I should have done this long ago...

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
One must resolve to let go of the things he cannot control. At 30 years of age, I should have already learned to do that. I wasn't always as mature as the other kids my age at school, but there it is.

I wish I had learned to come to that realization a few years ago over a favorite TV show, The Legend of Korra, that featured a bisexual lead character. Despite subtle clues throughout the show hinting at the bisexuality of the lead character, I went on oblivious, assuming she would be hetero like mostly everything else I watched.

Call me sentimental if you like, but it was based off another show that I liked as a teenager, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Lo and behold my surprise upon the revelation that Korra and Asami were girlfriends. For some reason I couldn't get over it. I was outraged. Looking back, I wasn't ready for it, not in the state of mind I was in then.

So, I spent the past few years since then doing some soul searching, and tonight I finally let go of the last vestiges of my contempt.

I'm too old to be intolerant towards other people and different concepts. My mental state cannot sustain it. I want to enjoy life, not measure it according to my biases. I must do what I can to fight my fears and misconceptions and bring more joy back into my life.

As such I must embrace the clearly existent diversity of my world. The Vulcans of Star Trek would call this "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." My faith in God still drives me, but I cannot go about life with a closed mind. Not anymore.

I guess this is a case where watching too much TV actually did me some good for once.

I should have done this a long time ago.

Last edited:
God helps only those who help themselves.

It's not enough to have faith in God only. And stop thinking too much about anything.

One must resolve to let go of the things he cannot control. At 30 years of age, I should have already learned to do that. I wasn't always as mature as the other kids my age at school, but there it is.

I wish I had learned to come to that realization a few years ago over a favorite TV show, The Legend of Korra, that featured a bisexual lead character. Despite subtle clues throughout the show hinting at the bisexuality of the lead character, I went on oblivious, assuming she would be hetero like mostly everything else I watched.

Call me sentimental if you like, but it was based off another show that I liked as a teenager, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Lo and behold my surprise upon the revelation that Korra and Asami were girlfriends. For some reason I couldn't get over it. I was outraged. Looking back, I wasn't ready for it, not in the state of mind I was in then.

So, I spent the past few years since then doing some soul searching, and tonight I finally let go of the last vestiges of my contempt.

I'm too old to be intolerant towards other people and different concepts. My mental state cannot sustain it. I want to enjoy life, not measure it according to my biases. I must do what I can to fight my fears and misconceptions and bring more joy back into my life.

As such I must embrace the clearly existent diversity of my world. The Vulcans of Star Trek would call this "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." My faith in God still drives me, but I cannot go about life with a closed mind. Not anymore.

I guess this is a case where watching too much TV actually did me some good for once.

TemplarKormac
Reminds me of the controversy over turning Sulu "gay" in Star Trek.
Even George Takei, who is openly gay in real life, opposed this as
inconsistent with the character as created by Roddenberry, and
urged the writers to create a NEW character instead out of respect for the original.

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

The feeling of "betrayal" to the original story,
and the disturbing feeling of "someone externally manipulating"
the story for ulterior motives can undermine the credibility
of the characters and story as being "unnatural contrived."

I lost any sense of credibility I had with "Walking Dead"
when the writers kept introducing "gratuitous" relations
(not only a gay couple, but also tried to sell the idea of
the two strongest leads as an interracial couple which I never bought into.
If it had been set up differently from the BEGINNING it might have seemed
natural, but I saw no chemistry no connection at all. Just convenience for the writers.).

I didn't feel "angry" or betrayed, I just felt the writers intentions
overshadowed the series and I didn't believe the story anymore.
I could only think about the thought process and decisions
of the writers, which was glaring, and no longer believed the characters.

Ruined it for me, but I enjoyed the series while it was consistent
and extremely creative writing and production. Until they ran out of ideas
and started doing whatever they THOUGHT was going to sell? Not sure!

at 30 you are unemployed and living in a relative's basement? there are many things you should have done a long time ago

And who's telling the kids this stuff?

When I grew up I hardly got any information that was relevant and useful. I didn't study subjects at school that were relevant or useful to the outside world either.

It was like "your word is Math, Science, English, Geography, History" when in reality my world now isn't anything like that at all.

at 30 you are unemployed and living in a relative's basement? there are many things you should have done a long time ago

I'll take this post of yours as an outburst of fear. Don't worry, it's gonna be okay. Changing one's own worldview is a scary thing. Sad that you insist on clinging onto your own bitterness.

And for the record, that relative raised me from the age of 2. She rescued me from a potential life on the streets or foster care when my birth parents wouldn't bother taking responsibility for the product of their sexual escapades.

She rescued my father from an abusive mother. That relative spent the past 40 years of her life making sure that he and I didn't go without.

I'll do anything for her. For that reason I stay by her side.

You know nothing about me. So shut your damned mouth.

Now if you'll excuse me, I believe you have earned a permanent place on my ignore list.

Last edited:

Tolerance is a degenerative disease.

Forum List

Back