Illinois Senate GOP Leader Christine Radogno will resign Saturday

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
SPRINGFIELD — Seven months after jump-starting a bipartisan Senate plan to try to save the state, Illinois Senate Republican Leader Christine Radogno — praised for understanding the art of compromise — announced on Thursday that she’s resigning.

The first female caucus leader in Illinois General Assembly history, Radogno, 64, will resign as leader and as a senator on Saturday, the first day of a new fiscal year, and the looming deadline for a budget deal to be reached.

“I have done everything I can do to resolve the state’s budget crisis. I will continue to do so for the coming days. But if the solution will not come on my watch, I hope and pray that the Governor, other legislative leaders, Democrats and Republicans in the Senate and House can find a path to solve the state’s problems,” Radogno said in a statement.

Radogno’s resignation was not a surprise. Many saw her push, along with Illinois Senate President John Cullerton, for the “grand bargain” package as a proactive way to put frustration into action in the waning days of her political career.

State Sen. Bill Brady of Bloomington and Sen. Karen McConnaughay of St. Charles are believed to be the front-runners for Radogno’s leadership post.

Her efforts were met with pain and disappointment when she had to march into Cullerton’s office in March to tell him he’d have no Republican votes besides her own. Cullerton accused Gov. Bruce Rauner of killing the plan. The disruption meant that Radogno, who worked tirelessly to try to get her members on board for some unpopular bills, was ultimately left alone by her caucus.

But Radogno, of Lemont, insisted Thursday the collapse of the plan wasn’t her reason for leaving: “I’m ready to focus on my personal life,” she said.
Illinois Senate GOP Leader Christine Radogno will resign Saturday

Holy crap. It's like an end to an era.

Mike Madigan and his Union thugs.

That mother fucker is setting a record

Michael Joseph Madigan (born April 19, 1942) is the speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives.[1] Except forSolomon Blatt, Madigan is the longest-serving leader of any state legislative body in the history of the United States, having held the position for all but two years since 1983.[2] He has been a member of the Illinois House since 1971, representing the 22nd District, a majority Hispanic area surroundingMidway Airport in Chicago's Southwest Side.

Michael Joseph Madigan (born April 19, 1942) is the speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives.[1] Except forSolomon Blatt, Madigan is the longest-serving leader of any state legislative body in the history of the United States, having held the position for all but two years since 1983.[2] He has been a member of the Illinois House since 1971, representing the 22nd District, a majority Hispanic area surroundingMidway Airport in Chicago's Southwest Side.

Ya. I hate Madigan.

Ya. I hate Madigan.

He has way to to much power over the state and most of the problems lay directly in his and his daughters lap.

To powerful.

Coming from the private sector, I find it quite bothersome that Illinois refuses to do what any private enterprise would do (reluctantly, to be sure) under similar circumstances.

25% of the public labor force would be immediately laid off, permanently. Every single discretionary purchase order would be cancelled. A temporary income surtax - across the board, no exceptions - would be imposed. The legislature and all other elected state officials would take an immediate 20% pay cut. The Court decision that prohibited restructuring pensions and union contracts would be appealed to the USSC. The governor would request that a fiscal overseer with no Illinois political ties be appointed, and the legislature should grant that person plenary powers to modify legislation, including tax laws.

They are doing everything they can to avoid the pain that is inevitable. It's time.

Forum List

Back