In honor of Black History month

How are we going to get rid of racism?

Stop talking about it.

fukken a right Morgan.

@Two Thumbs -

IMO, there is validity to your argument, I would not even consider shooting it down.

However, honoring the achievements of outstanding black Americans, many of whose bios fell though the cracks of history due to the blatant racism of their time, is not talking about racism. It is talking about those people and their accomplishments.

That is a HUGE difference.

But that can be done without singling people out for recognition for no other reason than their skin is black as if that is somehow unusual. IMO, seeing a successful black person as remarkable just because he or she is black perpetuates racism. It perpetuates the appearance that black people must be treated differently because they are not yet capable of taking their rightful place in 'regular society'. I think we have progressed to the point we need to be color blind and not emphasize differences in skin color in ways that separate us into racial groups.

You missed my point entirely. Please re-read.

@Two Thumbs -

IMO, there is validity to your argument, I would not even consider shooting it down.

However, honoring the achievements of outstanding black Americans, many of whose bios fell though the cracks of history due to the blatant racism of their time, is not talking about racism. It is talking about those people and their accomplishments.

But that can be done without singling people out for recognition for no other reason than their skin is black as if that is somehow unusual. IMO, seeing a successful black person as remarkable just because he or she is black perpetuates racism. It perpetuates the appearance that black people must be treated differently because they are not yet capable of taking their rightful place in 'regular society'. I think we have progressed to the point we need to be color blind and not emphasize differences in skin color in ways that separate us into racial groups.

No I think I got your point loud and clear. It is not only black people have fallen between the cracks of history due to their circumstances. There are many people who deserved recognition and accolades who never got it--many people of other colors fall into that category due to racism--and there are many other causes for that as well among people of all races.

Did you miss the point that singling out somebody, for whatever reason--even a good reason--, purely because his skin is black is in itself a racist thing? Morgan Freeman knows it. I can name a dozen other prominent black people who know it. If we are ever going to get past racism, we have to stop singling people out for no other reason than the color of their skin.

Amazing guy...
:thup: Amazing interview about an amazing project.​
Neil deGrasse Tyson on the New Cosmos - YouTube

I went with Tupac for my February avatar, but maybe I should have chosen Neil DeGrasse Tyson. As a science nerd he is one of my heroes. :redface:

Ahhh... but to what end, if not for the arts? Surely not just labour, even nobel labor, awaits?

:rock: Tupac Rocks!​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjv7hEAytU]Tupac - Me Against The World - YouTube[/ame]

No I think I got your point loud and clear. It is not only black people have fallen between the cracks of history due to their circumstances. There are many people who deserved recognition and accolades who never got it--many people of other colors fall into that category due to racism--and there are many other causes for that as well among people of all races.

Did you miss the point that singling out somebody, for whatever reason--even a good reason--, purely because his skin is black is in itself a racist thing? Morgan Freeman knows it. I can name a dozen other prominent black people who know it. If we are ever going to get past racism, we have to stop singling people out for no other reason than the color of their skin.

Atheists say the same thing about having christmas celebrations

It wasn't long ago some folks here were upset about breast cancer awareness and wondered why there is no prostate cancer awareness.

Some folks argue why should women have a women history.

In my opinion if Christians want to display ornaments and celebrate Christmas publicly do it, same for women history celebrating obstacles overcome and same for blacks celebrating obstacles overcome, same for anyone who just has a special interest in something particular or overcame something and wants a group to identify with.

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Nobody is distinguishing here to say they are superior.

If others don't want to celebrate an accomplishment then don't.

why should it be such a big deal ?

Those who don't want to sport an avie just don't do it.

It takes nothing away from men to celebrate women history, it takes nothing from atheists to celebrate christmas and it takes nothing from any other race to celebrate black history.

Coyote actually spilt this thread so people could discuss how much they agree or disagree with celebrating black history.

This thread is simply for those who want to honor it posting historical accomplishments, authors, inspiring speakers, inventors etc. :smiliehug:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-relations-racism/335757-black-history-month-pros-and-cons.html

Last edited:

Simply recognizing racial differences for what they are is not, in and of itself, a bad thing... nor is the celebrating any given subset of humanity based on race alone.

Whatever it takes to educate the the growing population of this shrinking planet that Monkeys are all pink on the inside. :thup:

`

Perhaps we should just call it "Celebrating the Accomplishments of the Descendants of Ex-Slaves Month" instead.

Except that all black people do not descend from slaves. And even those who do are now 150 years past the last of the slave era. No other group is forced to see itself as confined to the legacy of its ancesters of 150 years ago. Nobody living today has been a slave, owned slaves, condoned slavery, or has been affected by slavery. Let's stop emphasizing racial differences and start treating all people as Americans who share a common history, good and bad, commendable and non commendable, but which is history and does not define who and what we are required to be now.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

There are people alive who remember, were affected by:

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

Perhaps we should just call it "Celebrating the Accomplishments of the Descendants of Ex-Slaves Month" instead.

Except that all black people do not descend from slaves. And even those who do are now 150 years past the last of the slave era. No other group is forced to see itself as confined to the legacy of its ancesters of 150 years ago. Nobody living today has been a slave, owned slaves, condoned slavery, or has been affected by slavery. Let's stop emphasizing racial differences and start treating all people as Americans who share a common history, good and bad, commendable and non commendable, but which is history and does not define who and what we are required to be now.

I see what you're saying Foxfyre and agree - we need to start treating all people as Americans regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender etc...but, there are still hurdles to overcome.

Technically, slavery was over "150 years ago" but the reality is it's affects endure up to today.

Jim Crowe segregation. Seperate but equal. Drinking fountains for coloreds and drinking fountains for whites.

Tuskeegee.

It wasn't until 1964 that miscegenation laws were ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Civil Rights era: black churches firebombed, voting rights workers murdered, poll taxes, firehoses and police dogs turned on black demonstrators.

This is just a tiny handful of a very long post-slavery legacy that still exists in living memory - both in the memories of those who opposed equality and those who supported it. I don't think they can dismiss it so easily.

That same legacy is the one that taught us history from a primarily white male centered view point: the founding fathers, the western expansion, the civil war and the end of slavery. When I was in school - the civil rights era had not yet entered into history. It was too recent and unsettled. Contributions by blacks, native Americans, and women were a footnote. I think recognizing these groups and eventually incorporating them into the larger narrative is good - they shouldn't just disappear into oblivian again though. :dunno:

How many believe that the American Civil War ended in the 1860's?

If it was all about freedom for blacks as a group, blacks as a group didn't demand their piece of the US Constitution until the 1960's.

If they tell you things were different in the 1950's, well no shit.

quote-music-played-a-large-role-in-the-survival-of-the-black-people-in-america-that-and-a-sense-of-redd-foxx-229687.jpg

Tuskeegee.

How many believe that the American Civil War ended in the 1860's?

If it was all about freedom for blacks as a group, blacks as a group didn't demand their piece of the US Constitution until the 1960's.

If they tell you things were different in the 1950's, well no shit.

???

angelou.jpg

Still I Rise by Maya Angelou

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]

first bolded: would you care to name some? I would be glad to research their cases, if you provide names.

second bolded: to set aside a time to remember the contributions of a race that for a long time was maligned, but is an integral part of our society, is not "singling" any one person out. And then, if we here in USMB individually decide to find a role model to represent the whole, for instance as an avi, we are not "singling" someone out. And no, doing that is not racism. That is just batshit crazy in my book. Sorry, I don't buy it.

You should be aware that the logic you are trying to apply has been abused by nasty, hardcore racists many, many times over in history. I do not believe that you intend it that way, however.

The day may just come when we are all so mixed racially that none of this will matter at all. Perhaps.

So...who wants to show support for our brothers and sisters of the human race and sport a great Avie in their honor? Pretty sure there are blacks here. And they ARE a member of this board and are part of this disfunctional family, lol.

AND PLEASE don't make it a flame thread if you have a problem with Blacks.
Thanks in advance.

Plug for a friend.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_28?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=coming+of+age+in+mississippi+moody&sprefix=coming+of+age+in+mississippi%2Cstripbooks%2C212]Amazon.com: coming of age in mississippi moody: Books[/ame]

How are we going to get rid of racism?

Stop talking about it.

fukken a right Morgan.

@Two Thumbs -

Then we should have an American history month.

color doesn't need to be brought up

jezuz, it's the never ending double standard

no

I don't support things that divide Americans into sub groups.

It's demeaning to think that blacks need a month to learn American history

I agree with Morgan Freeman.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s]Morgan Freeman on Black History Month - YouTube[/ame]

and just for some giggles, I'd like to point out douchy corrected Morgan by making it clear he wasn't white, but was a jew.

stunned that part made it on air

Past history, not recent history.

But the details of that OP are indeed correct. And I'm glad you brought it up.

The story of Oklahoma/Kansas is especially heartening, in many ways.

The GOP would do itself a world of good look at that long-past history and remember what it did back then and ask itself why it is not doing that now.

nuff said.

Past history, not recent history.

But the details of that OP are indeed correct. And I'm glad you brought it up.

The story of Oklahoma/Kansas is especially heartening, in many ways.

The GOP would do itself a world of good look at that long-past history and remember what it did back then and ask itself why it is not doing that now.

nuff said.

at risk of derailing

at some point, people need to do for themselves and stop asking for help from the outside and look at what people (immigrants) did to pull themselves up

Forum List

Back