i thought it was just one cell phone

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
FBI and local police forces now working on unlocking all cell phones under investigation.

give the government an inch, it takes a mile.

it's "not clear" if the FBI has the ability to unlock that model cell phone, or all of them

They, the FBI, were forced to do it on their own and they did it. Now they and law enforcement reap the benefits. You seem to have a problem with that. Not sure why however. Care to explain?

fbi CLAIMS to have unlocked that phone , law enforcement can say anything they like , who knows if their claim is true . Owners of these phones should sue the phone makers that gave some sort of guarantee of privacy AMSO !!

They, the FBI, were forced to do it on their own and they did it. Now they and law enforcement reap the benefits. You seem to have a problem with that. Not sure why however. Care to explain?

So if Apple created a program to open up that phone, the FBI and local law enforcement would not have benefited?

Only two kinds of people would be happy that the government is spying on them. Corrupt government officials and idiots who think the government is their friend.

what do they mean by "open", "unlock" or whatever?

my iphone has a 6 digit code i type in to use it, is that what they mean? it is just numbers no letters.

If they've really cracked the iPhone, it will last exactly as long as it takes Apple to build a better encryption system and update their phone software.

There are also countless third-party encryption programs for phones.

my iphone has a 6 digit code i type in to use it, is that what they mean? it is just numbers no letters.

The I-phone has a security system built in so that nobody can guess your ID. If you type in the wrong number, it will allow you to retry a few times. After that, it has a time delay so you can't try it again after a couple of minutes. If you continue to fail, the phone will keep adding a time delay before you can try to type in your security number again. It then expands to hours and even days.

If you continue to fail entering your code, the phone will erase everything on it, and it's virtually useless.

If they've really cracked the iPhone, it will last exactly as long as it takes Apple to build a better encryption system and update their phone software.

Correct, and this is what Apple promised for their future phones.

The I-phone has a security system built in so that nobody can guess your ID. If you type in the wrong number, it will allow you to retry a few times. After that, it has a time delay so you can't try it again after a couple of minutes. If you continue to fail, the phone will keep adding a time delay before you can try to type in your security number again. It then expands to hours and even days.

If you continue to fail entering your code, the phone will erase everything on it, and it's virtually useless.

If you choose that setting, the phone will wipe itself completely after 10 wrong password attempts.

Correct, and this is what Apple promised for their future phones.

I'm a Galaxy guy, anyway - and there's more third-party encryption stuff for Android.

This. I don't understand what the problem is. I was very much against the FBI being able to demand apple do their dirty work for them - that is unconstitutional IMO. However, there was never really a real question weather or not the government could unlock the phone nor any illusion that they would not apply that to any phone that they have 'under investigation.' Nor should they avoid doing so - that would be silly.

If the government gets the warrant to search a phone then they are going to search it - exactly how the process is supposed to work.

FBI and local police forces now working on unlocking all cell phones under investigation.

it's "not clear" if the FBI has the ability to unlock that model cell phone, or all of them
This is so ignorant and stupid one hardly knows where to begin.

Setting aside for the moment there’s no link to a credible source documenting that law enforcement is attempting to unlock ‘all’ cell phones ‘under investigation,’ if that’s indeed the case they’re doing so pursuant to a warrant or court order.

Otherwise, absent the consent of the owner, a warrant, or a court order, any information garnered from the phone is inadmissible as evidence, and can’t be used to prosecute the phone’s owner.

10 to 1 someone from Apple told them how.

Bank on it
I've been saying that since the FBI announced they could do it without Apple's help, then left them alone. No way they would not have still gone after Apple. Apple cooperated with the FBI and in return the FBI lied to protect Apple.

Why would you expect something different? Why should the government be barred from investigating a cell phones content where a warrant has been issued?

This is EXACTLY how things are supposed to work. The problem with the Apple case was never the government being able to crack a phone and investigate it - that has ALWAYS been and will continue to be one of the police powers that the government has. The real issue was weather or not the government could demand that a company be required to di it for them and, by extension, build these backdoors into the coding itself.

The FBI was told no, they cannot force a company to do their dirty work for them. They certainly are not barred from getting off their ass and doing the work themselves.

If you choose that setting, the phone will wipe itself completely after 10 wrong password attempts.

That may be true, I don't know. I just got an update a few days ago, and it prompted me to use the fingerprint option to open my phone. That kind of scares me a bit. However, if the terrorist used that option, it would simply be a matter of putting the finger of the dead body on the phone to gain access.

I can't wait to see if they found anything on that phone. I think it would be funny as all hell if they went through all this bull, and there was nothing of interest on it.

10 to 1 someone from Apple told them how.

Bank on it
I've been saying that since the FBI announced they could do it without Apple's help, then left them alone. No way they would not have still gone after Apple. Apple cooperated with the FBI and in return the FBI lied to protect Apple.
That is nonsensical. The FBI does not want Apples complicit cooperation, they want that cooperation enshrined in legal precedence so that they never have to bother with cracking technology themselves (and never have to worry about not being able to either) by making the companies that produce encryption software responsible for opening it up.

The court case was never really about that single phone - there was never a real question that the government - the entity that commands more resources than any other entity on the entire planet, that has access to the most advanced technology on the planet and the entity that can spend whatever it wants without consequence was unable to crack open one of the most common pieces of tech in peoples pockets.

It was all about forcing a legal precedence so they never have to do it again.

That may be true, I don't know. I just got an update a few days ago, and it prompted me to use the fingerprint option to open my phone. That kind of scares me a bit. However, if the terrorist used that option, it would simply be a matter of putting the finger of the dead body on the phone to gain access.

I can't wait to see if they found anything on that phone. I think it would be funny as all hell if they went through all this bull, and there was nothing of interest on it.
I doubt they are going to release that info anytime soon but I bet dimes to doughnuts that there is nothing at all. You know they are salivating over something that they can point to as a reason that their failed push on Apple should have gone the other way.

Forum List

Back