In Praise of Malcolm X.

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
Having recently re-read "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" for the first time since high school I was wondering.

I am a great admirer of Malcolm X Shabazz and his works for his own community.

What would Brother Malcolm have had to say about BLM?

Early in his tenure as a national minister for Nation of Islam, Brother Malcolm taught that any Black Movement must be segregated, exclusive to Black Persons.

Later, after leaving NOI and two days before he was assassinated, he said,

“It is a time for martyrs now, and if I am to be one, it will be for the cause of brotherhood. That’s the only thing that can save this country.”

Indicating a significant change of mind.

Brother Malcolm did not discourage violence as a response to violence. Neither did he condone undisciplined violence.

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”

and “Concerning nonviolence, it is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks.”

Brother Malcolm was a disciplined man who decried many of the practices that destroyed the poor communities (black and white). Drugs, alcohol, extra-marital sex, were anathema in the teachings of Malcolm X.

It is difficult to say just how effective Malcolm X was in helping bring about advances in Civil Rights in the '60s as Martin Luther King (who took a much different approach to the issue) took much of the national spotlight at that time.

I wonder again, how would Malcolm X feel about BLM and would Brother Malcolm be an effective leader for today's problems as he was for those of the '60s?

Last edited:
Having recently re-read "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" for the first time since high school I was wondering.

Early in his tenure as a national minister for Nation of Islam, Brother Malcolm taught that any Black Movement must be segregated, exclusive to Black Persons.

“It is a time for martyrs now, and if I am to be one, it will be for the cause of brotherhood. That’s the only thing that can save this country.”

Brother Malcolm did not discourage violence as a response to violence. Neither did he condone undisciplined violence.

and “Concerning nonviolence, it is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks.”

Brother Malcolm was a disciplined man who decried many of the practices that destroyed the poor communities (black and white). Drugs, alcohol, extra-marital sex, were anathema in the teachings of Malcolm X.

It is difficult to say just how effective Malcolm X was in helping bring about advances in Civil Rights in the '60s as Martin Luther King (who took a much different approach to the issue) took much of the national spotlight at that time.

I wonder again, how would Malcolm X feel about BLM and would Brother Malcolm be an effective leader for today's problems as he was for those of the '60s?
In terms of defending one's self from police brutality -- he will feel the same way this great man felt about it....

_00-rac008 (213).jpg

In terms of working with other groups who are fighting injustice -- he said he would work with ANY group in ANY way as long as that group is looking to get results.....

Instead of trying to wonder what Malcolm would have felt -- I wonder what most of these so-called conservatives today would think about Malcolm X wanting to bring charges to the United Nations against the US for its treatment of black folks....

" It is difficult to say just how effective Malcolm X was in helping bring about advances in Civil Rights in the '60s as Martin Luther King (who took a much different approach to the issue) took much of the national spotlight at that time. "

Disagree. Without a doubt If Malcolm didnt exist there would have never been any Civil Rights advances. Malcolm X was the "or else" to MLKs non violent methods of obtaining the Civil Rights. Brother X was the truth.

" I wonder again, how would Malcolm X feel about BLM and would Brother Malcolm be an effective leader for today's problems as he was for those of the '60s? "

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been even more effective now than he was then. However, that is a paradox because more Blacks are enlightened now because of what he did back then.

Forum List

Back