Ideas for fixing minimum wage.

For the life of me I can't figure out why we don't just tie minimum wage to the Consumer Price Index or something. Have it adjust yearly and leave it alone.

We COULD attach it to Gross Domestic Product, give everyone "skin in the game" so to say.

We COULD attach it to some measurement of Board of Directors pay/reimbursement packages for humorous effect.

Where would my first idea about the Consumer Price Index go wrong or is there a better measure?

So you want to make it harder and more expensive for employers to hire people right?

There are some jobs that do not merit high pay just like there are some employees that don't merit a raise every year

The idea that a job must pay enough for anyone to live a defined lifestyle is ridiculous.

A job picking up piles of dog crap pays what it's worth to the market if you want to earn more then better yourself so that your skill set includes more than the minimum required to pick up dog crap.

Unemployment isn't a problem.

I also didn't say much about increasing minimum wage, just tying it to inflation. If anything that saves some time in congress.

FWIW, now that you mention it, tying minimum wage to CEO pay just might help companies stay more profitable.

Give me one good reason why you want to raise it national?

I was merely talking about tying it to inflation or the CPI or whatever as this debate is starting to come up again. It gets tiresome every decade or so having to go raise it.
one good reason is the volatility of labor flight among the several States.

How about government pass a minimum wage requirement for government jobs and leave private business to set their own standards and compete? I’m open to setting standards on large corporations that control marketplaces and employ a large amount of citizens however I don’t think small businesses should be regulated in the same way.

That's interesting. Big business has a way of making us all pay for their continued success. Ask Amazon.

Where would you draw the lines? 50 employees? A million in revenue? I'll assume we have rules to get around the tricks of a company running itself as multiple corporations.

Do MW proponents presume know the operational costs of every business?
They presume to know an awful lot of things that they can't possibly know.
States have State Boards of Equalization to help Capitalists, get equalized.
You're so far out of your element that it's not even funny...Just stop.
They have entire Departments to help them out. The State can help them get equalized in a State Capitalism friendly manner.

I was merely talking about tying it to inflation or the CPI or whatever as this debate is starting to come up again. It gets tiresome every decade or so having to go raise it.
That still stems from the misguided notion that The State should, or even can, be setting prices for anything.

Yeah, the state has to be there for something. Personally I think after this amount of time with a minimum wage the idea of going back to a time w/o one is more radical. Almost something that would push folks to use labor unions. A terrifying thought in this era of low unemployment. I would have thought you preferred our elected officials setting workplace standards over the Teamsters.

Unions are free market though. Interesting.

Yeah, the state has to be there for something. Personally I think after this amount of time with a minimum wage the idea of going back to a time w/o one is more radical. Almost something that would push folks to use labor unions. A terrifying thought in this era of low unemployment. I would have thought you preferred our elected officials setting workplace standards over the Teamsters.

No, The State doesn't need to be there, especially in the area of setting prices....When you're an opioid addict, the notion of not taking the drug seems a radical course of action....But nobody will argue that it's not the right thing to do.

With the Teamsters, there's at least something that passes itself off as negotiation...With The State you get no such option.

No, The State doesn't need to be there, especially in the area of setting prices....When you're an opioid addict, the notion of not taking the drug seems a radical course of action....But nobody will argue that it's not the right thing to do.

With the Teamsters, there's at least something that passes itself off as negotiation...With The State you get no such option.
Only the right wing complains about the Minimum wage in our First World economy.

Its not ideal I would admit.

Our labor situation seems soo much more settled than during the Industrial Revolution. How would it be different this time around?

For the life of me I can't figure out why we don't just tie minimum wage to the Consumer Price Index or something. Have it adjust yearly and leave it alone.

We COULD attach it to Gross Domestic Product, give everyone "skin in the game" so to say.

We COULD attach it to some measurement of Board of Directors pay/reimbursement packages for humorous effect.

Where would my first idea about the Consumer Price Index go wrong or is there a better measure?

So you want to make it harder and more expensive for employers to hire people right?

There are some jobs that do not merit high pay just like there are some employees that don't merit a raise every year

The idea that a job must pay enough for anyone to live a defined lifestyle is ridiculous.

A job picking up piles of dog crap pays what it's worth to the market if you want to earn more then better yourself so that your skill set includes more than the minimum required to pick up dog crap.

I also didn't say much about increasing minimum wage, just tying it to inflation. If anything that saves some time in congress.

FWIW, now that you mention it, tying minimum wage to CEO pay just might help companies stay more profitable.

Because raising it causes it

That's fine. better to do it regular like instead of unpredictably every decade or so,

Only the right wing complains about the Minimum wage in our First World economy.

Only left wing complains about a non issue

That's fine. better to do it regular like instead of unpredictably every decade or so,

Their has to be a reason why you want I raised, it's obvious you don't make minimum wage

Hey, you don't identify as a "wing" do you?

I'll say having to bend my thoughts on any issue to a particular ideology or as a political party demands is a foreign idea to me.

Their has to be a reason why you want I raised, it's obvious you don't make minimum wage

Efficiency is a thing. The debate is being made again about readjusting to it. If we had just fixed it to CPI or whatever last time America would be more efficient.

Hey, you don't identify as a "wing" do you?

I'll say having to bend my thoughts on any issue to a particular ideology or as a political party demands is a foreign idea to me.

It's a simple question, why do you want it raised national when you can do it local?

The democrats have now 60 million under their wing .

Efficiency is a thing. The debate is being made again about readjusting to it. If we had just fixed it to CPI or whatever last time America would be more efficient.

Quit beating around the bush, you want it raised national so jobs don't leave blue States..

Forum List

Back