If the National anthem is political....

This debate has been going on for awhile now. Both sides have been passionate about it. There are those on the left that want to take the anthem out of sports, because they feel it’s political and by making players stand they are forcing a brand of politics on them. This thread is to clarify that that is a bogus claim.

What do you think forcing people to stand for the anthem is about?

Let me ask you this - who’s doing the forcing?

The NFL. They can stand in public or kneel in a locker room.

Also the President shouldn't weigh in on this as he is borderline making this a first amendment issue if the NFL feels it's being pushed to make these rules by influence of the government.

The players should be able to kneel on the sidelines. The flag is not to be worshipped, nor is a song.

Who the hell is worshipping the flag? The flag should be respected, and if that's too difficult for you perhaps you're in the wrong country.

The flag represents our constitution.

Our constitution protects free speech.

Also the President shouldn't weigh in on this as he is borderline making this a first amendment issue if the NFL feels it's being pushed to make these rules by influence of the government.

The players should be able to kneel on the sidelines. The flag is not to be worshipped, nor is a song.

Who the hell is worshipping the flag? The flag should be respected, and if that's too difficult for you perhaps you're in the wrong country.

The flag is a piece of cloth and people should be allowed to do with it what they want.

Well aren't you just the little patriotic American?

GTFO Now, pls.

The flag is a piece of cloth and people should be allowed to do with it what they want.

You must be in the wrong country...dumbass.

That is a right guaranteed by our First Amendment.

That's the one part of our govt that sets apart from all other countries and yet, there are those who want it gutted.

Another disingenuous argument by the left. This isn’t a free speech issue.

Just the opposite.

COME ON.

Why are you RWNJs so eager to trash our constitution?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

That's fine, talk all you want.

And the fact is taking a knee for the anthem was a poliical statement by those doing it. The obsession the right has with trying to tell us how wrong we are about everything when everything the right has tried failed miserably is sickening. Why not just STFU if you are a conservative because we've seen your stuff fail and liberals have had to save the country every single time after you guys come up with one of your "brilliant" ideas.

We are not constitutionally required to stand during the anthem so you yakking about standing has no constitutional basis. Nor does Trumps. I can determine what method of peaceful protest I will use to air any grievance I want and I can declare it to be political if I choose to.

Thank you for admitting taking a knee was a political statement. Myself, as well as others felt your message got blurred because of the way in which you chose to protest. The players offended a lot of ppl in the process, even though that might not have been their intention

The message didn't get blurred you chose to be blinded by your willingness to listen and obey Donald Trump. The players did not offended as many as you would like to think.

Did u look at ratings drop in the nfl? Ppl were pissed. And they were pissed before Trump

google *cutting the cord*

derp

Nba railings went up.

Nice try though

The NBA ratings have been rising every year for quite some time. The last Super bowl was one of the most watched TV events in history. Something like number 7, I think. The flag had little to do with the drop in ratings, CTE as well as the treatment of Kaepernick also played into the drop. You flag thumping faketriots had little influence.

Just the opposite.

COME ON.

Why are you RWNJs so eager to trash our constitution?

"Trash the Constitution" in what way?

The supreme court doesn't say that.

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette

check it out.

Another disingenuous argument by the left. This isn’t a free speech issue.

That's not what the US Constitution says.

Educate yourself.

I've posted it twice in this thread and many times in other threads.

Educate yourself.

Marion Morrison

You too.

All you have to do is READ.

In 1943, the court ruled in West Virginia vs. Barnette that the First Amendment protects people from being forced to participate in patriotic ceremonies that offend their conscience or beliefs. In the 1989 case of Texas vs. Johnson, the court protected the the right to burn the American flag as a form of symbolic speech.

In the past, you fascist flag wavers have no clue what constitutes the US Constitution. Look it up.

G'night kiddies

The supreme court doesn't say that.

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette

They do not know how and why this is constitutional law.

Not a frikken clue.

I leave you to explain it to them.

The National Anthem is apolitical. Bipartisan.

But using it as a political cudgel is pure Trumpian.
So love and respect for your country, which the National Anthem embodies, somehow has something to do with president Trump?

Like it hasn't been around since 1812 or something. :uhoh3:
1931, but who's counting?

This is why revisionist history is bad, mmk?

Penned in 1814, voted to be The National Anthem by Congress in 1931. My! That's akin to being a law, huh?

The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia

Wiki, because fuck you, asshat, that's why.

That's not MY talk.

That the constitution talking.

Did you idiots go to junior high?

So you’re not making a political statement by standing for it. That’s the argument some on the left have. It’s a bogus argument
There was one voice that chastised the protesting players. One voice calling them sons of bitches. One voice calling for them to be fired.

Trumpians and their leader don't like Black people when they protest loudly (see Black Lives Matter). And they don't like,it whenBlack people protest silently (see the anthem curfluffle). One might rightly assume, therefore, Trump and his minions just don't like Black people at all. And using the National Anthem as an aegis in their outrage flies in the face of all things good and proper and fitting about our nation.

So you hate whites; do you hate Latinos more?

Greg

What political statement am I making by standing for it? That I love my country and I respect those who fought for it? Liberals. smh lol

So you’re not making a political statement by standing for it. That’s the argument some on the left have. It’s a bogus argument
There was one voice that chastised the protesting players. One voice calling them sons of bitches. One voice calling for them to be fired.

Trumpians and their leader don't like Black people when they protest loudly (see Black Lives Matter). And they don't like,it whenBlack people protest silently (see the anthem curfluffle). One might rightly assume, therefore, Trump and his minions just don't like Black people at all. And using the National Anthem as an aegis in their outrage flies in the face of all things good and proper and fitting about our nation.

Greg

Whites and Latinos in America are pretty much on the same page. Cubans and legal Mexicans helped Trump win Florida.

Greg

Whites and Latinos in America are pretty much on the same page. Cubans and legal Mexicans helped Trump win Florida.

I've heard anecdotally over the last number of years that the two groups aren't particularly friendly.

Greg

Forum List

Back