If you were a business owner faced with $10.10 minimum wage would you..

The minimum wage has been raised many times since it's inception and yet somehow we've managed to survive.

And even prosper.

Has raising the minimum wage helped, or was it merely a spring board for the next raise in the minimum wage?

How many jobs used to be minimum wage and now no longer exist?

The minimum wage has been raised many times since it's inception and yet somehow we've managed to survive.

And even prosper.

Only if you call a declining labor force participation "prosperous".

A) Since the minimum wage paid is actually $10.87 (people forget employers pay equal SS/Medicare...) versus what a janitor at $7.25 ($7.80 with FICA)..as a small business owner would you pay the additional $3.06 per hour or $6,375.98 more per year.. OR

B) fire the janitor and buy the below for $7,184 and in the first year save $15,431?

HMMMM which should you do????

Keep spending $22,000 or
save $22,000 by letting the janitor go?

Janitor robot does more than clean floors Concept droid has the flexibility to be a commercial success
Janitor robot does more than clean floors | News | TechRadar
View attachment 29420
I would try and find a way to make up the difference elsewhere if that fails reduce the janitor to part time or let him go.

Australia has very strict immigration laws and has no borders across which illegals can enter.

The wage is higher because supply and demand allow it to be so.

Actually it has lot of immigrants.

You are ignorant.

Australia has quite strict immigration laws, and doesn't have millions of unskilled illegals.

Try again. I bet you couldn't pass the test.

Australia Skilled Immigration Points Test - Australian Visa Bureau

The illegals building most of the homes since 2005 or so were unskilled?
We're living in poorly constructed homes?

Actually it has lot of immigrants.

You are ignorant.

Australia has quite strict immigration laws, and doesn't have millions of unskilled illegals.

Non sequitur, but pretty typical of your comments.

I would pass a law that would FORCE a company to fire the CEO making MILLIONS vs firing a lowly janitor if they insist on doing things that way.

We're not describing a "CEO making millions" here bud!
FACTS deal with FACTS!!!

2,777,680 with 1 to 4 employees, 1,043,448 with 5 to 9, 632,682 with 10 to 19, and 526,355 with 20 to 99. If we assume 3/8 of that final figure falls in the 20 to 50 camp, then there are 197,250 with 20 to 50 employees. The sum total of all of those is 4,651,060, so because of the uncertainty with that final group we can assume the actual figure is somewhere between 4.5 million and 4.75 million firms with 50 or fewer employees.
Statistics about Small Business

But once again... why confuse people with FACTS when stupid idiots keep thinking like you!
How many of those 4.5 million companies pay their employees minimum wage?

You are ignorant.

Non sequitur, but pretty typical of your comments.

My "Non sequitur" is a response to post in which you display YOUR contempt for the "illegals" who are constructing our homes.

And even prosper.

Only if you call a declining labor force participation "prosperous".
The labor force participation rate has gone up and down following minimum wage increases. There is no correlation.

And even prosper.

:lol:

and says in the same breath whilst posting in the breathing the jobs overseas thread.

Come on.

Liberals need to explain why not make minimum wage $15/hr, $10000/hr, etc...there needs to be a implied reason for a ceiling.

The implied reason for a ceiling is that businesses don't have enough money to pay some snotnosed teen $45/hr to flip burgers, so using that logic....it seems this endless raising of the minimum wage is only driving up costs and prices in addition to forcing some to lose their job so others can get $2-$4 more an hour.

Yet that's a lie. A big mac in Australia cost 70 cents tops more than it does here yet their minimum wage is 15$ an hour.

Assuming I were foolish enough to try to run a business in today's regulatory climate:

I could imagine most of my employees would be earning somewhat above minimum wage. Some would not. Of those most would be in entry-level jobs performing tasks that might easily be automated or contracted out. What I would do depends upon the value of the tasks being performed. If one or more employees showed promise and would soon be entitled to an earned raise then no problem though the reward of pay-for-performance might be somewhat delayed. If showing no promise? Now it becomes a pure value decision. If the job still had to be done and there were no advantage to automating or contracting then they could stay and get the new minimum but it might be a cold day in hell before they got a penny more.

Yet that's a lie. A big mac in Australia cost 70 cents tops more than it does here yet their minimum wage is 15$ an hour.

It gives pause to wonder what other fees and taxes must be paid. After all, wages isn't all of overhead.

When I was looking for a part time clean up person a woman applied and I hired her. She had also applied for a minimum wage job as a caretaker for an elderly woman, but that was full time. The applicant got hired there too. She called and said she took the full time job instead. That was understandable.

Before the applicant could even start, the state announced a raise in the minimum wage and the full time job offer was withdrawn. The applicant called me to ask if the part time offer was still open. I told her that paying more for that type of work just wasn't worth it to me. My offer was no longer open either.

The woman remained unemployed. That's how it worked. How I resolved the problem was hiring people on a day to day basis with no permanent employees at all. Whoever showed up at the door at opening got a mop and a rag. When they were done, they got paid for that one day and went on their way.

I have a policy of not clicking on links for which the poster has neither the courtesy nor the intellectual capacity to explain their relevance in his own words.

Hey stay willfully ignorant. No matter to me.

Debunking the "myths" from your link

1.) Large increases in minimum wage has occurred when the economy is booming, not when its stumbling along. Increasing it by a small amount, say 50 cents, may be fine, as it has in the past since businesses can adjust. But increasing it by a large amount means people will get fired or not hired as businesses cannot adjust that quickly to absorb such a large increase.

2.) They never mentioned anything about small business. Instead, they completely ignored the criticism and focused on large businesses.

3.) Though true, teenagers generally enter the workforce at minimum wage jobs. There will be less of those, and will generally hurt the poor more as it will be more difficult to get practical job experience for those entering the workforce.

The CBO estimates that an increase to $10.10 will cost the economy 500,000 jobs.

44995-land-table1b.png

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income - CBO

Forum List

Back