Ignorant Homophobes fined $13,000 for refusing to host wedding

NY Farm That Refused To Host Lesbian Wedding Fined $13,000

Liberty Ridge Farm's owners, citing constitutional rights to free speech and religious freedom, have appealed the August ruling by the Division of Human Rights that they violated state anti-discrimination law.

Their attorney said Robert and Cynthia Gifford paid the $10,000 state civil penalty and $1,500 each to Melisa and Jennie McCarthy, whose 2013 wedding they declined to host. The Giffords testified last year that in their Christian beliefs, marriage is between a man and a woman, and the ceremonies are held at their home, a private space where their own rights should be determinate.

Good!

We hurt them in the pocketbook and we shame them in the media.

There is a dark and twisted version of Christianity being practiced in the U.S. They throw love and tolerance over for fear and ignorance, clinging to one archaic hebrew tribal law.
Evil like gay will one day say"oops, we goofed." Then they will cry like the babies they are acting like.

So anyone who wants to be treated equally under the law is "crying like a baby"? How would you react if you went to a business and they informed you that you were not going to be served because you were a Christian even tho they serve everyone else? Would you go to the state business bureau, crying like a baby?
That happens. I would go somewhere else. But I don't try to force my Christian beliefs down a business throat neither. I wouldn't pay the fine neither.
Even tho the law is expressly on your side?

And as for not paying the fine.....that is what civil disobedience is all about, isn't it? If this person believes so strongly in their cause, they don't pay the fine and they work with others to get the unfair laws changed.......isn't that the American way?

Segregationists, you mean liberals?

Most of them we're Democrats.

Segregationists, Mr Non Seqitur.

Yup. Democrats. George Wallace and the like.

Now blacks are talking about it more than anyone. Bet you could include protesters in Ferguson in that group.
I always get a tickle when someone can't, or won't grasp the difference between Yellow Dog Democrats, Dixiecrats, and post Reagan era Democrats.

They always wind up looking silly, unless they're just trolling after too many adult beverages, or too much Fox News/Rush, in the morning

You want to segregate them but the point is they were Democrats. The only reason we passed a civil rights bill was because of Republicans. Same goes for the Emancipation Proclamation.

Them's the facts.

Read it and weep.
Actually, the civil rights bill was passed due to NORTHERN Republicans and NORTHERN Democrats......and signed by a Democrat President into law.

Yes I remember what Johnson called blacks around the time he signed it. In this case, what their intent was matters a great deal.

He did what Democrats always do. Take credit for doing a good thing and using it in an underhanded manner. To buy votes.

Liberty Ridge Farm's owners, citing constitutional rights to free speech and religious freedom, have appealed the August ruling by the Division of Human Rights that they violated state anti-discrimination law.

Their attorney said Robert and Cynthia Gifford paid the $10,000 state civil penalty and $1,500 each to Melisa and Jennie McCarthy, whose 2013 wedding they declined to host. The Giffords testified last year that in their Christian beliefs, marriage is between a man and a woman, and the ceremonies are held at their home, a private space where their own rights should be determinate.

Good!

There is a dark and twisted version of Christianity being practiced in the U.S. They throw love and tolerance over for fear and ignorance, clinging to one archaic hebrew tribal law.
Evil like gay will one day say"oops, we goofed." Then they will cry like the babies they are acting like.

So anyone who wants to be treated equally under the law is "crying like a baby"? How would you react if you went to a business and they informed you that you were not going to be served because you were a Christian even tho they serve everyone else? Would you go to the state business bureau, crying like a baby?

1. for Christians and Constitutionalists who believe the ACA violates beliefs in Constitutional limits on govt
and mandates a political belief in health care as a right forced through govt at the expense of due process and liberty,
YES there has been a national outcry over that violation and exclusion/penalty that discriminates on the basis of creed

2. for Christians who are banned from sharing prayer or scripture as an expression of free speech
YES there is protest that public schools USE public funds so should accommodate the public equally

For businesses,
the Christians I know are happy to take their business to places that deserve it.

the people I see suing over this
are trying to make a social or political statement.

same as atheists suing over crosses or pledges
as opposed to those who just live and let live and don't sue over this.

Frankly I believe the ACA mandates are the worst infringement on religious freedom
by the federal govt establishing a national belief in the right to health care forced on taxpayers under fear of penalty.

that is more frightening that local battles over
school prayers and crosses on public property.

The gay marriage issue is somewhere in between,
where it could be resolved locally but instead it is affecting whole states.

The ACA violations are more serious because that is the equivalent of establishing
a political belief for the entire nation through Congress, and enforcing fines if this belief is not practiced as mandated!

Good!

Ask a smoker in a cigar bar

Good lord

Excellent point.

Mark

Stupid point until bigots are declared a protected class.

Who gets to decide who is a protected class? The whole concept of a protected class is a shit on the principles of equality.

Everyone should be protected from the government, but people shouldn't have the government protect their feewings.
Then push to have all PA (public accommodation) laws repealed.

PA's have their place in things like the hotel industry, travel services, actual public spaces, and other things relevant to necessities and interstate commerce. what has to be repealed is calling everything a public accommodation.
Ok....so, state PA (public accommodation) laws are written with those express differences spelled out?

Why don't we just enforce the laws we like and ignore the ones we don't.
Precedence has been established at the highest levels in our government.

It's only fair.

Good!

That happens. I would go somewhere else. But I don't try to force my Christian beliefs down a business throat neither. I wouldn't pay the fine neither.
Even tho the law is expressly on your side?

And as for not paying the fine.....that is what civil disobedience is all about, isn't it? If this person believes so strongly in their cause, they don't pay the fine and they work with others to get the unfair laws changed.......isn't that the American way?

Sure, like how Bill O'Reilly paid the fine for the military family countersued by the Westboro Baptists
for abridging their free speech to disrupt their family funeral. they won their case, but lost on appeal and were ordered
to pay the fine, so O'Reilly paid it for them.

That's what happens, but please tell me you'd prefer this practice should be avoided,
this business of suing instead of resolving grievances civilly.

If we know this conflict exists, wouldn't it make sense to address and resolve it in advance,
instead of letting any more lawsuits keep coming out? Duh!

Good!

1. for Christians and Constitutionalists who believe the ACA violates beliefs in Constitutional limits on govt
and mandates a political belief in health care as a right forced through govt at the expense of due process and liberty,
YES there has been a national outcry over that violation and exclusion/penalty that discriminates on the basis of creed

2. for Christians who are banned from sharing prayer or scripture as an expression of free speech
YES there is protest that public schools USE public funds so should accommodate the public equally

For businesses,
the Christians I know are happy to take their business to places that deserve it.

Frankly I believe the ACA mandates are the worst infringement on religious freedom
by the federal govt establishing a national belief in the right to health care forced on taxpayers under fear of penalty.

The ACA violations are more serious because that is the equivalent of establishing
a political belief for the entire nation through Congress, and enforcing fines if this belief is not practiced as mandated!
I wouldn't mind ACA going away if EVERYONE who refused to get health care signed a contract stating that they would be paying their own health bills out of pocket and it would never ever fall upon the American taxpayer. That included ER visits, etc. Can't pay? Too bad for you.

Who gets to decide who is a protected class? The whole concept of a protected class is a shit on the principles of equality.

Everyone should be protected from the government, but people shouldn't have the government protect their feewings.

PA's have their place in things like the hotel industry, travel services, actual public spaces, and other things relevant to necessities and interstate commerce. what has to be repealed is calling everything a public accommodation.
Ok....so, state PA (public accommodation) laws are written with those express differences spelled out?

Why don't we just enforce the laws we like and ignore the ones we don't.
Precedence has been established at the highest levels in our government.

It's only fair.

Good!

Ask a smoker in a cigar bar

Good lord
I have no idea what happens. Tell me.

Good!

For businesses,

I wouldn't mind ACA going away if EVERYONE who refused to get health care signed a contract stating that they would be paying their own health bills out of pocket and it would never ever fall upon the American taxpayer. That included ER visits, etc. Can't pay? Too bad for you.

Well, funny you should mention that.

This is sort of what Obamacare is about.

What happened to religious freedom? It's as if the Nazi party has taken over. Spying on American citizens, using bureaucratic tricks to punish enemies of the state and now fining innocent people for refusing to cater to the homosexual agenda.

and again, you are splitting hairs. Fine, they are wasting government's time with this. Still, go fuck yourself.
Is there a reason why you have to be rude? Besides not having an argument to stand with, that is?

1. you deserve it you Nazi fuck.
2. People deciding their fake rights are more important than others real rights, especially when they get government involved piss me off and deserve no courtesy whatsoever.
Apparently you are upset about having no valid argument. Thus you resort to rude insults.

I resort to rude insults regardless of the validity of my arguments, said insults are based on the target, not the topic.
Exactly, because you cannot handle the topic.

I can handle it just fine. I just don't pretend to observe the niceties of decorum for people I do not respect.

Excellent point.

Mark

they are interpreted by busy body judges to allow their pet social classes to force others to bend to their will. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good!

For businesses,

Yes, so let's do this, let's start organizing networks of all the resources
and facilities so people are encouraged and rewarded with tax breaks
for investing in developing their own campuses and districts with all the services they need to be sustainable.

I agree we need to invest and focus locally
and quit fighting over trying to globalize policies for all people
when there is too much diversity, people need to respresent themselves
and accountability works better by self-government and local controls.

The segregationists and anti miscegenationists believed it was there, it doesn't matter if YOU believe it's there.

Segregationists, you mean liberals?

Most of them we're Democrats.

Segregationists, Mr Non Seqitur.

Yup. Democrats. George Wallace and the like.

Now blacks are talking about it more than anyone. Bet you could include protesters in Ferguson in that group.
I always get a tickle when someone can't, or won't grasp the difference between Yellow Dog Democrats, Dixiecrats, and post Reagan era Democrats.

They always wind up looking silly, unless they're just trolling after too many adult beverages, or too much Fox News/Rush, in the morning

You want to segregate them but the point is they were Democrats. The only reason we passed a civil rights bill was because of Republicans. Same goes for the Emancipation Proclamation.

Them's the facts.

Read it and weep.
Aaaaand I am wasting my time. Have a nice day, and feel free to think you won the argument.

What happened to religious freedom? It's as if the Nazi party has taken over. Spying on American citizens, using bureaucratic tricks to punish enemies of the state and now fining innocent people for refusing to cater to the homosexual agenda.
Can you please clearly state what is it that you are not religiously allowed to do now?

Is there a reason why you have to be rude? Besides not having an argument to stand with, that is?

1. you deserve it you Nazi fuck.
2. People deciding their fake rights are more important than others real rights, especially when they get government involved piss me off and deserve no courtesy whatsoever.
Apparently you are upset about having no valid argument. Thus you resort to rude insults.

I resort to rude insults regardless of the validity of my arguments, said insults are based on the target, not the topic.
Exactly, because you cannot handle the topic.

I can handle it just fine. I just don't pretend to observe the niceties of decorum for people I do not respect.
So you are unable to be civil. I wonder why that is. It's really not that hard to do.

Forum List

Back