šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

If polyamory is next, then polygamy isn't far behind

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
And there's no way you can keep it illegal for long.

Polyamory Is Next, And Iā€™m One Reason Why

Here's how libertarianism has led me and my partner into polyamory, and why America will have to grapple with this issue next.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œYouā€™re going to bed already?ā€ I complained, as I prepared to read our three-year-old a bedtime story across the hall. It was my not-so-veiled solicitation for sex. I was nearing ovulation and in the mood. I knew Brad was rarely in the mood at nightā€”unlike me, heā€™s a morning personā€”but I was hoping, by chance, he might be.

ā€œYeah, Iā€™m tired,ā€ he grumbled. ā€œI have to work in the morning.ā€ After I got my daughter to sleep in her own bedā€”a rare gemā€”I came back in to cuddle, to see if he was really asleep or just faking.

ā€œFineā€¦ come on over here, Beast,ā€ he said endearingly and reluctantly. Half-asleep, he started doing his duty, but I could tell he wasnā€™t into it. Heā€™d joked earlier in the evening, after one of my innuendos, that he might be in the mood if Kitty were around. Kitty (not her real name) is a friend of mine whom Bradā€™s been on a couple of dates with since we decided to open up our relationship about six months ago. At the moment, heā€™s wild about her. Sheā€™s new, different, everything I am not.

A few minutes into our ritual, I started laughing uncontrollably. This irritated Brad immensely. ā€œIā€™m sorry, I canā€™t help it,ā€ I said. ā€œItā€™s just this is exactly like the video I watched about bonobos earlier, where the females push and kick the males until they agree to satisfy them.ā€

ā€œOkay, Iā€™m done,ā€ he said, rolling over angrily and pulling the up the covers. I stormed off to the shower to cry.

ā€œThis is it! This is exactly why we need to be polyamorous,ā€ I sobbed from behind the shower curtain, when Brad came in to make amends.

ā€œWhy?ā€

ā€œBecause you donā€™t want me, and Iā€™m tired of it! I need to be desired! I need to be touched!ā€

ā€œShh, youā€™re going to wake Nora up,ā€ he tried to calm me, as I worked myself into hysterics. He tried to coax me back into the bedroom to make it up to me, but it was too late. The mood had been killed, and it was neither one of our faults.

After going round and round in circles, Brad finally convinced me that he did, in fact, want to ā€œmake loveā€ to me, even though Iā€™d just thrown a tantrum more obnoxious than any two-year-oldā€™s. He gave me what I needed, and we went to sleep.

Fanning the Flame

Polyamory Is Next, And I'm One Reason Why

Open relationships probably sound awesome, but all the added jealousies, the shared loyalties, and the opportunity for heart break leads me to think its not something for everyone.

I know there are swinger communities out there, but those are groups of people who commit to a lifestyle, not two people deciding to bang other people, or bring another person into their bedroom from time to time.

This couple's relationship has run its course. It is over. They both need to move on. Bringing other people into the relationship won't reignite the old one. As soon as the first person falls in love with someone else that party will move on.

The good part is, they aren't married. Splitting up isn't filing divorce papers. It's filling out a change of address card.

Here's how libertarianism has led me and my partner into polyamory, and why America will have to grapple with this issue next.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œYouā€™re going to bed already?ā€ I complained, as I prepared to read our three-year-old a bedtime story across the hall. It was my not-so-veiled solicitation for sex. I was nearing ovulation and in the mood. I knew Brad was rarely in the mood at nightā€”unlike me, heā€™s a morning personā€”but I was hoping, by chance, he might be.

ā€œYeah, Iā€™m tired,ā€ he grumbled. ā€œI have to work in the morning.ā€ After I got my daughter to sleep in her own bedā€”a rare gemā€”I came back in to cuddle, to see if he was really asleep or just faking.

ā€œFineā€¦ come on over here, Beast,ā€ he said endearingly and reluctantly. Half-asleep, he started doing his duty, but I could tell he wasnā€™t into it. Heā€™d joked earlier in the evening, after one of my innuendos, that he might be in the mood if Kitty were around. Kitty (not her real name) is a friend of mine whom Bradā€™s been on a couple of dates with since we decided to open up our relationship about six months ago. At the moment, heā€™s wild about her. Sheā€™s new, different, everything I am not.

A few minutes into our ritual, I started laughing uncontrollably. This irritated Brad immensely. ā€œIā€™m sorry, I canā€™t help it,ā€ I said. ā€œItā€™s just this is exactly like the video I watched about bonobos earlier, where the females push and kick the males until they agree to satisfy them.ā€

ā€œOkay, Iā€™m done,ā€ he said, rolling over angrily and pulling the up the covers. I stormed off to the shower to cry.

ā€œThis is it! This is exactly why we need to be polyamorous,ā€ I sobbed from behind the shower curtain, when Brad came in to make amends.

ā€œWhy?ā€

ā€œBecause you donā€™t want me, and Iā€™m tired of it! I need to be desired! I need to be touched!ā€

ā€œShh, youā€™re going to wake Nora up,ā€ he tried to calm me, as I worked myself into hysterics. He tried to coax me back into the bedroom to make it up to me, but it was too late. The mood had been killed, and it was neither one of our faults.

After going round and round in circles, Brad finally convinced me that he did, in fact, want to ā€œmake loveā€ to me, even though Iā€™d just thrown a tantrum more obnoxious than any two-year-oldā€™s. He gave me what I needed, and we went to sleep.

Fanning the Flame

It might be. But it would be a pretty rough transition. As there are all sorts of questions that a 3 or 4 person marriage creates that 2 person marriage never does. Questions that caselaw simply doesn't have the answers for. And those issues get more complex as the number of people grow.

All new caselaw would need to be created 50 of 50 times. It would take about a decade or so.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

Interesting article.

In other words, she's a slut who enjoys being a slut.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

Interesting article.

Its been an interesting progression, socially. The WW2 generation was firm on boundaries and firm on enforcing them. Often violently. Boomers were firm on boundaries but less serious about enforcing them but heavy on judgment. Gen Xers were firm on boundaries but lax on enforcement and lax on judgment.

The millennials don't have much use for the boundaries, the enforcement or the judgement. From sexual orientation to gender to work, they're generally a very ala carte, customized and in the moment generation.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

Interesting article.

Its been an interesting progression, socially. The WW2 generation was firm on boundaries and firm on enforcing them. Often violently. Boomers were firm on boundaries but less serious about enforcing them but heavy on judgment. Gen Xers were firm on boundaries but lax on enforcement and lax on judgment.

The millennials don't have much use for the boundaries, the enforcement or the judgement. From sexual orientation to gender to work, they're generally a very ala carte, customized and in the moment generation.
Damn I wish I was 21...

Polyamory isn't illegal.

I feel sorry for the woman in this couple. Her man doesn't want her. He has already set her aside and moved to someone else. She is fooling herself and lying to herself by imagining this is polyamory.

She needs to find a lover elsewhere.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

It might be. But it would be a pretty rough transition. As there are all sorts of questions that a 3 or 4 person marriage creates that 2 person marriage never does. Questions that caselaw simply doesn't have the answers for. And those issues get more complex as the number of people grow.

All new caselaw would need to be created 50 of 50 times. It would take about a decade or so.

It will take time, but once the definition of marriage has been opened to change, there really is no moral reason to stop.

The permissive roaring 20s gave rise to the restrictive 50s.

Then why didn't the permissive 60s give way to the restrictive 90s?

You can dream of a historical regression if you wish. But its historically unlikely.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

It will take time, but once the definition of marriage has been opened to change, there really is no moral reason to stop.
It was changed, from a religious sacrament, to a civil union, 300 years ago..

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

Interesting article.

Damn I wish I was 21...

It will come before you know it.

By Sara Burrows

JUNE 30, 2015

Email

Print

ā€œWhy?ā€

Fanning the Flame

Interesting article.

Damn I wish I was 21...

It will come before you know it.
I'll have a towel ready...

Forum List

Back