In honor of Black History month

any of these men are a good choice though;

tuskegeeairmen2.jpg

The Tuskegee Airmen? Brilliant!

I picked baseball Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson for my avi. He'll always be remembered as a legend in the history of baseball, and of the United States.

It wasn't until the spring of 1945, at the age of 26, that Jackie Robinson first took the field as a professional baseball player, doing so for the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro American League, at which point it had been half a decade since he last played, poorly, for UCLA.

It was during that 1945 season that Robinson had his infamous tryout for the Red Sox at Fenway Park, and it was later that same year that the Dodgers' Branch Rickey identified Robinson, who had excelled for Kansas City, as the man to carry out Rickey's "noble experiment." Signed by the Dodgers, Robinson spent 1946, his age-27 season with the Triple-A Montreal Royals, where he again proved his value on the field, hitting .349/.468/.462 while playing a slick second base and stealing 40 bases in 124 games. That outstanding performance, which culminated in an International League championship for Montreal, earned him the respect and admiration of the Royals' players, coaches and fans, and set the stage for history.

While, as mentioned above, it can be hard to separate Jackie Robinson the ballplayer from Jackie Robinson the pioneer, it is not always appropriate to do so when evaluating his major league career. To be sure, given the weight on his shoulders in his rookie season of 1947, one cannot take his performance at face value.

He broke baseball's color line on April 15, 1947

Jackie Robinson was a legend as a player, as well as a pioneer - MLB - Cliff Corcoran - SI.com

I picked baseball Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson for my avi. He'll always be remembered as a legend in the history of baseball, and of the United States.

It wasn't until the spring of 1945, at the age of 26, that Jackie Robinson first took the field as a professional baseball player, doing so for the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro American League, at which point it had been half a decade since he last played, poorly, for UCLA.

It was during that 1945 season that Robinson had his infamous tryout for the Red Sox at Fenway Park, and it was later that same year that the Dodgers' Branch Rickey identified Robinson, who had excelled for Kansas City, as the man to carry out Rickey's "noble experiment." Signed by the Dodgers, Robinson spent 1946, his age-27 season with the Triple-A Montreal Royals, where he again proved his value on the field, hitting .349/.468/.462 while playing a slick second base and stealing 40 bases in 124 games. That outstanding performance, which culminated in an International League championship for Montreal, earned him the respect and admiration of the Royals' players, coaches and fans, and set the stage for history.

While, as mentioned above, it can be hard to separate Jackie Robinson the ballplayer from Jackie Robinson the pioneer, it is not always appropriate to do so when evaluating his major league career. To be sure, given the weight on his shoulders in his rookie season of 1947, one cannot take his performance at face value.

Jackie Robinson was a legend as a player, as well as a pioneer - MLB - Cliff Corcoran - SI.com

He's a big hero of mine too. No, this is not sarcasm. He was a self made man, a lifelong Republican, and his testimony against Paul Robeson before the House un-American Activities Committee was a work of brilliance!

He's a big hero of mine too. No, this is not sarcasm. He was a self made man, a lifelong Republican, and his testimony against Paul Robeson before the House un-American Activities Committee was a work of brilliance!
I am aware that he was a Republican, however that was overshadowed by his incredible talent. The man was truly a legend.

This thread is a tribute thread and will be treated as such.

"Off-topic posts may be edited, trashed, deleted, or moved to an appropriate forum as per administrator & moderator discretion at any time within any forum and/or sub forum. Additionally, All violations will be subject to action by an Admin/Mod. Action taken could range from a warning, to Infraction, to banning and will be at Admin/Mod discretion."

I completely understand the reason for this request. In truth however, I can't really think of any black people that I would want to honor in such a fashion. I'm not being racist, just truthful.
Therefore if I have a choice, I'll pass and retain my present avi. If the change is mandatory, then I'll see you all in March.

sojourner-truth-poster-31430.jpg

sojourner-truth-quotes.jpg

Religion without humanity is very poor human stuff.
Sojourner Truth

There is a great stir about colored men getting their rights, but not a word about the colored women; and if colored men get their rights, and not colored women theirs, you see the colored men will be masters over the women, and it will be just as bad as it was before. So I am for keeping the thing going while things are stirring; because if we wait till it is still, it will take a great while to get it going again.
Sojourner Truth, Equal Rights Convention

Sojourner Truth Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com

Sojourner-Truth-9511284-1-402.jpg

It's just a symbolic tribute. Don't take it serious. What are we going to do when April rolls around when it's "confederate history month" and "child abuse month"? How will we celebrate "steel industry month" in June?

Forum List

Back