. Kill it.

I did not really know what to do with it,

It was happening right now, so it was current! :) I expected it to be moved to the right spot by moderators, welcome it!!!!

A sticky trap won't kill him, but the glue is so strong till you'll probably pull his legs off to get him away from the trap. Have you considered one of those ultrasonic pest repellers? It might give headaches to your cat or any young girls that might be around, though. It's a mouse. Just kill him.
i just can't kill him or her, not after my experience of watching the mama mouse care for her young, a few years back.... can not do it.... :(

IS THERE A WAY or trick, to getting the humane, no kill traps to work?
I admie your love of animals, but...this is ridiculous. You live on acreage, and you want to relocate field mice?? They carry diseases, you know.

So you understand that I understand, let me tell you my own experience with mice. I had a wine barrel planter in the back yard with plants in it. One day, I saw a mouse peeking over the top of the rim and I was so thrilled about that, I began to feed it. Little bits of this and that, and enjoying knowing I was caring for a fellow creature. Then another mouse showed up. TWO little heads poking up over the rim looking for their snack. It got to where I could tap on the barrel lightly and they would pop up and take the food from my two fingered offerings. Hubby said they are cute, yes, but once they start coming in the house..they are HIS and he will kill them. I just shrugged because no..they won't come in the house if I am feeding them regularly.

Then one day...hubby saw a mouse on the kitchen counter. He dispatched. Then another. Then another. Then another. He knew where they were coming from and so did I. Eventually, every time I used the stove, it stunk of burned mouse pee, mouse poo and dead mouse. So we both tackled the wine barrel. HUNDREDS came flooding out of it and by then most of the plants in the barrel were dead. We caught in traps at least 30 in one day. Believe me..there were alot of dead mice soon.

Mice multiply quickly, and there are MANY of them. Killing that mouse of yours will not make it murder, ya know. Nor cause it to become extinct. Kill it.

Thanks Gracie! I really needed that bop upside of the head, to make me face REALITY!!!!! Your story convinced me! The mousey has got to go!

Could it be a chipmunk? She loves bringing those in too!

In the same bathroom, about 6 months ago, I went to go number 1, and luckily I looked before sitting down, there was a 3 inch or so baby chipmunk, that looked like a nearly drowned rat, in the toilet....

My neighbors a quarter mile away, surely heard my scream.... if I had that scream recorded, I could be a multi millionaire from all the movie companies for fright movies would be paying me and using it, for all eternity!!!! :lol:

Then I went in to rescue mode... put rubber gloves for an acid wash on, grabbed a handtowel, and got Mr chipmunk out, released him in to the wild.

ok

Let me begin by saying, I have a kitty cat, who my husband and I love dearly! She was a stray, that found us and picked us, to be her caretaker, or chose us, to be her slaves.... :)

the lord only knows where she came from...? We have several thousands of acres of forest that surrounds us and neighborhood with maybe 10 to 15 homes in the whole area, two others on our dirt road and immediate area.....

Someone likely dropped her off and dumped her, the only other option is there is a Lobsterman, that has a whole compound of buildings and barns on his property that sits back in, and off the road, about a quarter of a mile away that we have seen a whole bunch of different cats lounging in the sun near the road... maybe she came from there?

Well, my kitty LOVES field mice (and shrimp)(and rabbit).... the shrimp in Maine are tiny, popcorn sized shrimp, not like Florida where I used to Shrimp off a bridge near the condo I lived in, and could catch almost colossal sized shrimp right off the bridge at night! Yummy! But if she is from the Lobsterman's house down the road, then him giving the dregs of his fishing to all of his barn cats, would make some sense to her loving them....

Any way, we broke her from catching the field mice and eating the mice a few years back, thank God! But then she changed to just catching the field mice and then bringing them home, (through a window that she jumps to so to get back in if 'mommy kitty', moi, is not paying attention and checking the door for her majesty, that I usually leave opened, when she is outside in the summer....)

Well, all other mice brought in, the hubby and kitty work together to corner it, catch it, and then hubby releases it in to the wood pile away from the house.... a typical routine....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

She brought a mouse in, when I was not looking, the end of summer.... had to be summer, because I clearly had the window opened.... for her to bring it in, maybe I was taking a nap, or in the shower? I don't know?

Anyway, we could not figure out why she kept sitting in front of the pantry closet, for hours at a time, for weeks... the pantry closet with shelves we put in, is in Matt's mancave right off the kitchen, so I wrote it off to her just wanting to be near 'daddy kitty' when he was home from work??? stupid stupid me!

So Matt finally decided, something was wrong, can't remember what triggered him? But decided to take everything out of the pantry, and low and behold, on the ground, under the shelving, a mouse had a nice comfy bed made out of its of torn cardboard. What a CHORE and Nightmare, we had to go through everything, look for holes or openings to anything packaged and threw out half the pantry goods, just to be safe... the mouse likes pasta! and bit in to a beef broth carton for his liquid....

So Matt cleared out completely the nest and disinfected the pantry floor and all the scuzzy things that husbands are good for.... :D

The mouse was never found.

HOWEVER, the bathroom off the mancave is where I have heard him... turns out, he fled to the cement enclosed crawl space below the house... he got in to the wall and flooring and crawl space by going through a tiny hole that the water pipes for our radiant heat, that come up from the crawl space, the heating unit is down there, plus the heating oil tank and water pump.... it's probably 3 and a half feet high down there.... we use it as storage....

I don't know what the mouse is eating now? we put everything in big plastic storage.

HOW CAN WE CATCH THE MOUSE WITHOUT KILLING THE MOUSE?
You can use a live catch mouse trap... Walmart sell them online...
I have the no kill traps, for nearly a month now, and can not catch it..... I was wondering if there are any tricks to making those no kill traps, work?

Never used one but if you can use some peanut butter to lure it in...

Tell you a funny story I had this old coon cat that would not chase a mouse until one day the mouse got so gutsy it went into that cat dish, well let just say that mouse met it maker...

Now my little mutt of a dog catches them and plays with them until they die...

Crazy little guy...you could try putting a long pipe that is blocked at one end and if you know the mouse is in it then lift the pipe up and block it at the other end and take the pipe to a good distance near a creek and release the guy...

Forum List

Back