i thought it was just one cell phone

what do they mean by "open", "unlock" or whatever?

my iphone has a 6 digit code i type in to use it, is that what they mean? it is just numbers no letters.

The I-phone has a security system built in so that nobody can guess your ID. If you type in the wrong number, it will allow you to retry a few times. After that, it has a time delay so you can't try it again after a couple of minutes. If you continue to fail, the phone will keep adding a time delay before you can try to type in your security number again. It then expands to hours and even days.

If you continue to fail entering your code, the phone will erase everything on it, and it's virtually useless.

If you choose that setting, the phone will wipe itself completely after 10 wrong password attempts.

Mine has the fingerprint access. Fascinating to set it up. You can see the imprint of your finger filling out as you tap until the image is complete and the "Done" prompt appears.

Edited: Police also use a person's cell phone as a way of discerning if they were texting before causing an traffic accident, and also contacting known relatives in the event someone is in an accident or other incident in which they can't communicate. That's the up side. So with my system, I'm knocked out and can't communicate, they can take my forefinger, place it on the access button and they are in.

Last edited:
Agreed. This, however, has no connection with the topic at hand or what the FBI has done with the phones in question. They are talking about hacking a phone they have in their possession, not intercepting the signal it sends out.

The phone in question belonged to the agency the shithead worked for not him. Nobody's rights were violated and more to the point, the delay hurt law enforcement's ability to get anything or anybody useful from the hack.

Government will always find ways around the law to violate our rights. And when one method is stopped, they'll find another.
http://gizmodo.com/fbi-says-it-doesnt-need-a-warrant-to-listen-in-on-phone-1677609130
Agreed. This, however, has no connection with the topic at hand or what the FBI has done with the phones in question. They are talking about hacking a phone they have in their possession, not intercepting the signal it sends out.
Yes, except they will not stop with that one phone.
No Warrant, No Problem: How the Government Can Get Your Digital Data

Only two kinds of people would be happy that the government is spying on them. Corrupt government officials and idiots who think the government is their friend.
More ignorance and stupidity.

Again, law enforcement obtaining information from a phone pursuant to a lawful court order is not ‘spying’; and absent a lawful court order any information obtained is useless, also not ‘spying.’
The ignorance and stupidity is idiots like you thinking the government will stop at lawful court orders.

Look, Bush and Cheney pushed the Patriot Act through in 2003 and Obama reauthorized it. So access to a suspected terrorist's or confirmed terrorist's cell phone by authorities is a flea on a dog.

They, the FBI, were forced to do it on their own and they did it. Now they and law enforcement reap the benefits. You seem to have a problem with that. Not sure why however. Care to explain?

I think everyone should have a problem with the govt hacking into private property.

Free speech is rarely private property, if ever. Also, that particular phone was no longer private as it was involved in criminal activity as are the many currently in the hands of law enforcement. You nor Apple have any bitch when a crime has been committed. Hence, private property not withstanding, give it up! You loose!

Only two kinds of people would be happy that the government is spying on them. Corrupt government officials and idiots who think the government is their friend.
More ignorance and stupidity.

Again, law enforcement obtaining information from a phone pursuant to a lawful court order is not ‘spying’; and absent a lawful court order any information obtained is useless, also not ‘spying.’
The ignorance and stupidity is idiots like you thinking the government will stop at lawful court orders.

Look, Bush and Cheney pushed the Patriot Act through in 2003 and Obama reauthorized it. So access to a suspected terrorist's or confirmed terrorist's cell phone by authorities is a flea on a dog.
The new powers that the FBI was seeking in the case against Apple was no flea. more like a Sherman tank on a dog.

Government will always find ways around the law to violate our rights. And when one method is stopped, they'll find another.
http://gizmodo.com/fbi-says-it-doesnt-need-a-warrant-to-listen-in-on-phone-1677609130

That has nothing to do with what I just stated.

The phone in question belonged to the agency the shithead worked for not him. Nobody's rights were violated and more to the point, the delay hurt law enforcement's ability to get anything or anybody useful from the hack.

You are correct. The authorities had every right to do what they wanted with that phone. However, using a court to force a company to create a way to get into that phone is what's questionable.

Government can ask a private company to do work for them, but not force them to do work for them. That's the real issue.

Were I in your shoes I would move to a new location, destroy all of my credit cards, change my name, get a new SSAN, have a face job to change my look, speak only Yiddish, and never go out in public. You should be safe from illegal search and seizure. North Korea wants folks such as yourself. A plus with North Korea is they would never violate your rights as you will have none for them to violate. Another tid bit of information. There were no cell phones when the American Constitution was penned, according to the "word on the street". Americans are such wusses!

They, the FBI, were forced to do it on their own and they did it. Now they and law enforcement reap the benefits. You seem to have a problem with that. Not sure why however. Care to explain?

I think everyone should have a problem with the govt hacking into private property.

If you commit a crime, you lose your privacy.

If you get pulled over and the cop sees what looks like heroin and a syringe, he has the right to search that car, he has the right to confiscate evidence from that car, he has the right to tow that car, he has the right to take all personal belongings in your pocket, wallet or purse and go through that as well.

If a terrorist kills several people, yes, the authorities have a right to search that cell phone if they can.

Were I in your shoes I would move to a new location, destroy all of my credit cards, change my name, get a new SSAN, have a face job to change my look, speak only Yiddish, and never go out in public. You should be safe from illegal search and seizure. North Korea wants folks such as yourself. A plus with North Korea is they would never violate your rights as you will have none for them to violate. Another tid bit of information. There were no cell phones when the American Constitution was penned, according to the "word on the street". Americans are such wusses!
Seems to me YOU are the one who should move to NK since you don't appreciate rights.

If you get pulled over and the cop sees what looks like heroin and a syringe, he has the right to search that car, he has the right to confiscate evidence from that car, he has the right to tow that car, he has the right to take all personal belongings in your pocket, wallet or purse and go through that as well.

If a terrorist kills several people, yes, the authorities have a right to search that cell phone if they can.
No one is saying otherwise. The problem is that showing government how to hack into one phone is showing them how to hack into all phones, and they have shown repeatedly that they will violate everyone else's rights with that knowledge.

You are correct. The authorities had every right to do what they wanted with that phone. However, using a court to force a company to create a way to get into that phone is what's questionable.

Government can ask a private company to do work for them, but not force them to do work for them. That's the real issue.

This this and more this. The point that no one wants to address.

No one is saying otherwise. The problem is that showing government how to hack into one phone is showing them how to hack into all phones, and they have shown repeatedly that they will violate everyone else's rights with that knowledge.

As I said, I don't believe it's constitutional for a court to order Apple to work for them. If we cross those lines, what else is next?

However if the FBI did find a way into that phone, I don't think there is any reason to stop them. It's in their possession and they can do with that phone as they please.

FBI and local police forces now working on unlocking all cell phones under investigation.

give the government an inch, it takes a mile.

it's "not clear" if the FBI has the ability to unlock that model cell phone, or all of them
Oh common now, are you really that naïve? Criminals or terrorist USE this to their advantage. If the FBI wants info on my phone, I will personally give them the password. I like privacy, but have nothing to hide, either.

FBI and local police forces now working on unlocking all cell phones under investigation.

give the government an inch, it takes a mile.

it's "not clear" if the FBI has the ability to unlock that model cell phone, or all of them
Oh common now, are you really that naïve? Criminals or terrorist USE this to their advantage. If the FBI wants info on my phone, I will personally give them the password. I like privacy, but have nothing to hide, either.

Common sense is not permitted on the USMB! Please refrain from being logical and coherent in all posts. Do I make that clear enough? Nice post however:iagree:

As I said, I don't believe it's constitutional for a court to order Apple to work for them. If we cross those lines, what else is next?

However if the FBI did find a way into that phone, I don't think there is any reason to stop them. It's in their possession and they can do with that phone as they please.
I don't disagree with that.

Forum List

Back