Iconic brands lose their luster

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City

Ah, the fickle public.

At least some.

I think most people shop for stuff they’re familiar and satisfied with.

But, that doesn’t appear to be the case all the time.

From Oscar Mayer and Campbell's to Clairol and CoverGirl, some of America's most famous supermarket and drug store brands are losing market share as consumers' tastes and shopping habits change.

Generics?

Store brands?

Kraft Heinz said this year that the value of its Oscar Mayer and Kraft brands — with products like Oscar Mayer hot dogs, Jell-O and Kraft Mac & Cheese — were worth $15 billion less than it had previously stated.

Coty, which purchased the Clairol and CoverGirl brands from Procter & Gamble 3 years ago, recently wrote down the value of those brands by $3 billion, following a previous writedown of $965 million.

Sales of Campbell's namesake soups have fallen in 8 out of the past 10 fiscal years, per the Wall Street Journal.

A lot more @ Some of America's most iconic brands are losing their luster

Simply a matter of a vastly expanded list of choices to choose from, many of them more healthy and tasty.

A big part of it is overpricing name brands. A pack of hotdogs shouldn't be close to $5 when not on sale.

I noticed that more and more has-been H'wood celebs are hawking everything from insurance to prescription medicine that they probably wouldn't use themselves. Personally I find it insulting but does it make a difference?

I noticed that more and more has-been H'wood celebs are hawking everything from insurance to prescription medicine that they probably wouldn't use themselves. Personally I find it insulting but does it make a difference?
Well in Hollyweird land once you’ve played a role of some sort you’re henceforth and forever, if you’re a big enough Hollyweirdo, an expert on the topic of which you’d memorized innumerable lines written by others you spat back as directed on cue. Thus the pitchman gigs, testimony before Congressional committees, and other nonsense stuff.

Forum List

Back