In honor of Black History month

Thank this man for doubling the size of the US.

Toussaint Louverture

G%C3%A9n%C3%A9ral_Toussaint_Louverture.jpg

Toussaint Louverture

Napoleon was desperate for cash and he would have sold his mothers undergarments during the Napoleonic wars if prompted. The British navy had already cut him off from his American holdings any way by the Louisiana Purchase.

Toussaint Louverture

Napoleon was desperate for cash and he would have sold his mothers undergarments during the Napoleonic wars if prompted. The British navy had already cut him off from his American holdings any way by the Louisiana Purchase.

Silly rabbit. Toussaint Louverture defeated the French and due to being bankrupt attempting to fight him they sold the land to the US. If they had no option why did the US pay for it instead of just taking it?

Last edited:

Toussaint Louverture

Silly rabbit. Toussaint Louverture defeated the French and due to being bankrupt attempting to fight him they sold the land to the US. If they had no option why did the US pay for it instead of just taking it?

Spain, but this is a topic for another thread. Sorry I corrected inaccurate history. Bye. Oh, and remember this thread deals with African American history.

Last edited:

Spain, but this is a topic for another thread. Sorry I corrected inaccurate history. Bye. Oh, and remember this thread deals with African American history

Then shut up and start another thread clown. And if you read the OP it says Black history you moron. Black people are all over the world. Some stupid people think they can dictate what being Black means. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Spain, but this is a topic for another thread. Sorry I corrected inaccurate history. Bye.

Then shut up and start another thread clown. And if you read the OP it says Black history you moron. Black people are all over the world.

A Mod already told him that and created a thread for that, but not enough people are posting in it I guess so they come back here.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-relations-racism/335757-black-history-month-pros-and-cons.html

Perhaps we should just call it "Celebrating the Accomplishments of the Descendants of Ex-Slaves Month" instead.

Except that all black people do not descend from slaves. And even those who do are now 150 years past the last of the slave era. No other group is forced to see itself as confined to the legacy of its ancesters of 150 years ago. Nobody living today has been a slave, owned slaves, condoned slavery, or has been affected by slavery. Let's stop emphasizing racial differences and start treating all people as Americans who share a common history, good and bad, commendable and non commendable, but which is history and does not define who and what we are required to be now.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

There are people alive who remember, were affected by:

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

I am not faulting anybody who wants to recognize Black History Month. I hope I didn't come across as critical about it.

My point was purely to explain my personal reasons for why I won't be wearing the image of a black person to celebrate Black History month. I might do that because I admire a person who happens to be black, but I want our society to do away with racism. As Morgan Freeman explained, and as I tried to explain, we cannot do that if we continue to make an issue of skin color and continue to see people as black first and whatever else they are as secondary. To me, that in itself is racist.

I don't expect or require others to agree with me on that. It is just my effort to combat racism by not separating a group of people out as different because of the color of their skin.

Toussaint Louverture

Because at that point in the Timeline, all white people were equal in American eyes and deserving of compensation, even if they talked funny.

Because at that point in the Timeline, all white people were equal in American eyes and deserving of compensation, even if they talked funny.

:lol:

Except that all black people do not descend from slaves. And even those who do are now 150 years past the last of the slave era. No other group is forced to see itself as confined to the legacy of its ancesters of 150 years ago. Nobody living today has been a slave, owned slaves, condoned slavery, or has been affected by slavery. Let's stop emphasizing racial differences and start treating all people as Americans who share a common history, good and bad, commendable and non commendable, but which is history and does not define who and what we are required to be now.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

I am not faulting anybody who wants to recognize Black History Month. I hope I didn't come across as critical about it.

My point was purely to explain my personal reasons for why I won't be wearing the image of a black person to celebrate Black History month. I might do that because I admire a person who happens to be black, but I want our society to do away with racism. As Morgan Freeman explained, and as I tried to explain, we cannot do that if we continue to make an issue of skin color and continue to see people as black first and whatever else they are as secondary. To me, that in itself is racist.

I don't expect or require others to agree with me on that. It is just my effort to combat racism by not separating a group of people out as different because of the color of their skin.

The bolded sentence was the most powerful in your discourse. So say a person is a great Black person or great Hispanic person or great Italian is to further cause a racial divide. To me a person is known by their deeds not their skin color and that is what makes them a valued member of society. To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

Last edited:

Tuskeegee.

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] -

I respect your personal opinion but I disagree with it and your assessment of BHM.

To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

:beer: To food, music and lore!!

Ethnic chow ROCKS!! :rock:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJ21Wa31Jk]Independent Lens | Soul Food Junkies | Trailer | PBS - YouTube[/ame]

Spain, but this is a topic for another thread. Sorry I corrected inaccurate history. Bye. Oh, and remember this thread deals with African American history.

No. The thread title is "In Honor of Black History", not "African American History"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back