Idaho is the fastest growing state in Union - Wyoming dead last

`
Despite the fact that it's -9°F currently where I live in Wisconsin, I like where I'm at.
Not that bad. I have worked a couple of times in Eastern Oregon at -30, and many times at -20.
Try working in 110+ and talk to me. Working in the cold ain't shit, bro. Bundle up in the early hours and keep moving is the key to working in freezing weather. There isn't shit you can do when working in heat besides drink water and find shade on your breaks.
And I work at present as a millwright in a steel mill. And you want to talk to me about working in heat?

Not that bad. I have worked a couple of times in Eastern Oregon at -30, and many times at -20.
`
True enough. I have no problem with the cold or even windchill, however, prolonged cold snaps like this take a toll on machinery, especially vehicles.
Exactly right. We worked in Seneca, Oregon, many years ago, augering for a landfill, and it was -20, and colder, for a week. Broke a bunch of pins in the tracks on the drill, something we had no previous trouble with.

Exactly right. We worked in Seneca, Oregon, many years ago, augering for a landfill, and it was -20, and colder, for a week. Broke a bunch of pins in the tracks on the drill, something we had no previous trouble with.
`
I have a John Deer, 4x4, enclosed cab w/heat. Diesel engine. Forward and rear PTO with quick attach 2-stage blower, blade and front end loader. It gets a real work out during the winter.

True dat.

Only problem I have with my below freezing Alaska weather is when it sets off the arthritis in my knees. When I go visit my folks in Nevada, even in the winter (like 80F max maybe) I don't want to do shit because I melt... okay, actually I burn because I only come in two colors; fish belly white and lobster red...

That's funny EC! :D I can imagine AK would do that to a person given sun situation. I grew up surfing in SoCal and when I moved up to Portland 25 years ago the first winter I went all fish belly white. Not a good look for me so I'd hop in a tanning bed couple times a month November through February. Also got one of those light boxes which is probably big business up there too. Helped with the depression.

I love AK - especially southwest having taken a couple of inside passage cruises. But not sure I could handle the winters (ok to call me a wuss ;-)

It is kinda funny, but also kind of annoying. I can't do tanning booths either, I burn too easy. The fam jokes that I'm a vampire because I'm so sun sensitive - SPF 100 please.

A lot of the military folks use those SAD lights to help with depression, I've never been affected by it personally, credit my Synesthesia. Up here we call it cabin fever, folks get bored, restless, and go stupid. Used to be these folks would die, running around in the woods will easily get you killed up here, but we don't hear about those kinds of deaths so much anymore, maybe one to three a year, so its possible those light boxes help them out. ~shrug~

Wyoming's economy is dictated by communist, unconstitutional agencies (EPA/BLM/USFS) that restrict land use and resource extraction...and who destroy land owners.

Trump is rolling back all those restrictions. Wyoming is going to boom. So is Idaho. So is Montana. So is Eastern Oregon. Because that's what happens when you remove the communist boot from the necks of communities. They thrive. They become healthy and independent. It's a beautiful thing.

Hopefully, it won't happen without a lot of *agents* falling by the wayside. And by the wayside, I mean dead.

How very compassionate of you wishing death on people kosher. But rolling back restrictions on coal is not going to increase coal production. There is no money in it as my OP link shows..

As for that and all the rest of the T-Rump executive orders, they'll all be undone on 1-20-2020 if not sooner.

It is kinda funny, but also kind of annoying. I can't do tanning booths either, I burn too easy. The fam jokes that I'm a vampire because I'm so sun sensitive - SPF 100 please.

A lot of the military folks use those SAD lights to help with depression, I've never been affected by it personally, credit my Synesthesia. Up here we call it cabin fever, folks get bored, restless, and go stupid. Used to be these folks would die, running around in the woods will easily get you killed up here, but we don't hear about those kinds of deaths so much anymore, maybe one to three a year, so its possible those light boxes help them out. ~shrug~

Yeah the SAD lights (thanks couldn't remember the name) definitely helped me. Depression is an issue in the Pacific Northwest and that includes AK. Lot of heavy drinking and suicides this time of year. Gotta do what you can to cope with the cabin fever. You got bears?

China buys our coal to make steel, especially with NK (their supplier) being in the sanction dog house. I would not be surprised if coal picked up to supply them... Although it sounds like China just got busted selling oil to NK so idk what's gonna happen with that heh

Wyoming's economy is dictated by communist, unconstitutional agencies (EPA/BLM/USFS) that restrict land use and resource extraction...and who destroy land owners.

Trump is rolling back all those restrictions. Wyoming is going to boom. So is Idaho. So is Montana. So is Eastern Oregon. Because that's what happens when you remove the communist boot from the necks of communities. They thrive. They become healthy and independent. It's a beautiful thing.

Hopefully, it won't happen without a lot of *agents* falling by the wayside. And by the wayside, I mean dead.

How very compassionate of you wishing death on people kosher. But rolling back restrictions on coal is not going to increase coal production. There is no money in it as my OP link shows..

As for that and all the rest of the T-Rump executive orders, they'll all be undone on 1-20-2020 if not sooner.

I don't have any compassion for brownshirted thugs.
I would hope they die screaming..except with torture there's always the possibility of survival. A clean shot is best. But if they suffer agonies unto death, that's okay too.

Why? - Despite all the fluffing from Trump .. Coal is dead & the Fat Lady sings.

Half of Idaho's neighbors are in the top five. All but one are in the top 13.

The "but one" is Wyoming. It's dead last: 51st out of a possible 51 (our ranking is adjusted for population and includes Washington, D.C.). Wyoming lost 1.0 percent of its population in 2017 even as Idaho was gaining 2.2 percent.

On the surface, the two states appear to have much in common. They share a border, a birth month (July 1890) and even — for a few brief heady months in 1863 — membership in the "Idaho Territory."

Wyoming has long been the nation's coal king. The vast operations of the Powder River Basin produce more coal than all but a handful of states put together. But cheap natural gas has reduced power plants' dependence on the mineral. Wyoming's mines are shipping out fewer tons of coal and getting paid less for each of them.

That helps explain why the state went from the fourth-fastest growing in 2012 (D.C. was first that year) to rock bottom in 2017.​

Why people really want to move to Idaho but are fleeing our neighbor, Wyoming

the-coalindustry-revival-its-like-flogging-a-dean-ad-tech-19754131.png

Such a nice silly bitch. Always wishing for the death of fellow Americans. Eastern Oregon will only prosper when it takes advantage of the amount of wind, sun, and geothermal energy it has. Ranching will remain hand to mouth operation, dependent on the availability of cheap BLM grazing. Mining is gone, and logging, even though they have the biggest stand of Ponderosa Pine in the world, will only support a limited amount of workers, because of the automation of the mills. There is nothing that Eastern Oregon has to offer industry. Lack of water, lack of educated workers, a conservative mindset venerating the past, and failing to look to the future. Eastern Oregon will only prosper as the people in Bend and Prineville move out into Eastern Oregon, and move that area into the 21st Century.

Why? - Despite all the fluffing from Trump .. Coal is dead & the Fat Lady sings.

Half of Idaho's neighbors are in the top five. All but one are in the top 13.

The "but one" is Wyoming. It's dead last: 51st out of a possible 51 (our ranking is adjusted for population and includes Washington, D.C.). Wyoming lost 1.0 percent of its population in 2017 even as Idaho was gaining 2.2 percent.

On the surface, the two states appear to have much in common. They share a border, a birth month (July 1890) and even — for a few brief heady months in 1863 — membership in the "Idaho Territory."

Wyoming has long been the nation's coal king. The vast operations of the Powder River Basin produce more coal than all but a handful of states put together. But cheap natural gas has reduced power plants' dependence on the mineral. Wyoming's mines are shipping out fewer tons of coal and getting paid less for each of them.

That helps explain why the state went from the fourth-fastest growing in 2012 (D.C. was first that year) to rock bottom in 2017.​

Why people really want to move to Idaho but are fleeing our neighbor, Wyoming

the-coalindustry-revival-its-like-flogging-a-dean-ad-tech-19754131.png
You obviously never been to Wyoming... lol

Yeah the SAD lights (thanks couldn't remember the name) definitely helped me. Depression is an issue in the Pacific Northwest and that includes AK. Lot of heavy drinking and suicides this time of year. Gotta do what you can to cope with the cabin fever. You got bears?

Seasonal affective disorder.

There's bears everywhere in Alaska, even downtown Anchorage [the big city] has em. Just yesterday the paper had an article about bears getting into peoples trashcans. We have blacks and grizzlies, my particular area about 10-15 miles north of Anchorage has a huge male griz who owns the territory we're in, I call him Ben (after grizzly Adams) but that's not his official name; I got on his case a few months back for getting into my paint remain filled trashcan one morning when the trash folks were running late; hopefully he didn't poison himself the idiot. There's a slew of blacks here as well, who knows how many. We also have the distinction of live in the territory of the Ft Rich wolf pack, had to kill their young alpha like a year or two ago because he discovered the yuppies had puntable pup-snacks in their yards and decided that chewing them off their chains was /way/ easier than pulling down a moose. We had a red fox for a very long time, but I haven't seen her in a few years so I think she might have gotten caught by the wolves or maybe just died of old age (we've been in this house for almost 20 years now.) Last year we got a weasel of some kind, I can't seem to catch enough of a clear view to tell which kind for sure, but he's munching away on our shrews so we've been giving him occasional snacks to keep him around.

There's bears everywhere in Alaska, even downtown Anchorage [the big city] has em. Just yesterday the paper had an article about bears getting into peoples trashcans. We have blacks and grizzlies, my particular area about 10-15 miles north of Anchorage has a huge male griz who owns the territory we're in, I call him Ben (after grizzly Adams) but that's not his official name; I got on his case a few months back for getting into my paint remain filled trashcan one morning when the trash folks were running late; hopefully he didn't poison himself the idiot. There's a slew of blacks here as well, who knows how many. We also have the distinction of live in the territory of the Ft Rich wolf pack, had to kill their young alpha like a year or two ago because he discovered the yuppies had puntable pup-snacks in their yards and decided that chewing them off their chains was /way/ easier than pulling down a moose. We had a red fox for a very long time, but I haven't seen her in a few years so I think she might have gotten caught by the wolves or maybe just died of old age (we've been in this house for almost 20 years now.) Last year we got a weasel of some kind, I can't seem to catch enough of a clear view to tell which kind for sure, but he's munching away on our shrews so we've been giving him occasional snacks to keep him around.

1024full-gentle-ben.jpg

Gentle Ben, show from the 60s/70s...I think that's Richie Cunningham's brother.

I'm with Steve Colbert when it comes to bears :)

ThreatDown - All-Bear Edition - The Colbert Report | Comedy Central

Some trivia for Idaho
Lands of America research shows that 32 percent of land in Idaho is privately owned.
Idaho's current price-per-acre average places it 20th in the country in terms of land value.
The average price of land listed for sale in Idaho was $2 million.

Forum List

Back