I see no need to own a cast iron pan

AveMarica

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2023
It seems cast iron has had a resurgence in popularity and some folks are borderline cult-like over it, but I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason to own one instead of stainless steel. They are heavy (I like to flip food), take longer to heat up, aren't responsive, react with acidic ingredients, and you can't just soak the pan to clean later since it will rust out. I don't get the appeal.

It seems cast iron has had a resurgence in popularity and some folks are borderline cult-like over it, but I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason to own one instead of stainless steel. They are heavy (I like to flip food), take longer to heat up, aren't responsive, react with acidic ingredients, and you can't just soak the pan to clean later since it will rust out. I don't get the appeal.
one good reason is they last forever and dont contain any toxic chemicals,,

and you dont have to worry about damaging them other than dropping them,,

OH they are great marital aids for disciplining a spouse

We have several. All hand me downs. I don't disagree with you generally. You can get enamel coated cast iron if you want to avoid the reaction. For general frying, I prefer non-coated stainless.

I like black iron skillets, griddles, and dutch ovens. Always have. They are fine for the kitchen, but particularly good in camp. They are hard core, promote even heating, and if properly cured, relatively easy to clean for frying, for stewing or making cobblers in the ground. I took one with me last week camping.

Food tastes much better in a cast iron pan. If you wash it, you really destroy it. I had a cast iron pan for years. Water never touched it.
It's not advised to wash them with soap and water .. it won't destroy them, it will negate the seasoning that provides protection and the "non-stick" surface. Water is fine, as it is a common approach to boil after your cook to clean / steam the surface.

My wife swears by them.
1697501278001.gif

There are a number of reasons:
  • You can easily transfer food from stove top to oven (sear to roast)
  • Multiple cooking styles: Sear, Fry, Roast, Bake, Broil, etc.
  • Awesome Heat retention
  • Heat distribution
  • Seasoning adds flavor over time
  • Seasoning provides the non-stick surface
  • Easy to clean with water / brush (no soap)

It's not advised to wash them with soap and water .. it won't destroy them, it will negate the seasoning that provides protection and the "non-stick" surface. Water is fine, as it is a common approach to boil after your cook to clean / steam the surface.
Ditch the water. Use oil and kosher salt.

Jesus Christ, do you think anyone cares if you have one or not?

Why does anyone have to give you a reason, good or otherwise, for owning a cast iron utensil?

Own one or not.

Food tastes much better in a cast iron pan. If you wash it, you really destroy it. I had a cast iron pan for years. Water never touched it.
Correct.... You season it why a hardened carbon film. Takes a couple months to build it right.
Then never use degreaser on it.. Simply wipe it out with paper towels.

Forum List

Back