"Income Inequality": So What?

you know, cesspit, unlike the people you come in contact with in your daily life, most of us are not masochists. so you can keep your pretend sadist bit to yourself.

i have never needed to pretend to be anything. i am what i am. you have a problem with that, i'd suggest dialing 1-800-pissoff

as for the constitutional power to act for the general welfare being a mission statement., i look forward to seeing your case law authority for that contention.

tell you what... how about you don't post til you find it.

we'll miss you, i'm sure.

Um, she doesn't need to. Didn't you know she is the fountain of all knowledge...

lol.. a legend in her own mind.

however, in Helvering v Davis, justice cardozo, for the US Supreme Court, says she doesn't know what she's talking about.

I figure i'll go with good ole ben cardozo over cesspit.
Umm..,
I read the summary of Helvering v Davis
Helvering v. Davis
This is a case regarding Social Security or as it is referred to in this opinion "Federal Old Age Benefits"
The opinion also speaks to the federal government's taxing authority. It also refers to Old Age Benefits, the precursor to Social Security as a tax.
In one sentence this appears. "Congress may spend money in aid of the "general welfare"..
That's all it says....Please tell me you are not making that great leap to the welfare state of today. If so, you have cited the wrong case.
You libs believe you have some divine right to other people's money.
However, when YOUR money or income is in the cross hairs, suddenly you become capitalists and fiscal conservatives.

In many ways, we are severely handicapped by our technology. How many young people now know how to use a slide rule? How about a compass and a map? And how can anyone imagine the time when we actually had to be home to answer the phone when it rang?

It's called moving with the times...

We were in a Mexican restaurant one time when the lights went out. We were done with our meal. The waitress tried adding our bill up on a calculator. Three times, she got 3 different numbers. I finally took it from her, added the bill up by hand, added in the sales tax from the chart and gave her the money. She said she couldn't let us go, as she didn't know if the sum was correct. The manager had to come and tell her to let us go. I was getting angrier by the second. I have no problems moving with the times but calculators should come AFTER you learn to do it by hand or in your head. You should know how to use the dewy decimal system before using the computer to look up books at the local library and in truth, they should continue to provide a card catalog for when the power is out. Heck, I can look up what I want faster in the card catalog than on the computer.

We are raising uneducated children who have no idea how to work out an easy arithmetical problem without using a calculator. Do you really think they are getting a good education by moving with the times?
Public schools in general are a FAIL...These institutions have gone from educating our kids to "teaching the test".
Critical thinking is a swear word.

We were in a Mexican restaurant one time when the lights went out. We were done with our meal. The waitress tried adding our bill up on a calculator. Three times, she got 3 different numbers. I finally took it from her, added the bill up by hand, added in the sales tax from the chart and gave her the money. She said she couldn't let us go, as she didn't know if the sum was correct. The manager had to come and tell her to let us go. I was getting angrier by the second. I have no problems moving with the times but calculators should come AFTER you learn to do it by hand or in your head. You should know how to use the dewy decimal system before using the computer to look up books at the local library and in truth, they should continue to provide a card catalog for when the power is out. Heck, I can look up what I want faster in the card catalog than on the computer.

We are raising uneducated children who have no idea how to work out an easy arithmetical problem without using a calculator. Do you really think they are getting a good education by moving with the times?
Public schools in general are a FAIL...These institutions have gone from educating our kids to "teaching the test".

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging
the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

The "WE" is the Republican Party of Texas....

God help us all.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging

God help us all.

OMG, sounds like a republican paradise.

Guitar playing inequality...it's so unfair!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH1ybin4ZEU&feature=fvwrel]Guitar battle: Steve Vai & Dweezil Zappa -- Zappa plays Zappa DVD concert. - YouTube[/ame]

The government needs to intervene and give me some of those skills!

Last edited:
In many ways, we are severely handicapped by our technology. How many young people now know how to use a slide rule? How about a compass and a map? And how can anyone imagine the time when we actually had to be home to answer the phone when it rang?

Have you been in any fast food places? They don't have prices, they have pictures on the cash registers. Push the right picture and the correct amount is charged.

God help us all.

OMG, sounds like a republican paradise.

The Texas government is a fully owned subsidiary of the GOP and is owned and operated by them. Still...putting that on paper...having someone proof read it, approving it, having it voted on and passed and made part of your platform....

That takes almost a Jonestown type of devotion.

Public schools are a failure. They are more of a failure because the students are adamantly unwilling to be taught and are supported in their determination by apathetic parents and an administration hostile to learning.

Archived-Articles: Why Shakir Can't Read

A large part of the problem is that Shakir refuses to do his bit to educate himself. Given classwork in school, Shakir engages in a series of acts of avoidance. He will disrupt, pick fights with his classmates, curse, destroy objects in his environment, sleep, declare that he will do nothing, or take the entire day simply to write his name. No amount of cajoling, promises, or behavioral modification methods can change Shakir's mind. For him to work for a little bit, there must be some immediate object or event that he finds desirable to attain or participate in. Even then, when the gain is weighed against the effort required to work, Shakir may well determine that the work is not worth doing to obtain the prospective reward.

His mother is either a high school dropout or limped her way to graduation with a poor academic record herself. She does not check his book-bag, makes no effort to ensure that he does his homework, nor does she provide any assistance with his reading.

What she will do, when school authorities call her to complain about her son's behavior, is come to the school ready to curse and fight his teachers. No matter how badly Shakir acts in school, his mother will, in front of him, blame his teachers. Often, she will add to the lack of stability in the boy's life by changing his school because she thinks his teachers are out to get him. Thus, Shakir has been to several schools in his district and has even gone to schools in a neighboring state. Nevertheless, Shakir still can't read.

In the school system, Shakir, whatever enthusiasm he might have started out his school career with, by the age of ten has none. He has spent the years since kindergarten fighting, cursing, and distracting away from his reading problems. Each teacher he has encountered has made an active effort to help him. Each has been beaten by the combination of forces outside of the school system and by the child himself. Tired of his behavior, of his resistance and refusal, even when he is held back, his teachers have passed him on to the next grade where he is ill-prepared to do that grade's work because he never mastered the content matter of the previous grades.

All across America, schools are confronted with Shakirs who either do not show up for school or who attend school but hang out in the hallways, bathrooms, and other hideaways. Even in well disciplined schools, there are Shakirs who go to class and put their heads on the desk. They refuse to work; the same way, their parents refuse to attend parent-teacher meetings. They sleep, they disrupt, curse, fight, and do no work. Many of those who do work, do it indifferently; they go through the motions expecting to achieve high marks for minimal effort. Moreover, even when these Shakirs have done no work at all, they expect to graduate.

Yes and no. There are things I miss in the past. I remember about five years after I left school they allowed calculators in exams - I was a little annoyed. But sometimes I think that people don't like change because they look at the end game - ie - "well, what if we don't have calculators, or the computer system fails", to which I say, it'll get fixed and we'll always have calculators. Now, if society breaks down to such an extent that we no longer have calculators or computers, I'd suggest learning maths etc is the least of our problems. In saying that, my kids down here have to use the long methods - no calculators allowed at least until high school...

Said by someone who wasn't held hostage in a restaurant just because their lights went out.

BTW, there was a time we were stuck at the airport for 2 hours because their computers went down, didn't matter that everyone was there and had already checked in, they couldn't let us leave until their computers game back up, oh, and nothing was wrong with that airplane, or the crew.

categorically, YES.
I believe everyone has goodness in their heart.
And even if there is a profit motive as a side benefit, so what?
Why does profit bother you?
Look, these kids get free computers. The company gets to pay their people to make more of the machines. The company gets to sell more. Everybody wins!
Gosh, you must be bitter.

Nope, just a parent that objects to schools spending educational dollars on computers for each child in the school when a computer lab makes more cents <yes, I spelled it that way on purpose>. Not everybody wins...the taxpayer loses...plus the child becomes dependent on the computer for everything..also not a good thing. The only true winner is Bill Gates and his company, remember, computer pusher....

I really feel for this generation when the computers go down...

On that narrow point I agree. However, Microsoft is DONATING the computers.
Now, how does a DONATION cost anyone anything?
Look, whether you like it or not, computer literacy is imperative if young people looking to get a career started want to even get a fleeting look from an HR manager.
Even on manufacturing environments computer literacy is a basic requirement. Without it, the applicant DOES NOT even get an interview. Period.
Along with computer literacy, people should possess deductive reasoning skills, the ability to think on their feet and the ability to improvise overcome and adapt.

We are talking elementary schools here. And kids and school districts becoming so dependent on EVERYONE having a computer at ALL times that they are like computer zombies. All of those computers end up getting replaced every few years and the districts themselves, the taxpayers pay for that. There is no sense in every student having a computer at all times, none whatsoever. A computer lab makes sense, I'm not denying that computers are crucial to education, I'm saying that Gates is giving them for free for each student, the kids and the schools get hooked on them, and then the taxpayer YOU and ME foots the bill.

Nope, just a parent that objects to schools spending educational dollars on computers for each child in the school when a computer lab makes more cents <yes, I spelled it that way on purpose>. Not everybody wins...the taxpayer loses...plus the child becomes dependent on the computer for everything..also not a good thing. The only true winner is Bill Gates and his company, remember, computer pusher....

I really feel for this generation when the computers go down...

Look, whether you like it or not, computer literacy is imperative if young people looking to get a career started want to even get a fleeting look from an HR manager.
Even on manufacturing environments computer literacy is a basic requirement. Without it, the applicant DOES NOT even get an interview. Period.
Along with computer literacy, people should possess deductive reasoning skills, the ability to think on their feet and the ability to improvise overcome and adapt.

We are talking elementary schools here. And kids and school districts becoming so dependent on EVERYONE having a computer at ALL times that they are like computer zombies. All of those computers end up getting replaced every few years and the districts themselves, the taxpayers pay for that. There is no sense in every student having a computer at all times, none whatsoever. A computer lab makes sense, I'm not denying that computers are crucial to education, I'm saying that Gates is giving them for free for each student, the kids and the schools get hooked on them, and then the taxpayer YOU and ME foots the bill.

that isn't correct. students are given their assignments via computer; their grades via computer; and have to post their homeworks via computer.

so i'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Yes and no. There are things I miss in the past. I remember about five years after I left school they allowed calculators in exams - I was a little annoyed. But sometimes I think that people don't like change because they look at the end game - ie - "well, what if we don't have calculators, or the computer system fails", to which I say, it'll get fixed and we'll always have calculators. Now, if society breaks down to such an extent that we no longer have calculators or computers, I'd suggest learning maths etc is the least of our problems. In saying that, my kids down here have to use the long methods - no calculators allowed at least until high school...

Said by someone who wasn't held hostage in a restaurant just because their lights went out.

BTW, there was a time we were stuck at the airport for 2 hours because their computers went down, didn't matter that everyone was there and had already checked in, they couldn't let us leave until their computers game back up, oh, and nothing was wrong with that airplane, or the crew.

how about air traffic control? :rolleyes:?

Oh, there are pros and cons with everything. Thing is, the pros of technology far outweigh the cons....

Public schools are a failure. They are more of a failure because the students are adamantly unwilling to be taught and are supported in their determination by apathetic parents and an administration hostile to learning.

Archived-Articles: Why Shakir Can't Read

A large part of the problem is that Shakir refuses to do his bit to educate himself. Given classwork in school, Shakir engages in a series of acts of avoidance. He will disrupt, pick fights with his classmates, curse, destroy objects in his environment, sleep, declare that he will do nothing, or take the entire day simply to write his name. No amount of cajoling, promises, or behavioral modification methods can change Shakir's mind. For him to work for a little bit, there must be some immediate object or event that he finds desirable to attain or participate in. Even then, when the gain is weighed against the effort required to work, Shakir may well determine that the work is not worth doing to obtain the prospective reward.

His mother is either a high school dropout or limped her way to graduation with a poor academic record herself. She does not check his book-bag, makes no effort to ensure that he does his homework, nor does she provide any assistance with his reading.

What she will do, when school authorities call her to complain about her son's behavior, is come to the school ready to curse and fight his teachers. No matter how badly Shakir acts in school, his mother will, in front of him, blame his teachers. Often, she will add to the lack of stability in the boy's life by changing his school because she thinks his teachers are out to get him. Thus, Shakir has been to several schools in his district and has even gone to schools in a neighboring state. Nevertheless, Shakir still can't read.

In the school system, Shakir, whatever enthusiasm he might have started out his school career with, by the age of ten has none. He has spent the years since kindergarten fighting, cursing, and distracting away from his reading problems. Each teacher he has encountered has made an active effort to help him. Each has been beaten by the combination of forces outside of the school system and by the child himself. Tired of his behavior, of his resistance and refusal, even when he is held back, his teachers have passed him on to the next grade where he is ill-prepared to do that grade's work because he never mastered the content matter of the previous grades.

All across America, schools are confronted with Shakirs who either do not show up for school or who attend school but hang out in the hallways, bathrooms, and other hideaways. Even in well disciplined schools, there are Shakirs who go to class and put their heads on the desk. They refuse to work; the same way, their parents refuse to attend parent-teacher meetings. They sleep, they disrupt, curse, fight, and do no work. Many of those who do work, do it indifferently; they go through the motions expecting to achieve high marks for minimal effort. Moreover, even when these Shakirs have done no work at all, they expect to graduate.

Having re the article from the loon site, it's hard not to think that Shakir's problems are at home and have nothing to do with public schooling. What, nobody is graduating from high school these days? Is that what biased, opinionated piece is trying to say?

that isn't correct. students are given their assignments via computer; their grades via computer; and have to post their homeworks via computer.

so i'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

In grade school?

You don't have to have a tech meltdown to ground air traffic. Have you ever tried going somewhere by air when a volcano is erupting?

Oh, there are pros and cons with everything. Thing is, the pros of technology far outweigh the cons....

Until the batteries go dead.

You don't have to have a tech meltdown to ground air traffic. Have you ever tried going somewhere by air when a volcano is erupting?

Air traffic controls computers were working fine, our airlines were the only planes grounded.

Forum List

Back