Illinois man freed after 20 years in prison gets $20 million

Stopping the death penalty carries a big cost. It insures many additional (and unnecessary) deaths to follow. Much more than the number of convicts wrongly executed. ALL factors need to be considered.

Last edited:
  • Banned
That's an opinion only at this point. Let's see the numbers and the money involved. Since the death penalty does not deter murders that are intended, part of your contention falls.

That's an opinion only at this point. Let's see the numbers and the money involved. Since the death penalty does not deter murders that are intended, part of your contention falls.
What a ridiculous statement. Of course the death penalty deters murders. It stops them completely. What do you think I'm talking about ? It deters/prevents all the murders that the executed convict can no longer commit, because he's dead.

• Banned
Your brain is not working. It will not stop the intended murder, only punish it. You need to think.

Your brain is not working. It will not stop the intended murder, only punish it. You need to think.
What is wrong with you ?

Have you ever seen an executed prisoner (WHO IS DEAD), come back to life and kill again ? Sheeeesh!! Focus, dude!
geez.gif

• Banned
What is wrong with you ?

Have you ever seen an executed prisoner (WHO IS DEAD), come back to life and kill again ? Sheeeesh!! Focus, dude!
That is not who we are talking about. Deterrence is preventing murder from happening in the first place, not after the fact. You need to think, my friend.
geez.gif

If that men gets 20 million after losing 20 years of his freedom, that man who is now going home after losing 39 years, to me, should get 39 million especially if he is not going to have help in finding a job and a home if he did not have one to go to already.

God bless you and both guys always!!!

Holly

P.S. Of course such a thing unfortunately will not take place for that man.

Just because the man was wrongfully convicted doesn't mean he should be financially rewarded IMHO. He was exonerated with evidence that was NOT available when he was arrested. Why should the people be penalized for that?

Set free, of course, but no money.

^^^ Why should he be punished for it? The man deserves at least something in order to be able to get started again after losing so much time.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ The man lost 20 years, not days, not hours, not minutes, not seconds. years. I believe that he deserves at least some kind of financial spring board. Maybe not 20 million, but something to get him started.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

you libs are so predictable. There is probably less than 0.5% chance of an innocent person being put to death or spending significant time in jail. So you want to let the 99.5% go free or have the tax payers pay millions to have them rot in jail instead of just saving millions and putting them out of their misery.

What is wrong with you ?

That is not who we are talking about. Deterrence is preventing murder from happening in the first place, not after the fact. You need to think, my friend.
geez.gif

Again. What is wrong with you ? The executed prisoner is EXACTLY who I'm talking about. And if you do not deter him from killing again (by executing him), then that's exactly what he's going to do.You talk about what you want to talk about. I'm talking about what I choose to talk about. And if you click this link and read it, you'll see just what I'm talking about. (and I'm not interested in your different subject from what I'm talking about)

A List of Murderers Released to Murder Again

It's quite clear why you have such a disagreement with me so often. I see it clearly. You are one of those totally programmed liberals, who watches MSNBC or some other liberal media, without a smidgin of conservative input, whereas I watch a wide variety of media (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Huffington, Newsmax, etc) You get one side of a story (with a lot of important stuff omitted). I get all sides, and judge for myself.

Last edited:
The Death Penalty is not a deterrent, nor has it ever been.

Its role has been to take Revenge out of the hands of the family and friends of the victim, and to put it into the more methodical and dispassionate hands of the State.

Revenge... for the victim, primarily, and, secondarily, for the victim's family and friends, and even, in a tertiary sort of way, for the community at large, for thus damaging and weakening and disturbing the community.

Revenge.

It has been thus, since the earliest times, when the payment of 'wergeld' (blood money) and eye-for-an-eye personal violence were taken out of the hands of an aggrieved peasantry and put into the hands of the local nobility of a post-tribal, feudal, pre-medieval Europe.

In that respect, nothing has really changed since those earlier times.

Except that nowadays, the State exacts that Revenge through a long, drawn-out legalistic Danse Macabre - tightly controlled and monitored, to ensure the fewest possible mistakes.

Usually, the system works.

Sometimes, it doesn't.

But let's not forget how State-sponsored Capital Punishment got its start, and why it has been sustained for so many long centuries - fulfilling, as it does, a basic human need.

Revenge.

Last edited:

Its role has been to take Revenge out of the hands of the family and friends of the victim, and to put it into the more methodical and dispassionate hands of the State.

Revenge... for the victim, primarily, and, secondarily, for the victim's family and friends, and even, in a tertiary sort of way, for the community at large, for thus damaging and weakening and disturbing the community.

Revenge.

It has been thus, since the earliest times, when the payment of 'wergeld' (blood money) and eye-for-an-eye personal violence were taken out of the hands of an aggrieved peasantry and put into the hands of the local nobility of a post-tribal, feudal, pre-medieval Europe.

Except that nowadays, the State exacts that Revenge through a long, drawn-out legalistic Danse Macabre - tightly controlled and monitored, to ensure the fewest possible mistakes.

Sometimes, it doesn't.

But let's not forget how State-sponsored Capital Punishment got its start, and why it has been sustained for so many long centuries - fulfilling, as it does, a basic human need.

Revenge.

And it is a component we have to keep, because just because one person may decide they don't need the ultimate punishment to satisfy their desire for justice/revenge (whatever you want to call it) some people still do. And if those people decide the State cannot give it to them, they may decide to do it themselves.

Revenge.

Sometimes, it doesn't.

Revenge.
The death penalty absolutely IS A DETERRENT, and always has been. ALL those executed, have been deterred from ever killing again. And many who have not been given the death penalty, HAVE KILLED AGAIN.

Forum List

Back