In honor of Black History month

220px-Clarence_Thomas_official_SCOTUS_portrait.jpg

Clarence Thomas was born in 1948 in Pin Point, Georgia, a small, predominantly black community near Savannah founded by freedmen after the American Civil War. When he was a child, the town lacked a sewage system and paved roads. He was the second of three children born to M.C. Thomas, a farm worker, and Leola Williams, a domestic worker.[5][6] They were descendants of American slaves, and the family spoke Gullah as a first language.[7] Thomas's first-known ancestors were slaves named Sandy and Peggy who were born around the end of the 18th century and owned by wealthy Liberty County, Georgia planter Josiah Wilson.[8] M.C. Thomas left his family when Thomas was two years old. Thomas's mother worked hard but was sometimes paid only pennies per day. She had difficulty putting food on the table and was forced to rely on charity.[9] After a house fire left them homeless, Thomas and his younger brother Myers were taken to live with his mother's parents in Savannah, Georgia. Thomas was seven when the family moved in with his maternal grandfather, Myers Anderson, and Anderson's wife, Christine (née Hargrove), in Savannah.[10]

Living with his grandparents, Thomas enjoyed amenities such as indoor plumbing and regular meals for the first time in his life.[5] His grandfather Myers Anderson had little formal education, but had built a thriving fuel oil business that also sold ice. Thomas calls his grandfather "the greatest man I have ever known."[10] When Thomas was 10, Anderson started taking the family to help at a farm every day from sunrise to sunset.[10] His grandfather believed in hard work and self-reliance; he would counsel Thomas to "never let the sun catch you in bed." Thomas's grandfather also impressed upon his grandsons the importance of getting a good education.[5]

Thomas was the only black person at his high school in Savannah, where he was an honor student.[11] He was raised Roman Catholic. He considered entering the priesthood at the age of 16, and became the first black student to attend St. John Vianney's Minor Seminary (Savannah) on the Isle of Hope.[10] He also briefly attended Conception Seminary College, a Roman Catholic seminary in Missouri. No one in Thomas's family had attended college. Thomas has said that during his first year in seminary, he was one of only "three or four" blacks attending the school.[11] Thomas told interviewers that he left the seminary in the aftermath of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. He had overheard another student say after the shooting, "Good, I hope the son of a bitch died."[6][12] He did not think the church did enough to combat racism.[10]

At a nun's suggestion, Thomas attended the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts. While there, Thomas helped found the Black Student Union. Once he walked out after an incident in which black students were punished while white students went undisciplined for committing the same violation, and some of the priests negotiated with the protesting black students to re-enter the school.[11]

Having spoken the Gullah language as a child, Thomas realized in college that he still sounded unpolished despite having been drilled in grammar at school, and he chose to major in English literature "to conquer the language".[13] At Holy Cross, he was also a member of Alpha Sigma Nu and the Purple Key Society.[14] Thomas graduated from Holy Cross in 1971 with an A.B. cum laude in English literature.[13][14]

Thomas had a series of deferments from the military draft while in college at Holy Cross. Upon graduation, he was classified as 1-A and received a low lottery number, indicating he might be drafted to serve in Vietnam. Thomas failed his medical exam, due to curvature of the spine, and was not drafted.[15] Thomas entered Yale Law School, from which he received a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree in 1974, graduating towards the middle of his class.[16]

Thomas has recollected that his Yale law degree was not taken seriously by law firms to which he applied after graduating. He said that potential employers assumed he obtained it because of affirmative action policies.[17] According to Thomas, he was "asked pointed questions, unsubtly suggesting that they doubted I was as smart as my grades indicated."[18]

I peeled a fifteen-cent sticker off a package of cigars and stuck it on the frame of my law degree to remind myself of the mistake I’d made by going to Yale. I never did change my mind about its value

Clarence Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ben-Carson-475422-1-402.jpg

Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, on September 18, 1951. His mother, though undereducated herself, pushed her sons to read and to believe in themselves. Carson went from being a poor student to receiving honors and he eventually attended medical school. As a doctor, he became the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital at age 33, and became famous for his ground-breaking work separating conjoined twins.

The poverty he lived in and the difficult times he experienced in school seem to exacerbate the anger and rage.

Determined to turn her sons around, Sonya limited their TV time to just a few select programs and refused to let them go outside to play until they'd finished their homework. She was criticized for this by her friends,
who said her boys would grow up to hate her. But she was determined that her sons would have greater opportunities than she did.

She required them to read two library books a week and give her written reports, even though with her poor education, she could barely read them. She would take the papers and pretend to carefully review them, scanning over the words and turning the pages, before placing a checkmark at the top of the page to show her approval.

At first, Ben resented the strict regimen. While his friends were playing outside, he was stuck in the house, forced to read a book or do his homework. But after several weeks of his mother's unrelenting position, he began to find enjoyment in reading. Being poor, there wasn't much opportunity to go anywhere. But between the covers of a book he could go anyplace, be anybody and do anything.
Ben began to learn how to use his imagination and found it more enjoyable than watching television. This attraction to reading soon led to a strong desire to learn more. Carson read books on all types of subjects and found connections between them. He saw himself as the central character of what he was reading, even if it was a technical book or an encyclopedia. He read about people in laboratories, pouring chemicals into a beaker or flask, or discovering galaxies, or peering into a microscope.

He began to see himself differently, different than the other kids in his neighborhood who only wanted to get out of school, get some nice clothes, and a nice car. He saw that he could become the scientist or physician he had dreamed about. Staying focused on this vision of his future helped him get through some of the more difficult times.

Within a year, Ben Carson was amazing his teachers and classmates with his improvement. The childrens' books he read while he was confined to quarters now had relevancy in school. He was able to recall facts and examples from the books and relate them to what he was learning in school. In 5th grade, Ben astonished everyone by indentifying rock samples his teacher had brought to school.

As he recalled several years later, he began to realize that he wasn't stupid. Within a year he was at the top of his class, and the hunger for knowledge had taken hold of him. It wasn't easy in the predominantly all-white school, though. After Ben received a certificate of achievement at the semester break, one of the school's teachers berated the white students for letting a black student get ahead of them academically

Ben Carson Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com

In my mild-mannered way, I would like to point out that what is happening on this thread is a pretty good microcosm of what is happening througout our Union at large.

Some people are all for BHM.

Some people are against it, but have shown respect for Black americans who have made serious contributions to our nation, where they be from the Right or Left or anywhere else. They have also made a solid argument for WHY they are for said person. Pretty cool stuff.

And a small number of total jerks decided to be smart-assed and post pics of black druggies or jail birds or a small black girl missing her teeth or a high-profile convicted murderer in order to express their displeasure at BHM. Well, I have news for them: BHM is going to happen, whether they like it or not.

And I will point out that exactly those people are the reason WHY we need a BHM. Through their own actions, they confirm the "why" of this. For their blatant racism, and it is blatant, needs to be combatted with knowledge. Knowledge overcomes ignorance.

So, nuff of mild-mannered.

Last edited:
Ben-Carson-475422-1-402.jpg

Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, on September 18, 1951. His mother, though undereducated herself, pushed her sons to read and to believe in themselves. Carson went from being a poor student to receiving honors and he eventually attended medical school. As a doctor, he became the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital at age 33, and became famous for his ground-breaking work separating conjoined twins.

The poverty he lived in and the difficult times he experienced in school seem to exacerbate the anger and rage.

Determined to turn her sons around, Sonya limited their TV time to just a few select programs and refused to let them go outside to play until they'd finished their homework. She was criticized for this by her friends,
who said her boys would grow up to hate her. But she was determined that her sons would have greater opportunities than she did.

She required them to read two library books a week and give her written reports, even though with her poor education, she could barely read them. She would take the papers and pretend to carefully review them, scanning over the words and turning the pages, before placing a checkmark at the top of the page to show her approval.

At first, Ben resented the strict regimen. While his friends were playing outside, he was stuck in the house, forced to read a book or do his homework. But after several weeks of his mother's unrelenting position, he began to find enjoyment in reading. Being poor, there wasn't much opportunity to go anywhere. But between the covers of a book he could go anyplace, be anybody and do anything.
Ben began to learn how to use his imagination and found it more enjoyable than watching television. This attraction to reading soon led to a strong desire to learn more. Carson read books on all types of subjects and found connections between them. He saw himself as the central character of what he was reading, even if it was a technical book or an encyclopedia. He read about people in laboratories, pouring chemicals into a beaker or flask, or discovering galaxies, or peering into a microscope.

He began to see himself differently, different than the other kids in his neighborhood who only wanted to get out of school, get some nice clothes, and a nice car. He saw that he could become the scientist or physician he had dreamed about. Staying focused on this vision of his future helped him get through some of the more difficult times.

Within a year, Ben Carson was amazing his teachers and classmates with his improvement. The childrens' books he read while he was confined to quarters now had relevancy in school. He was able to recall facts and examples from the books and relate them to what he was learning in school. In 5th grade, Ben astonished everyone by indentifying rock samples his teacher had brought to school.

As he recalled several years later, he began to realize that he wasn't stupid. Within a year he was at the top of his class, and the hunger for knowledge had taken hold of him. It wasn't easy in the predominantly all-white school, though. After Ben received a certificate of achievement at the semester break, one of the school's teachers berated the white students for letting a black student get ahead of them academically

Ben Carson Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com

That is a GREAT bio of Dr. Carson that you just published. Wow. Cool.

"The Greatest"! Definately a marvel as a boxer and as a man. I had the privilege of meeting him once as a teenage Golden Glover.
Back in 1969, The man who ran our boxing program, Archie Moore(former World Lightheavyweight Champ) told us one day after our drills and sparring sessions that he invited a special guest to speak to us, and at that moment, Ali burst through the door to the gym, reciting poetry and doing the "Ali Shuffle".

He spoke to us for about half an hour about staying in school, staying out of trouble and training techniques.

After that, he took off his shirt, shadow boxed for 15 minutes in his street clothes and recited more poetry and signed autographs afterwards. He was amazing.

Last edited:

"The Greatest"! Definately a marvel as a boxer and as a man. I had the privilege of meeting him once as a teenage Golden Glover.
Back in 1969, The man who ran our boxing program, Archie Moore(former World Lightheavyweight Champ) told us one day after our drills and sparring sessions that he invited a special guest to speak to us, and at that moment, Ali burst through the door to the gym, reciting poetry and doing the "Ali Shuffle".

He spoke to us for about half an hour about staying in school, staying out of trouble and training techniques.

After that, he took of his shirt, shadow boxed for 15 minutes in his street clothes and recited more poetry and signed autographs afterwards. He was amazing.

Too bad he was duped by those NOI frauds. He mouthed some unfortunate things that clearly came from that cult.

Except that all black people do not descend from slaves. And even those who do are now 150 years past the last of the slave era. No other group is forced to see itself as confined to the legacy of its ancesters of 150 years ago. Nobody living today has been a slave, owned slaves, condoned slavery, or has been affected by slavery. Let's stop emphasizing racial differences and start treating all people as Americans who share a common history, good and bad, commendable and non commendable, but which is history and does not define who and what we are required to be now.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

There are people alive who remember, were affected by:

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

I am not faulting anybody who wants to recognize Black History Month. I hope I didn't come across as critical about it.

My point was purely to explain my personal reasons for why I won't be wearing the image of a black person to celebrate Black History month. I might do that because I admire a person who happens to be black, but I want our society to do away with racism. As Morgan Freeman explained, and as I tried to explain, we cannot do that if we continue to make an issue of skin color and continue to see people as black first and whatever else they are as secondary. To me, that in itself is racist.

I don't expect or require others to agree with me on that. It is just my effort to combat racism by not separating a group of people out as different because of the color of their skin.

That sentence tells me just how unaware you appear to be about the importance of recognizing historical Black figures. Black children need to be shown these things because in this country they are not taught that Black people contributed anything much except being slaves and marching. Basically they are taught that they are victims. When you teach a child that they are not much then you get half hearted efforts in school. When you teach the children they come from greatness by pointing out all the Black people who founded the concepts and knowledge base this modern world operates on you see those same Black children achieving that greatness. They are engaged because now they know that people that looked like them did great things.

To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

:beer: To food, music and lore!!

Ethnic chow ROCKS!! :rock:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJ21Wa31Jk]Independent Lens | Soul Food Junkies | Trailer | PBS - YouTube[/ame]

Just don't eat the chittlin' sushi!

To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

:beer: To food, music and lore!!

Ethnic chow ROCKS!! :rock:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJ21Wa31Jk]Independent Lens | Soul Food Junkies | Trailer | PBS - YouTube[/ame]

I had a friend, Basil, he was 40 years older than I and he was a black man from Sugar Hill in Harlem. He was like a second father to me. We would spend time in Harlem on Saturday nights listening to music, talking with the musicians and eating at soul food and just having fun. Met a lot a nice people and had a great time. I miss him.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

There are people alive who remember, were affected by:

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

I am not faulting anybody who wants to recognize Black History Month. I hope I didn't come across as critical about it.

My point was purely to explain my personal reasons for why I won't be wearing the image of a black person to celebrate Black History month. I might do that because I admire a person who happens to be black, but I want our society to do away with racism. As Morgan Freeman explained, and as I tried to explain, we cannot do that if we continue to make an issue of skin color and continue to see people as black first and whatever else they are as secondary. To me, that in itself is racist.

I don't expect or require others to agree with me on that. It is just my effort to combat racism by not separating a group of people out as different because of the color of their skin.

The bolded sentence was the most powerful in your discourse. So say a person is a great Black person or great Hispanic person or great Italian is to further cause a racial divide. To me a person is known by their deeds not their skin color and that is what makes them a valued member of society. To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

Exactly. I'm a pure mongrel with so many different components to my heritage that it looks like fruit basket turnover when we try to trace it on paper. But our multi-ethnic family has a lot of fun teasing each other about being so Italian or so Spanish or so Mexican or so Irish or so Texan or whatever. But we're all family first, Americans first, loved ones first and whatever the ethnicity is just part of what makes us interesting.

I think we will be a much less racist country when we take that attitude with all people instead of continuing to reinforce the idea that there are some of us who are different because their skin is black.

The bolded sentence was the most powerful in your discourse. So say a person is a great Black person or great Hispanic person or great Italian is to further cause a racial divide. To me a person is known by their deeds not their skin color and that is what makes them a valued member of society. To celebrate one's ethnicity or race within the confirms of their family or group is a completely different story as my family did and I continue to do with my son through food, music and lore.

Exactly. I'm a pure mongrel with so many different components to my heritage that it looks like fruit basket turnover when we try to trace it on paper. But our multi-ethnic family has a lot of fun teasing each other about being so Italian or so Spanish or so Mexican or so Irish or so Texan or whatever. But we're all family first, Americans first, loved ones first and whatever the ethnicity is just part of what makes us interesting.

I think we will be a much less racist country when we take that attitude with all people instead of continuing to reinforce the idea that there are some of us who are different because their skin is black.

There's truth to this.

But the teasing would be cruel without first a genuine interest in and understanding of some of the racial and ethnic differences. There's nothing wrong with acknowledgment, it's the hate we can do without.

By no means am I saying that YOU are a hater, Miss Foxfyre. I know you well enough to know that you don't hate in general. I'm generalizing here.

Would a big chunk of the world's hate just stop, if hate based on racial differences were suddenly rendered passe by society?
:eusa_think:

`

That sentence tells me just how unaware you appear to be about the importance of recognizing historical Black figures. Black children need to be shown these things because in this country they are not taught that Black people contributed anything much except being slaves and marching. Basically they are taught that they are victims. When you teach a child that they are not much then you get half hearted efforts in school. When you teach the children they come from greatness by pointing out all the Black people who founded the concepts and knowledge base this modern world operates on you see those same Black children achieving that greatness. They are engaged because now they know that people that looked like them did great things.

I can't speak to all people and all places, but it seems to me that this line of thinking is both wrong and counterproductive, especially when it seems a stretch or when it focuses on a handful of black figures like MLK. In my experience, teachers in majority black classes have generally done a pretty good job with history over the last 30 years. But students who see little need for success in school and do poorly in math and English are unlikely to be more motivated to learn Black history.

There is also a persistent habit in the teaching of history to ignore the realities of ordinary life and to discount the role of all but the literate classes. This is true of the Chinese in America, the Irish in America, and the Jews in America as it is of blacks in America. History has a large class bias, regardless of color. I would agree that this bias is more apparent and deeper when it comes to people of color. But the solution is not a tit-for-tat "I see your Thomas Edison and raise you one George Washington Carver" approach. That approach looks strained and artificial.

I would suggest that when the pervasive malign influence of class is suspended a bit, and we look at the real history of our country, we will find plenty of ordinary black people making extraordinary contributions in 1774 Boston, as distinguished military units in every war, as writers and artists, in every branch of the professions, and as the common people who actually built this country.

If you want to subscribe to the "great man" theory of history, try starting with Fannie Lou Hamer.

There's truth to this.

But the teasing would be cruel without first a genuine interest in and understanding of some of the racial and ethnic differences. There's nothing wrong with acknowledgment, it's the hate we can do without.

By no means am I saying that YOU are a hater, Miss Foxfyre. I know you well enough to know that you don't hate in general. I'm generalizing here.

Would a big chunk of the world's hate just stop, if hate based on racial differences were suddenly rendered passe by society?
:eusa_think:

`

It would certainly take a chunk of the hate out of the equation. But racist hate is actually pretty rare in this country. Instead we have a much more subtle form of racism rooted in opportunism, political correctness, and ingrained assumptions that black people are different from all others in the collective mind. It is an almost subconscious attitude that black people are not capable of or strong enough to be fully included in society and treated like all other people. A concept that they are different and special deference needs to be made to them and any who do not do that are racist. We are raising a generation to see black people that way--that encourages people with black skin to see themselves that way.

The unethical, both black and white, perpetuate this for self-serving reasons, and many good people I think perpetuate it out of well intended motives while failing to understand or recognize the unintended negative consequences. I still say that we will eliminate almost all racism in this country by adopting an attitude that we are all Americans and treat everybody the same rather than culturally forcing one large group of people to be different from all the rest.

Last edited:

You have to be fucking kidding. Really?

Wow.

Sometimes sarcasm escapes people. Lighten up. Trajan is being funny

I find it kinda ironic that a certain somebody is missing from being honored in this thread. I wonder why that is :lol:

Hehe, 215 posts and now it won't be long before someone on the left realizes they forgot all about the man they have worshipped for nearly six years now. How long now before they all start "honoring" him?

You have to be fucking kidding. Really?

Wow.

Sometimes sarcasm escapes people. Lighten up. Trajan is being funny

I find it kinda ironic that a certain somebody is missing from being honored in this thread. I wonder why that is :lol:

Hehe, 215 posts and now it won't be long before someone on the left realizes they forgot all about the man they have worshipped for nearly six years now. How long now before they all start "honoring" him?

This is about celebrating HISTORY as opposed to the PRESENT.

Forum List

Back