If we don't stop treating our ocean worse than we do our toilet bowls, nothing else will matter

This is not warmist moron. The oceans are getting fucked and you don't care. Fish are disappearing, mercury has contaminated everything, the coral reefs are becoming calcified, entire massive swaths of ocean are covered in garbage, oil spills... hell half the damn Pacific is radioactive from the Fukushima meltdown. If you don't think humans have done anything to the ocean then you're a complete fool.
oh my the end of the earth is upon us!!!!! hahahahhahahahahaahahahaha you raving nut job. go to sleep.
^ Idiocracy happening right before our very eyes.
I know right. Why don't you go away and it won't be in my eyes.
It always ends up in your eyes. Maybe you should start asking men to splooge somewhere else, like your stomach.
you can just leave if it upsets you so that someone has a different thought than you.

jc456

You have not posted a "thought".

All you have done is hide behind childish name calling.

How about some verifiable facts to back up your insults?

:link:

large islands of plastics....not a good thing

One of the problems with all that plastic is it breaks down to plankton sized particles , drifts around the ocean and is eaten by any animal that eats plankton.
Seems to me those large patches of plastic could be cleaned up . Yet billions are being poured into the global warming problem with little effect on the environment.
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+in+pacific+gyre&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS434US549&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&imgil=t_H978MX_Mx0xM%3A%3BH2GRepuRBEwQxM%2

picture

The Fallacy of Cleaning the Gyres of Plastic With a Floating "Ocean Cleanup Array"
by Stiv Wilson, 07/17/13

stiv-wilson-5-gyres-537x362.jpg

As the policy director of the ocean conservation nonprofit 5Gyres.org, I can tell you that the problem of ocean plastic pollution is massive. In case you didn’t know, an ocean gyre is a rotating current that circulates within one of the world’s oceans – and recent research has found that these massive systems are filled with plastic waste. There are no great estimates (at least scientific) on how much plastic is in the ocean, but I can say from firsthand knowledge (after sailing to four of the world’s five gyres) that it’s so pervasive it confounds the senses. Gyre cleanup has often been floated as a solution in the past, and recently Boyan Slat’s proposed ‘Ocean Cleanup Array’ went viral in a big way. The nineteen-year-old claims that the system can clean a gyre in 5 years with ‘unprecedented efficiency’ and then recycle the trash collected. The problem is that the barriers to gyre cleanup are so massive that the vast majority of the scientific and advocacy community believe it’s a fool’s errand – the ocean is big, the plastic harvested is near worthless, and sea life would be harmed. The solutions starts on land.

Read more: The Fallacy of Cleaning the Gyres of Plastic With a Floating "Ocean Cleanup Array" | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

oh my the end of the earth is upon us!!!!! hahahahhahahahahaahahahaha you raving nut job. go to sleep.
It always ends up in your eyes. Maybe you should start asking men to splooge somewhere else, like your stomach.
you can just leave if it upsets you so that someone has a different thought than you.

jc456

jc456

I just took care of that. present something i can refute. You posting garbage is tough to challenge other than pointing out the garbage that it is.

large islands of plastics....not a good thing

One of the problems with all that plastic is it breaks down to plankton sized particles , drifts around the ocean and is eaten by any animal that eats plankton.
Seems to me those large patches of plastic could be cleaned up . Yet billions are being poured into the global warming problem with little effect on the environment.
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+in+pacific+gyre&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS434US549&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&imgil=t_H978MX_Mx0xM%3A%3BH2GRepuRBEwQxM%2

picture

The Fallacy of Cleaning the Gyres of Plastic With a Floating "Ocean Cleanup Array"
by Stiv Wilson, 07/17/13

stiv-wilson-5-gyres-537x362.jpg

As the policy director of the ocean conservation nonprofit 5Gyres.org, I can tell you that the problem of ocean plastic pollution is massive. In case you didn’t know, an ocean gyre is a rotating current that circulates within one of the world’s oceans – and recent research has found that these massive systems are filled with plastic waste. There are no great estimates (at least scientific) on how much plastic is in the ocean, but I can say from firsthand knowledge (after sailing to four of the world’s five gyres) that it’s so pervasive it confounds the senses. Gyre cleanup has often been floated as a solution in the past, and recently Boyan Slat’s proposed ‘Ocean Cleanup Array’ went viral in a big way. The nineteen-year-old claims that the system can clean a gyre in 5 years with ‘unprecedented efficiency’ and then recycle the trash collected. The problem is that the barriers to gyre cleanup are so massive that the vast majority of the scientific and advocacy community believe it’s a fool’s errand – the ocean is big, the plastic harvested is near worthless, and sea life would be harmed. The solutions starts on land.

Read more: The Fallacy of Cleaning the Gyres of Plastic With a Floating "Ocean Cleanup Array" | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
So netty, how much of the earth is made up of oceans? how many miles of that ocean contain this plastic? I'd like to see those stats. The link you provided doesn't do anything to prove a point other than to show what plastic is.

The Trash Vortex

The trash vortex is an area the size of Texas in the North Pacific in which an estimated six kilos of plastic for every kilo of natural plankton, along with other slow degrading garbage, swirls slowly around like a clock, choked with dead fish, marine mammals, and birds who get snared. Some plastics in the gyre will not break down in the lifetimes of the grandchildren of the people who threw them away.

You could save a turtle’s life by using less plastic and making sure your garbage is properly managed. In the North Pacific is an area the size of Turkey of floating plastic rubbish. It is rubbish from the land that is polluting our oceans, choking and trapping millions of fish and animals. We can keep plastic trash out of our ocean and save ocean life.

A turtle found dead in Hawaii had over a thousand pieces of plastic in its stomach and intestines. It has been estimated that over a million seabirds and one hundred thousand marine mammals and sea turtles are killed each year by either eating or getting tangled in six-pack plastic can holders, and discarded netting, fishing lines and other bits of discarded plastic.

Chemical sponge

Plastics can also act as a sort of "chemical sponge", concentrating many of the most damaging of the pollutants found in the world’s oceans: the persistent organic pollutants (POPs). So any animal eating these pieces of plastic debris will also be taking in highly toxic pollutants.

Ocean hitchhikers

Bits of floating plastic can also provide easy transport for plants and animals to move into oceans beyond their normal habitat – these alien species often causing major problems by disturbing the natural balance of the ecosystem.

[All above is from the link. I don't know why it didn't link.]

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.

The Trash Vortex

The trash vortex is an area the size of Texas in the North Pacific in which an estimated six kilos of plastic for every kilo of natural plankton, along with other slow degrading garbage, swirls slowly around like a clock, choked with dead fish, marine mammals, and birds who get snared. Some plastics in the gyre will not break down in the lifetimes of the grandchildren of the people who threw them away.

You could save a turtle’s life by using less plastic and making sure your garbage is properly managed. In the North Pacific is an area the size of Turkey of floating plastic rubbish. It is rubbish from the land that is polluting our oceans, choking and trapping millions of fish and animals. We can keep plastic trash out of our ocean and save ocean life.

A turtle found dead in Hawaii had over a thousand pieces of plastic in its stomach and intestines. It has been estimated that over a million seabirds and one hundred thousand marine mammals and sea turtles are killed each year by either eating or getting tangled in six-pack plastic can holders, and discarded netting, fishing lines and other bits of discarded plastic.

Chemical sponge

Plastics can also act as a sort of "chemical sponge", concentrating many of the most damaging of the pollutants found in the world’s oceans: the persistent organic pollutants (POPs). So any animal eating these pieces of plastic debris will also be taking in highly toxic pollutants.

Ocean hitchhikers

Bits of floating plastic can also provide easy transport for plants and animals to move into oceans beyond their normal habitat – these alien species often causing major problems by disturbing the natural balance of the ecosystem.

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.
I don't doubt for a moment that there isn't plastic floating in the water, it is over what portion of our planet is it in, you just published the size of texas, well that's really small since the ocean makes up 70% of the surface and Texas is but one state in the Northern hemisphere that is 4.3 % of the surface. So excuse me if I don't jump up and down that the earth is ending if we don't clean ourselves up.

The Trash Vortex

Chemical sponge

Ocean hitchhikers

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.
I don't doubt for a moment that there isn't plastic floating in the water, it is over what portion of our planet is it in, you just published the size of texas, well that's really small since the ocean makes up 70% of the surface and Texas is but one state in the Northern hemisphere that is 4.3 % of the surface. So excuse me if I don't jump up and down that the earth is ending if we don't clean ourselves up.

Actually, that is only one of the islands of plastic and not the only one the links mentions.

You're sitting in front of a source of information from all over the world. You can educate yourself or not. Your choice.

The good news
Here’s something that will blow your mind—to clean the ocean of floating plastic, you don’t need to go out and get it, it will come to you. Yep, that’s right. Oceanographer Curtis Ebbsmeyer, author of, Flotsametrics describes a rarely talked about phenomena that occurs naturally in the ocean called Gyre Memory. Gyre Memory demonstrates that upon each orbit of a gyre, the gyre will spit out about half its contents. These contents will then either enter another current or gyre or wash up on land. As this repeats, it means that eventually, all the plastic in the ocean will be spit – out which is why you find plastic fragments on every beach in the world. Beach cleanup is gyre cleanup.

The solution to this problem isn’t elegant, and there exists no silver bullet. The first step in solving the problem is to personally lower your plastic consumption. The next steps are to get involved in cleanups, get involved in campaigns to eliminate problem products, and demand that companies take responsibility for their products post consumer. There is a lot to be hopeful about, even if the real solutions don’t appear real sexy. But with engagement, en masse, there is light at the end of the sewer pipe. Unfortunately with Slat’s idea, I see only wasted resources and more ocean garbage in the making.

lorizimmer.thumbnail.jpg

Sea Chair Device Recycles Ocean Plastic Debris Into Brand New Furniture
by Lori Zimmer, 08/18/11
filed under: green furniture, Recycled Materials

Inspired to rid our oceans of plastic pollution, three Royal College of Art graduates of Studio Swine developed a project called the 'Sea Chair'. Their new device completes a process that collects, sorts and recycles floating plastic garbage, then transforming it into usable plastic chairs. A contender in the Victorinox Time To Care Award, the project has the potential to be realized if it makes it to the top three in the contest.

Read more: Sea Chair Device Recycles Ocean Plastic Debris Into Brand New Furniture | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

The Trash Vortex

Chemical sponge

Ocean hitchhikers

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.

Actually, that is only one of the islands of plastic and not the only one the links mentions.

You're sitting in front of a source of information from all over the world. You can educate yourself or not. Your choice.

you're right. i don't see it as a dire condition. Isn't that my choice?

lorizimmer.thumbnail.jpg

Sea Chair Device Recycles Ocean Plastic Debris Into Brand New Furniture
by Lori Zimmer, 08/18/11
filed under: green furniture, Recycled Materials

Inspired to rid our oceans of plastic pollution, three Royal College of Art graduates of Studio Swine developed a project called the 'Sea Chair'. Their new device completes a process that collects, sorts and recycles floating plastic garbage, then transforming it into usable plastic chairs. A contender in the Victorinox Time To Care Award, the project has the potential to be realized if it makes it to the top three in the contest.

Read more: Sea Chair Device Recycles Ocean Plastic Debris Into Brand New Furniture | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
cool, good for them. They can sell the furniture and make money.

The good news
Here’s something that will blow your mind—to clean the ocean of floating plastic, you don’t need to go out and get it, it will come to you. Yep, that’s right. Oceanographer Curtis Ebbsmeyer, author of, Flotsametrics describes a rarely talked about phenomena that occurs naturally in the ocean called Gyre Memory. Gyre Memory demonstrates that upon each orbit of a gyre, the gyre will spit out about half its contents. These contents will then either enter another current or gyre or wash up on land. As this repeats, it means that eventually, all the plastic in the ocean will be spit – out which is why you find plastic fragments on every beach in the world. Beach cleanup is gyre cleanup.

The solution to this problem isn’t elegant, and there exists no silver bullet. The first step in solving the problem is to personally lower your plastic consumption. The next steps are to get involved in cleanups, get involved in campaigns to eliminate problem products, and demand that companies take responsibility for their products post consumer. There is a lot to be hopeful about, even if the real solutions don’t appear real sexy. But with engagement, en masse, there is light at the end of the sewer pipe. Unfortunately with Slat’s idea, I see only wasted resources and more ocean garbage in the making.

see, that's where you step over the boundary, stop telling people what to do. how insulting.

The Trash Vortex

Chemical sponge

Ocean hitchhikers

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.

Just like John Kerry said, in America "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."

:lalala:

The Trash Vortex

Chemical sponge

Ocean hitchhikers

GP0WAD.jpg

GP014IB.jpg

GP03QPG.jpg

More at the link.

Just like John Kerry said, in America "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."

:lalala:

yes you do!

The good news

Well, maybe it needs to be addressed from multiple points of attack. Maybe giving incentives to big companies who use non foam and plastic packaging, or biodegradable stuff. Seems to me though as long as the garbage patches floating in the ocean are clumped together, there is a way to collect it . removing any large amount would be productive.

Edible water bottle uses algae to create biodegradable alternative

The good news

Well, maybe it needs to be addressed from multiple points of attack. Maybe giving incentives to big companies who use non foam and plastic packaging, or biodegradable stuff. Seems to me though as long as the garbage patches floating in the ocean are clumped together, there is a way to collect it . removing any large amount would be productive.

Edible water bottle uses algae to create biodegradable alternative

I agree but ... In looking at various links about removing the plastic, all the methods were so tiny. Also, very little of the plastic is clumped together. Its like the oil spills - it drifts to the bottom where it continues to do terrible damage but where we cannot reach it.

Did you see the article I linked above? About how the very currents that spread the pollution and plastic throughout the oceans also cast it onto the shore.

I try not to buy disposable plastic (disposable really is another word for permanent) and recycle every thing that I can but with the mega-companies still dumping their crap in the oceans and waterway, it all seems like we're bailing with a thimble.

Without a living ocean, there wont be anything left alive on the land. And right now we're polluting the ocean with things we wouldn't put in a toilet bowl in our homes.

"Eighty percent of pollution to the marine environment comes from the land. One of the biggest sources is called nonpoint source pollution, which occurs as a result of runoff. Nonpoint source pollution includes many small sources, like septic tanks, cars, trucks, and boats, plus larger sources, such as farms, ranches, and forest areas. Millions of motor vehicle engines drop small amounts of oil each day onto roads and parking lots. Much of this, too, makes its way to the sea.

Some water pollution actually starts as air pollution, which settles into waterways and oceans. Dirt can be a pollutant. Top soil or silt from fields or construction sites can run off into waterways, harming fish and wildlife habitats.

Nonpoint source pollution can make river and ocean water unsafe for humans and wildlife. In some areas, this pollution is so bad that it causes beaches to be closed after rainstorms."
What is the biggest source of pollution in the ocean

Compared to climate change, pollution of the enviroment is Mt. Everest, and climate change is a baseball mound.

Modern industry pollutes too much. Much of this is unavoidable and to be accepted in order to have a modern technological society. But the pollution doesn't go away because the wind wisks it away dilluting it to where you can't see it any more, and it doesn't sink intot he sea floor if you put it in the ocean. And over time it builds up becomming a bigger and bigger problem. Left untreated, ocean and land pollution will wipe out the human race a lot sooner than anything having to do with climate change.

And all the money in the world wont save you from this since if you have no more clean air to breathe, or water to drink, or land to grow your food free from contaminations, your money is essentially worthless. Plus as history has shown, when faced with death people without money vastly outnumber those with money and tend to get surly with greedy people threaten the lives of the 'disposable poor.'

carbon dioxide is a significant ocean pollutant:

Oceans of Acid How Fossil Fuels Could Destroy Marine Ecosystems NOVA Next PBS

Forum List

Back