I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
My sentiment:

"Who gives a fuck?" wasn't an option.

I am so sick of people using Christmas to try and drive a wedge between people (regardless of side, and frankly, the pro-Christmas people are much better at it).

It's deliciously ironic.

Really? You don't give a fuck but you posted in the thread. So apparently you do give a fuck or you wouldn't have bothered. Funny how that works.

But the pro-Christmas people are really driving the wedge between people? Do you really believe that? Which of those pro-Christmas people REQUIRE anybody else to celebrate Christmas as they celebrate it? If the anti-Christmas people had just stayed out of it, and let Americans celebrate Christmas as they have for generation after generation, do you think we would be having this dicussion now?

You misread my statement. I don't "give a fuck" that some people choose to become histrionic about this situation. I will continue to comment about things on a message board that I find mildly entertaining. I know, it's a radical notion.

As for the rest: I really don't give a fuck.

If you want to continue to be a dupe and listen to the "War on Christmas" clowns and buy their crap that reinforces your own innate paranoia, then go for it.

Ah another one that didn't bother to read the thread before posting. Oh well, Merry Christmas anyway Geaux.

The kids in a classroom want to make a paper mache nativity scene. The teacher asks if everybody wants to do that and all do. Would you have a problem with that?

I agree it would be inappropriate for the school itself to put up a nativity scene, but why shouldn't there be a Christmas tree called a CHRISTMAS tree (all caps for emphasis bones) complete with lights, tinsel, ornaments, and a star on top even though that star symbolizes the star of Bethlehem for the Christians and is just a star to everybody else? It is a national holiday and has been since 1870 with Christmas being celebrated in schools long before that.

Why should public school students be denied the ability to learn and experience all the magnificent traditional Christmas music over the ages even though some of it is based on religious themes? None of that should be taught as theology of course in the public schools, but to learn and perform the music itself? To me it is ridiculous to deny all the students, Christian and non Christian alike, that wonderful experience.

Christmas is a national holiday and should be celebrated as Christmas and not be required to be transformed into something else. I do not understand why Christmas should be offensive to anybody.

Yes i would have a problem with nativity crafts on several levels. The teacher should lead a class and not follow for one. Second it is not the right place for it.

Its not 1870 any more so the ideas of 1870 are a bit out of date. We have become a bit more all inclusive since then.

I would have no problem with a holiday tree decorated with anything and everything so long as it was secular and not religious. A tree with lights, crafts kids made in class so long as it did not reflect any religious images.

If parents want their children to experience a magnificent traditional christmas then they can do that at home... at church or send their children to private religious schools.

Christmas is not offensive. Public school is just not the place for religious...anything.

But you don't see it coercive and indoctrination to deny a school child the right to create a Christmas 'craft' of his/her choice that did reflect a religious image important to him/her? A manger scene? The three wisemen? A shepherd with his sheep? You would deny that child the right to put his image on that Christmas tree? The children should be told that their concept of Christmas will not be allowed in the school through that manger scene or anything else?

Why?

No i dont think it is coercive or indoctrination at all. The teacher should lead the class, not the students.

Class we are all decorating balloons with yarn and putting glitter on them...and then putting them on the holiday tree. Class we are all goring to make a house out of graham crackers. Class we are all going to make show flakes not to decorate the room.

Children are denied what they can and cant do in school all the time. I am pretty sure a swastika would not be allowed. Religion is no different.

I have no problem with christmass..... LOL...you should see my house. Its one our big events, huge and extravagant.

In my opinion public school is not the place for any religion other then academicaly.... this is this religion and this is that religion... both good and bad shit for both.

As far as saying merry christmas to each his own.

Yes i would have a problem with nativity crafts on several levels. The teacher should lead a class and not follow for one. Second it is not the right place for it.

Its not 1870 any more so the ideas of 1870 are a bit out of date. We have become a bit more all inclusive since then.

I would have no problem with a holiday tree decorated with anything and everything so long as it was secular and not religious. A tree with lights, crafts kids made in class so long as it did not reflect any religious images.

If parents want their children to experience a magnificent traditional christmas then they can do that at home... at church or send their children to private religious schools.

Christmas is not offensive. Public school is just not the place for religious...anything.

But you don't see it coercive and indoctrination to deny a school child the right to create a Christmas 'craft' of his/her choice that did reflect a religious image important to him/her? A manger scene? The three wisemen? A shepherd with his sheep? You would deny that child the right to put his image on that Christmas tree? The children should be told that their concept of Christmas will not be allowed in the school through that manger scene or anything else?

Why?

No i dont think it is coercive or indoctrination at all. The teacher should lead the class, not the students.

Class we are all decorating balloons with yarn and putting glitter on them...and then putting them on the holiday tree. Class we are all goring to make a house out of graham crackers. Class we are all going to make show flakes not to decorate the room.

Children are denied what they can and cant do in school all the time. I am pretty sure a swastika would not be allowed. Religion is no different.

I have no problem with christmass..... LOL...you should see my house. Its one our big events, huge and extravagant.

In my opinion public school is not the place for any religion other then academicaly.... this is this religion and this is that religion... both good and bad shit for both.

Ah, I had forgotten how much school has changed. I still remember in grade school the teachers giving us a theme to illustrate and leaving it up to us how we would do that. Creativity was encouraged and even at that tender age I was amazed and impressed at some of the stuff my classmates came up with. I guess those days are long gone. A pity though.

Oh well. Merry Christmas Syrenn. My hat is off to you just the same for braving the world of education in these difficult times.

Why?

I strongly agree with the highlighted statement.

However, Christmas is the national holiday. Education includes the history and purpose behind all the other national holidays. When I was in school religion was neither emphasized nor forbidden. Each student was free to express it or not as he or she chose so long as it was not disruptive to the class. That is a freedom I think the Founders intended and I think they would be horrified to think modern education would deny ANY of the imagery, symbolism, or historical references to the underpinnings of the national holiday. In my view such IS academic content. And it certainly can be allowed and discussed without inserting anybody's personal religious beliefs or dogma.

Why?

Ah, I had forgotten how much school has changed. I still remember in grade school the teachers giving us a theme to illustrate and leaving it up to us how we would do that. Creativity was encouraged and even at that tender age I was amazed and impressed at some of the stuff my classmates came up with. I guess those days are long gone. A pity though.

Oh well. Merry Christmas Syrenn. My hat is off to you just the same for braving the world of education in these difficult times.

Creativity went down the tubs with political correctness, sensitivity training, and zero tolerance and not offending anyone for anything for any reason. We had a friends son suspended for making something that "looked like a gun" out of straws in an art class.

Merry
Christmas
FF​

However, Christmas is the national holiday. Education includes the history and purpose behind all the other national holidays. When I was in school religion was neither emphasized nor forbidden. Each student was free to express it or not as he or she chose so long as it was not disruptive to the class. That is a freedom I think the Founders intended and I think they would be horrified to think modern education would deny ANY of the imagery, symbolism, or historical references to the underpinnings of the national holiday. In my view such IS academic content. And it certainly can be allowed and discussed without inserting anybody's personal religious beliefs or dogma.

I hate to say it FF, but people saying what you are saying...and i am not saying that is bad.... but sooner or later the trouble maker shit disturbers are going to force "christmas" changed to the "winter holiday".

When we were in school there were no muslims to appease either. :eusa_whistle:

Try reading what I have written, including re Jewish families. Already answered.

Christmas is not a Jewish holiday. I have no problem whatsoever with Jewish people celebrating Hannukah or Yom Kippor or whatever they wish to celebrate. I am not the least offended by Jewish greetings nor Jewish customs nor Jewish imagery and symbols and in fact find them charming.

I'm not asking if you're offended by Hanukkah. I'm telling you to talk to some Jewish families and see if they want their kids to be saturated in a month of Christian religious traditions at school.

Try reading what I have written, including re Jewish families. Already answered.

Christmas is not a Jewish holiday. I have no problem whatsoever with Jewish people celebrating Hannukah or Yom Kippor or whatever they wish to celebrate. I am not the least offended by Jewish greetings nor Jewish customs nor Jewish imagery and symbols and in fact find them charming.

I'm not asking if you're offended by Hanukkah. I'm telling you to talk to some Jewish families and see if they want their kids to be saturated in a month of Christian religious traditions at school.

None of the jewish people i know care one bit. They come and do christmas with me.

That's just stupid. It's not our holiday. Sheesh!

Really? You don't give a fuck but you posted in the thread. So apparently you do give a fuck or you wouldn't have bothered. Funny how that works.

But the pro-Christmas people are really driving the wedge between people? Do you really believe that? Which of those pro-Christmas people REQUIRE anybody else to celebrate Christmas as they celebrate it? If the anti-Christmas people had just stayed out of it, and let Americans celebrate Christmas as they have for generation after generation, do you think we would be having this dicussion now?

You misread my statement. I don't "give a fuck" that some people choose to become histrionic about this situation. I will continue to comment about things on a message board that I find mildly entertaining. I know, it's a radical notion.

If you want to continue to be a dupe and listen to the "War on Christmas" clowns and buy their crap that reinforces your own innate paranoia, then go for it.

Ah another one that didn't bother to read the thread before posting. Oh well, Merry Christmas anyway Geaux.

Oh, I am sorry.

Help me to understand how this thread and your OP aren't the typical "War On Christmas" banality.

None of the jewish people i know care one bit. They come and do christmas with me.

You mean that they come to your house?

I married into a jewish family. Does that count as "knowing" or 'talking" to any jews? We go to their house on christmas and do a huge chirstmas dinner, some years they come to mine.

That's right, we do gift exchange on :eek: christmas. Many christmas gifts are warped in silver and blue others with santa and the like. My mother in law puts up a santa in a sleigh on her mantle piece... gorgeous.

You mean that they come to your house?

I married into a jewish family. Does that count as "knowing" or 'talking" to any jews? We go to their house on christmas and do a huge chirstmas dinner, some years they come to mine.

That's right, we do gift exchange on :eek: christmas. Many christmas gifts are warped in silver and blue others with santa and the like. My mother in law puts up a santa in a sleigh on her mantle piece... gorgeous.

It counts as not being anything that we're discussing in the thread.

It counts as not being anything that we're discussing in the thread.

Then why did you bring it up as something that would count in this discussion...the knowing of any jews or talking to them?

I hate to say it FF, but people saying what you are saying...and i am not saying that is bad.... but sooner or later the trouble maker shit disturbers are going to force "christmas" changed to the "winter holiday".

When we were in school there were no muslims to appease either. :eusa_whistle:

You may be right, but I think a national culture is worth fighting for. Christmas is a part of our national heritage instituted by the first people who came here to build a new nation. It was selected to be celebrated as a national holiday due to the overwhelming majority of Americans who celebrate Christmas as Christmas and because of its historical roots in this nation.

Why should anybody need appeasement? Why should anybody be offended by that? Everybody is free to participate or not as they choose. As I previously posted, as one of a small minority of Christians in Israel, I certainly would not expect that nation to change its nationally observed Jewish festivals to something secular. Nor would I expect Israel to institute Christmas as a national holiday. It is not part of their culture despite the fact that it originated in their country. It did not become part of anybody's culture until the Europeans made it so and then imported it to the New World. I would appreciate the ability to celebrate Christmas in Israel however as I think our American Jews appreciate the ability to celebrate their festivals without fear here. Ditto for any other faith that recognizes certain events, dates, feast days, etc. Or those who don't want to participate in any of it.

Oh, I am sorry.

Help me to understand how this thread and your OP aren't the typical "War On Christmas" banality.

It's the same War on Christmas banality promoted by Fox News. Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I don't. I think it's absurd that people think EVERYONE SHOULD if you're an American.

What's truly American, are Native American traditions.

Last edited:
We Christians can say Merry X-Mas. The X was the sign for Christ in the days of the Empire, and illiterate peasants could see it written or posted on the ancient message board (yeah, they were in every village and town and city) and know something was going on about Christ and the Christians.

So if someone gets put out of shape by x-mas today, explain that it is an unwitting witness to Christ.

Too much umbrage is made over the phrases. Wish anybody as is appropriate for you, and I will do the same.

Forum List

Back