"Income Inequality": So What?

Yes and no. There are things I miss in the past. I remember about five years after I left school they allowed calculators in exams - I was a little annoyed. But sometimes I think that people don't like change because they look at the end game - ie - "well, what if we don't have calculators, or the computer system fails", to which I say, it'll get fixed and we'll always have calculators. Now, if society breaks down to such an extent that we no longer have calculators or computers, I'd suggest learning maths etc is the least of our problems. In saying that, my kids down here have to use the long methods - no calculators allowed at least until high school...

Said by someone who wasn't held hostage in a restaurant just because their lights went out.

BTW, there was a time we were stuck at the airport for 2 hours because their computers went down, didn't matter that everyone was there and had already checked in, they couldn't let us leave until their computers game back up, oh, and nothing was wrong with that airplane, or the crew.

Oh, there are pros and cons with everything. Thing is, the pros of technology far outweigh the cons....

Considering the biggest con is that a few EMPs will knock us back to the stoneage, I'd say learning the other way FIRST should be the goal of EVERYONE.

Said by someone who wasn't held hostage in a restaurant just because their lights went out.

BTW, there was a time we were stuck at the airport for 2 hours because their computers went down, didn't matter that everyone was there and had already checked in, they couldn't let us leave until their computers game back up, oh, and nothing was wrong with that airplane, or the crew.

Oh, there are pros and cons with everything. Thing is, the pros of technology far outweigh the cons....

Until the batteries go dead.

True...

Considering the biggest con is that a few EMPs will knock us back to the stoneage, I'd say learning the other way FIRST should be the goal of EVERYONE.

You have a fair point, but technology is what it is.....I'm old enough to remember my mother holding out for us getting a coloured tv because she didn't think it necessary. And it isn't. In fact cars, planes, trains, tv, stereos, phones - none of them are necessary to our survival.

You have a fair point, but technology is what it is.....I'm old enough to remember my mother holding out for us getting a coloured tv because she didn't think it necessary. And it isn't. In fact cars, planes, trains, tv, stereos, phones - none of them are necessary to our survival.

We were the last in our neighborhood to get a color tv. I'm not arguing about the importance of computers here, I'm arguing about the importance of having one for each child in an elementary school...quite frankly, it's not cost effective.

We were in a Mexican restaurant one time when the lights went out. We were done with our meal. The waitress tried adding our bill up on a calculator. Three times, she got 3 different numbers. I finally took it from her, added the bill up by hand, added in the sales tax from the chart and gave her the money. She said she couldn't let us go, as she didn't know if the sum was correct. The manager had to come and tell her to let us go. I was getting angrier by the second. I have no problems moving with the times but calculators should come AFTER you learn to do it by hand or in your head. You should know how to use the dewy decimal system before using the computer to look up books at the local library and in truth, they should continue to provide a card catalog for when the power is out. Heck, I can look up what I want faster in the card catalog than on the computer.

We are raising uneducated children who have no idea how to work out an easy arithmetical problem without using a calculator. Do you really think they are getting a good education by moving with the times?
Public schools in general are a FAIL...These institutions have gone from educating our kids to "teaching the test".
Critical thinking is a swear word.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values
clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based
Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging
the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

The "WE" is the Republican Party of Texas....

God help us all.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf
From your same ink...
"Basic Standards – We favor improving the quality of education for all students, including those with special needs. We support a return to the traditional basics of reading, writing, arithmetic, and citizenship with sufficient discipline to ensure learning and quality educational assessment."

Cut the bullshit deflection tactics.

We were the last in our neighborhood to get a color tv. I'm not arguing about the importance of computers here, I'm arguing about the importance of having one for each child in an elementary school...quite frankly, it's not cost effective.
When the taxpayers are forced to fund such things, absolutely.
Here's the problem. Most parents can afford to buy their kid a lap top or tablet. They are not that much money. However, school boards and administrators worry about those that cannot afford. So they petition the school board or other taxing authority which funds the schools for purchase for all students. After all, it's "not fair" that everyone cannot afford a computer.

Here's the problem. Most parents can afford to buy their kid a lap top or tablet. They are not that much money. However, school boards and administrators worry about those that cannot afford. So they petition the school board or other taxing authority which funds the schools for purchase for all students. After all, it's "not fair" that everyone cannot afford a computer.

A computer lab would solve that problem.

A computer lab would solve that problem.

That's how we handle the computer issue at the university, paid for in part by tuition and lab fees.

On that narrow point I agree. However, Microsoft is DONATING the computers.
Now, how does a DONATION cost anyone anything?
Look, whether you like it or not, computer literacy is imperative if young people looking to get a career started want to even get a fleeting look from an HR manager.
Even on manufacturing environments computer literacy is a basic requirement. Without it, the applicant DOES NOT even get an interview. Period.
Along with computer literacy, people should possess deductive reasoning skills, the ability to think on their feet and the ability to improvise overcome and adapt.

We are talking elementary schools here. And kids and school districts becoming so dependent on EVERYONE having a computer at ALL times that they are like computer zombies. All of those computers end up getting replaced every few years and the districts themselves, the taxpayers pay for that. There is no sense in every student having a computer at all times, none whatsoever. A computer lab makes sense, I'm not denying that computers are crucial to education, I'm saying that Gates is giving them for free for each student, the kids and the schools get hooked on them, and then the taxpayer YOU and ME foots the bill.

that isn't correct. students are given their assignments via computer; their grades via computer; and have to post their homeworks via computer.

so i'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

That simply isn't true. It might be in some places, but not over all. My son graduated high school in 2011 and is entering his sophomore year in college in about a month. I could follow his progress and grades online during his public school years, but he never got assignments or grades via computer and had to turn his homework in on paper. Now college, that's a different story.

how about air traffic control? :rolleyes:?

You don't have to have a tech meltdown to ground air traffic. Have you ever tried going somewhere by air when a volcano is erupting?

Air traffic controls computers were working fine, our airlines were the only planes grounded.

Actually there are two examples...
One is the computer malfunction in the CHicago Air Traffic Center( ATC).
The system failed which disrupted the entire US ATC system. The reasons were the fact that O'Haire is one f the busiest airports in the US AND the Chicago ATC handles most of the air traffic cross country north of 38* north latitude.
ANother is the US Airways baggage handling computer meltdown. Now that one I can tell you because I flew from New York to CHarlotte, NC and my bags ended up in Pittsburgh.
I went into the claims office and there were at least 150 people in there searching for their luggage. There must have been 1,000 pieces.
This young couple flying from St. Louis through Charlotte bound for Aruba had no luggage. The airline told them it would be two or three days before their luggage got to them. No compensation AND because of federal rules, international flights are NOT held for connecting domestic passengers. They had to fly with the clothes on their backs.

You don't have to have a tech meltdown to ground air traffic. Have you ever tried going somewhere by air when a volcano is erupting?

Air traffic controls computers were working fine, our airlines were the only planes grounded.

Actually there are two examples...
One is the computer malfunction in the CHicago Air Traffic Center( ATC).
The system failed which disrupted the entire US ATC system. The reasons were the fact that O'Haire is one f the busiest airports in the US AND the Chicago ATC handles most of the air traffic cross country north of 38* north latitude.
ANother is the US Airways baggage handling computer meltdown. Now that one I can tell you because I flew from New York to CHarlotte, NC and my bags ended up in Pittsburgh.
I went into the claims office and there were at least 150 people in there searching for their luggage. There must have been 1,000 pieces.
This young couple flying from St. Louis through Charlotte bound for Aruba had no luggage. The airline told them it would be two or three days before their luggage got to them. No compensation AND because of federal rules, international flights are NOT held for connecting domestic passengers. They had to fly with the clothes on their backs.

I think the point is, we've become too dependent on computers....

I may check a bag, but I always bring one onboard with me with clothes and everything I need for a few days. I've had my luggage lost too. When I worked for United Airlines <before my job was shipped overseas> and passengers would ask me if they could check certain things, the first thing I would ask them is "Can you live without it?" There is never any guarantee that luggage will end up where you do. NEVER, and with computers and TSA we have more lost luggage and lost items than we did before such things.

Had a guy ask me if he could check his antique sword once. I told him he could but there was no guarantee it would be there when he got there. He then asked what he should too, I advised him to ship it and insure it. Then I pointed out that the Hope Diamond got from New York to Washington DC via the postal service.

A lot of people don't give the postal service the credit they deserve.

If an American citizen is outraged about the phenomenon of "income inequality," then that citizen should do everything in her power to communicate to those at the bottom to (1) stop the self-destructive life choices (having illegitimate children, alcohol and drug abuse, welfare dependency, dropping out of school), (2) take advantage of free public education and other means of improving oneself, and (3) follow the example of many generations of immigrants who started with nothing and achieved success by hard work.

I lack sympathy for people who were truant and discipline problems in school, and who have illegitimate children whom they raise on welfare.

Nevertheless, some of the hardest working people in the United States are also desperately poor. Our economy is simply not generating good jobs for people of average or below average intelligence.

To the Libs reading this I ask: First, why is "income inequality" a problem? Second, What would you suggest as a solution? Third, What gives Government the power or the right to effect this solution? (Please refer to the United States Constitution)

First, I think the degree of economic inequality in the United States is a problem because I perceive of little moral significance in the distribution of wealth and income.

Second, I would like to reduce economic inequality using the means that seem to work in Scandinavia. These include steeply progressive taxation, high minimum wage laws, strong labor unions, and a well financed public sector of the economy.

Third, the following passages in the United States Constitution authorize what I recommend in the previous paragraph:

The Constitution of the United States

Preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America...

Article I, Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States...

Amendment 16: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

To the Libs reading this I ask: First, why is "income inequality" a problem? Second, What would you suggest as a solution? Third, What gives Government the power or the right to effect this solution? (Please refer to the United States Constitution)

First, I think the degree of economic inequality in the United States is a problem because I perceive of little moral significance in the distribution of wealth and income.

Second, I would like to reduce economic inequality using the means that seem to work in Scandinavia. These include steeply progressive taxation, high minimum wage laws, strong labor unions, and a well financed public sector of the economy.

Third, the following passages in the United States Constitution authorize what I recommend in the previous paragraph:

The Constitution of the United States

Preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America...

Article I, Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States...

Amendment 16: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

I think you would do better paying for your own Cell Phone, Cable, Subway ride, and Insurance, rather than contribute and encourage further misuse and corruption. Living within ones own means should extend to Government. Sorry to disagree, but when the Power is in your own pocket, wallet, or purse, you are more prudent with how you decide to spend it, compared to an out of control Government, void of Conscience.

The term general welfare pertains to the welfare of the nation, not that people get a check every month. A practice, which if continued, would impoverish the nation.

I went to the LA Art Walk where they were protesting inequality of talent. It opens up a whole new dimension of inequality.

I went to the LA Art Walk where they were protesting inequality of talent. It opens up a whole new dimension of inequality.

Like Government has authority of Providence, Talent, skill. It is pathetic. Government confusing it's role with God.

The United States has always had programs helping its poor, its disabled and so on.
The United States has always had programs helping industry, businesses and so on.
The United States has always had programs helping all its citizens.
At time the United States has had programs helping foreign nations.

I suspect we have always resented these programs that helped others.

how does that work?

"You have to like my art over his because, even though his is much better I might cry and you're not allowed to hurt my feelings"? Is that how it works.

Jackson Pollock my arse...my 10 year old could paint better than him..

The United States has always had programs helping its poor, its disabled and so on.
The United States has always had programs helping industry, businesses and so on.
The United States has always had programs helping all its citizens.
At time the United States has had programs helping foreign nations.

I suspect we have always resented these programs that helped others.

why would anyone resent helping others?

Forum List

Back