If Obamacare sucks is that the GOP's 2016 ticket?

Super_Lantern

VIP Member
Jun 2, 2013
Kind of a different question from the title; if Obamacare sucks, can the GOP generally keep their same stances on social issues and still find a presidential victory in 2016 by capitalizing on being right about Obamacare?

For things to work out for the GOP, Obamacare will have fail really badly.

The whole reason they bet the farm on the shutdown is they are terrified that people will like Obamacare.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Their stance on social issues gives them a pretty solid chuck of the vote. But they're praying that Obamacare fails or those will be the only votes they get.

America is more liberal though. So while of course, the GOP gets votes from people who are conservative on social issues, Dems are more liked and appeal to more people for their stance on social issues

So I'm saying, without giving up their stance on social issues, can the GOP secure enough independents, non-voters, and maybe some DEM votes for calling it on Obamacare, assuming Obamacare is a consistent train wreck and disappointment?

Their stance on social issues gives them a pretty solid chuck of the vote. But they're praying that Obamacare fails or those will be the only votes they get.

America is more liberal though. So while of course, the GOP gets votes from people who are conservative on social issues, Dems are more liked and appeal to more people for their stance on social issues

So I'm saying, without giving up their stance on social issues, can the GOP secure enough independents, non-voters, and maybe some DEM votes for calling it on Obamacare, assuming Obamacare is a consistent train wreck and disappointment?

The ACA would have to be a monumental disaster and still be a mess all the way until election day which would be extremely unlikely.

Even if it did, it's still just one point out of numerous others. The only way a republican will even win again is when they nominate a sane, moderate voice instead of the clowns and radical right wing nutcases we have today.

No :laugh:

I don't know how they've messed the last 5 years up. They crashed and burned any chance of controlling the narrative because of their antics over the last 5 years! Despite all of Obama's missteps.

But that doesn't make social issues unimportant. I believe that a democrat with socially conservative views would have a BIG advantage in 2014 and 2016. Unfortunately that never happens :doubt:

Obamacare has already failed.

Most Ameericans realize that basic fact but won't really understand it until they see what they're going to pay for their coerced purchase. Or that their doctor is forbidden to them.

Republicans will not win or lose by their stand on Obamacare.

They will lose because they cannot resist opposing liberalism by nominating their most liberal.

Sad, but that's the way it is.

The whole reason they bet the farm on the shutdown is they are terrified that people will like Obamacare.

I'm going to have to call BS on that, Doc.

First, they were going by polling numbers. Those numbers indicated a majority of Americans DIDN'T like it. Secondly, if you have a president doing a speech in the Rose Garden touting a failing bill, it's already failed badly.

There are a number of problems with the entire scenario. First of all, 2016 is barely two years away, and it's going to take much longer to get a really good feel for how the ACA is really affecting healthcare, both on a cost basis as well as a service basis. Also, there are some serious problems with the ACA, and the question is whether or not any of them will be addressed or if anyone will even attempt to address them, and I think that addressing the problems will be the real issue at hand. If Dems take the lead and try to propose changes that would be positive and Republicans try to thwart that by continuing their half hearted attempts at repealing it, then the Dems win that fight easily. On the other hand, if Dems do not propose any changes and we see more of the downside of the ACA, it could benefit Republicans.

First, they were going by polling numbers. Those numbers indicated a majority of Americans DIDN'T like it. Secondly, if you have a president doing a speech in the Rose Garden touting a failing bill, it's already failed badly.

Until the system is completely in force and people are actually using it, saying people do or don't like it really doesn't mean much. The question will be how do people like it in a couple of years once they are using it.

Most Ameericans realize that basic fact but won't really understand it until they see what they're going to pay for their coerced purchase. Or that their doctor is forbidden to them.

They will lose because they cannot resist opposing liberalism by nominating their most liberal.

If you think nominating the most extreme far right ultra conservative you can find is the answer, then please do all you can to make sure that happens. I'll guarantee you something though; that person will lose in a landslide.

Until the system is completely in force and people are actually using it, saying people do or don't like it really doesn't mean much. The question will be how do people like it in a couple of years once they are using it.

You must have been a f*cking Edsel salesmen earlier in life. Buy it now and see how bad it sucks later. We have to build it, you have to buy it and we have to pass it to see what's in it. Liberal moron poster child.

If you think nominating the most extreme far right ultra conservative you can find is the answer, then please do all you can to make sure that happens. I'll guarantee you something though; that person will lose in a landslide.

A far-right needs to be the nominee just to see what happens. If that nominee were to win then far-rights/tea-partiers will be vindicated. If that nominee loses then the GOP can see that whether it's a moderate or a far-right, they lose. From that point we can decide where to go from there

Last edited:

The ACA would have to be a monumental disaster and still be a mess all the way until election day which would be extremely unlikely.

Even if it did, it's still just one point out of numerous others. The only way a republican will even win again is when they nominate a sane, moderate voice instead of the clowns and radical right wing nutcases we have today.

It's not all about being moderate. The social issues are a bigger problem, but being socially conservative isn't really being conservative. One of my biggest issues with the Republican Party is that their stance on social issues is just as liberal if not more so than Democrats, because they want to dictate people's behavior and choices through governmental legislation. That is not conservative. That is them sticking their fucking nose in everyone else's business and pushing their moral agenda, which many may not believe to be all that moral to begin with.

On the other side, a fiscal conservative might do okay. The biggest problem though is that most fiscally conservative Republicans at this point just want to blame the poor and working people for getting too much government money. That's all they have to say. They rarely address all the corporate welfare or the fact that we spend almost as much on our military as the rest of the world does combined, but hey, that's their spiel.

The real question is whether it will LAST two years. You must live in a world where opinion and individual freedom are irrelevant.

Hear, hear! :clap2:

[MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]

The real question is whether it will LAST two years. You must live in a world where opinion and individual freedom are irrelevant.

Hey idiot, parts of tbe PPACA/Obamacre have been in effect for a while now. No complaints to really get hysterical about. The website is for the 15million(?) Without healthcare.

Calm the fouk down

I will be keeping my eye on the youth vote. The young will be paying disproportionately more for Obamacare so it will be interesting to see if they continue to vote predominately democrat or start drifting to the right. Perhaps they'll just stay at home. Either way, this is the demographic that I find the most interesting and subject to change.

Last edited:

I will be keeping my eye on the youth vote. The young will be paying disproportionately more for Obamacare so it will be interesting to see if they continue to vote predominately democrat or start drifting to the right. Perhaps they'll just stay at home. Either way, this is the demographic that I find the most interesting and subject to change.

Ahem -- it's not the youth out tbere protesting and demanding they be thrown off tgeir parent's coverage or denied insurance for preexisting conditions.

You need to get out more often

Forum List

Back