If Christianity And Christians Are 'good' Why Are Christians Often 'bad?'

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Thinking of some of the supposed Christian posts on this site, I can't help but notice the contradiction.

Thinking of some of the supposed Christian posts on this site, I can't help but notice the contradiction.

I'm no expert on Christian theology (though I play one on TV), but ....

It's my understanding that Christians don't think that being a Christian makes them inherently good - but that God's grace saves them from the fact that they (all of us) are inherently not.

I've always seen it as a corollary for government, and the concept of consenting to legal authority. To establish a common sense of morality requires that, to some degree, we relinquish a portion of our personal moral agency to God, in exchange for redemption.

There's a platitude for that:

"not perfect, just forgiven"

Commit murder? Molest a child? Lie, cheat, steal?

Get forgiven.

And presumably, go to heaven.

Pretty cool, huh?

Because the Bible can be used to spread love or hate, or both simultaneously. It can be used to fuel Peace or Terror.

Like the Quran.

And it is very easy to manipulate an indoctrinated Christian or Muslim into performing "wicked" things in the name of their religion, if they believe it is for a "Holy" cause.

perhaps because Christians are human?......
So, belief in magical gawds (any of the human inventions of), is not a requirement for being a "good" or moral person.

That's stating the obvious, but for the supernaturally inclined, they need such reinforcement.

Because the Bible can be used to spread love or hate, or both simultaneously. It can be used to fuel Peace or Terror.

Like the Quran.

And it is very easy to manipulate an indoctrinated Christian or Muslim into performing "wicked" things in the name of their religion, if they believe it is for a "Holy" cause.

Like the Quran.

Good point. it is with a historical perspective that we can see it is easy to rile up a populace into agreeing with a specific idea if you can convince that populace that there are supernatural beings resolutely on their side. If one takes the time to briefly read their Christian / Islamist history, one will quickly realize that the gods are a convenience, usually for politically motivated reasons. This is an extension of our tribal instincts, wherein we place the mantle of superiority upon a person, persons speaking on behalf of the gawds, providing they can deliver the things we have convinced ourselves we want. Few mere mortals can come close to instilling a sense of loyalty and duty that the gawds can, especially as over the millennia the gawd's powers have been enhanced and expanded.

So, belief in magical gawds (any of the human inventions of), is not a requirement for being a "good" or moral person.
or a bad one.....

every person has moral standards......some have standards which the majority within a given society consider lax......Hannibal Lector, for example, considered eating his victims to be within his moral standards.....

in some societies, repeated reference to "magical gawds" would be considered immoral......you tend to treat it as if it were some badge of honor which elevates you above others.....

I myself do not think it makes you immoral......however, inserting it into conversations in which it is irrelevant certainly makes you irrational......

Last edited:
or a bad one.....
Right. So a cult that separates the in-group from the out-group for reasons intended to promote the goals of the cult are ultimately harmful.

or a bad one.....
or a bad one.....
Right. So a cult that separates the in-group from the out-group for reasons intended to promote the goals of the cult are ultimately harmful.
an excellent example.....your effort to make Christians an out-group as opposed to the in-group of atheists is clearly intended to be harmful.....

or a bad one.....
or a bad one.....
an excellent example.....your effort to make Christians an out-group as opposed to the in-group of atheists is clearly intended to be harmful.....
Your shared conspiracy theories with other members of the cult is a classic example of cult indoctrination.

you crawl out of the woodwork to post ""magical gawds" and you worry about MY cult indoctrination?.......

you crawl out of the woodwork to post ""magical gawds" and you worry about MY cult indoctrination?.......
Yes, I'm concerned with your cult indoctrination. Your beliefs that magic and supernaturalism do relate an accurate worldview is concerning. Those beliefs cross over into social constructs, and those social constructs impact individuals lives and freedoms. Those irrational beliefs leverage political decisions and they lend weight to laws that are developed and implemented.

To call oneself a Christian is one thing. To try to live in the faith is a daily struggle. But to do so is wonderous. Truly it's a trip.

Christians per se don't understand their faith. Just like Muslims, Jews et al. I mean holy toledo you have freaking athiests forming athiest churches.

Talk about not understanding what its all about.

Too many so called Christians are just born into the "religion". I'm not slagging them but they are just your Christian bots like you have your Muslim bots like you have your Jewish bots.

Ask any man or woman on the street what they call them selves. If Christian. Have you read the Bible? If Muslim, have you read the Koran? Or the Hadiths? Jew to the Torah?

I have read the book. :) both Testaments many times. That's what led me to Christ. The Word.

Many what you see today are those who are in a "faith cult".

I'm a bad ass Christian. Like Christ himself. I have no idea where and when so called Christians went off the rails and stopped recognizing what a kick ass Lord we have.

I'm with the guy who turns over tables baby.

I'm with the guy who said go ahead and put me on that cross because I tell the truth.

I'm with the guy on the mighty white steed who's going to smoke the hell out of a lot of baddies.

My Christ rocks.

I at least try not to be a week a day sinner with some guy in a box on Sunday saying I'm forgiven.

I went that route once already.

I'll have to see how life goes in this chapter in my life.

All in all though you can't blame your average Christian or Muslim or Jew. They have been born into their religion. They have not explored their faith. Most don't even understand their faith. They plod on. Pity.

Consequently they will not live up to the religion they profess.

Yes, I'm concerned with your cult indoctrination. Your beliefs that magic and supernaturalism do relate an accurate worldview is concerning. Those beliefs cross over into social constructs, and those social constructs impact individuals lives and freedoms. Those irrational beliefs leverage political decisions and they lend weight to laws that are developed and implemented.

:lol:

I can't speak for the Koran or the Torah, but I can tell you in the here and now that our very good lives built on the laws of the Old and New T's are for the most part fair and balanced.

God or whoever you want to call him (I like Jehovah but to each their own) recognized the strength and beauty of women right from the get go. Did you know that? HE made them an equal. Pity. Man buggered it.

Jehovah on tithing. Wow. Rocks it in the OT. Man buggered it. Religion buggered it.

Jehovah on the laws of accidental murders. OT version of manslaughter. Awesome. Just awesome. Made cities for those convicted of what would be our version of manslaughter to do their time.

Our dear Lord after getting royally pissed off wipes out most of the earth gave us rainbows to this day. He's pretty humble after all. Check. Nice guy in the end.

The Word isn't a book of fiction. Its a book to live by.

/grins....and you think Christians are arrogant because they think you can't get into heaven without Christ......you don't think we have a place HERE with him.......

Forum List

Back