I just joined the elite.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Only ten percent of buildings here are adequately insulated. With the addition of R-49 insulation to my attic I became one of the elites in this regard. I'm also one of only a few in my city that uses "off peak" electric rates, which improves the efficiency of the power grid and saves me a few bucks. So, I'm also an elite in this regard as well. :biggrin:

Only ten percent of buildings here are adequately insulated. With the addition of R-49 insulation to my attic I became one of the elites in this regard. I'm also one of only a few in my city that uses "off peak" electric rates, which improves the efficiency of the power grid and saves me a few bucks. So, I'm also an elite in this regard as well. :biggrin:
Do wood nuts cause splinters to lodge in your sack?

Well, ain't you just the cat's pajamas.

I have posted this before but in case anyone missed it, this.

First, to set the stage. Taking advantage of off-peak electric rates, I have to reduce my daytime use of electricity. Therefore, I had to shut my ac down at 10 am and not start it up until 9 pm. On a hot day the house would go from 70 degrees at 10 am to nearly 80 degrees by 6-7 pm, making it very uncomfortable. I would run a fan until 10 pm when off peak rates kicked in.

After adding R-49 insulation I can shut the ac off at 7 am and the house stays comfortably cool until I retire at around 10-11 pm. On a day when the temperature reaches 90 degrees the house only gains 4-5 degrees from 7 am until 10 pm.

Even I, who isn't surprised by much, was pleasantly surprised by the incredible efficiency of adequate insulation. :)

Flippant would be like: so you paid $4K, sent illegal Mexicans up into your hot attic to spray or install top $$$ insulation. Did you check the work?

Now you save $50/mo? Do you plan to live till payback? Profitability in ~8 yrs. WINNING!

Last edited:
Flippant would be like: so you paid $4K, sent illegal Mexicans up into your hot attack to spray or install top $$$ insulation. Did you check the work?

Now you save $50/mo? Do you plan to live till payback? Profitability in ~8 yrs. WINNING!
Insulating an attic is fairly cheap and easily done by the owner. I did my own as professionals wouldn't have done the job right and would have robbed me blind. What they have little of I have plenty of...time (one of the most misunderstood aspects of life on planet earth).

I think I have too much insulation. I can't even see the joists when I go up into the attic they sprayed it so deep. Made running network cables a pain in the ass.

Careful Mr Woody Nut . Too much Virtue Signalling can lead to a fall , from too much pride . But good for you on those sensible improvements .I am letting my hair grow very long to guard against global warming .

I got a plan, but wood prices have to come down first.

Gonna get some styrofoam, too.

Forum List

Back