Individual mandate in trouble?

While we're at it. maybe we should force carpenters and farmers to forgo their profit motives as well? What else do you think citizens should get free from the government? Cable? Internet? IPods? Condoms?

Dumb argument.

Yeah, it is. But, the government could very well force you to do it.
They would have the authority.

While free cable, internet and IPods is pretty ridiculous, food and shelter are at least as essential as health care. If we can remove the profit motive from health care, why not housing and food?
If it goes that far, who's to say it won't be Apple that is forced to go non profit?

It was passed in the manner outlined in the constitution. Therefore, it is the will of the people.

That is quite possibly the dumbest comment I have ever seen on this board.

If 99.999% of the voters signed a petition against a particular bill in Congress, but Congress passed it and the President signed it, THAT is still the 'will of the people', even though 99.999% of 'the people' were against it?

You are a fucking loon.

Who voted for the Congress and the President? The people's will was displayed in the voting booth.

Dumb argument.

Yeah, it is. But, the government could very well force you to do it.
They would have the authority.

While free cable, internet and IPods is pretty ridiculous, food and shelter are at least as essential as health care. If we can remove the profit motive from health care, why not housing and food?
If it goes that far, who's to say it won't be Apple that is forced to go non profit?

Do the math.

"I'm sorry -- you should try to respond to what I said, not what you want to respond to.
I asked you who you are why are are special, so much so that you should have access to health care.
How are you so entitled?
Please do try to answer the question. "

Explain why I should NOT be able to get health care. What you are saying is you are for only certain people getting health care correct? So you are for discrimination correct?
AND, please, yes do try to answer the question.

It was passed in the manner outlined in the constitution. Therefore, it is the will of the people.

If 99.999% of the voters signed a petition against a particular bill in Congress, but Congress passed it and the President signed it, THAT is still the 'will of the people', even though 99.999% of 'the people' were against it?

You are a fucking loon.

Who voted for the Congress and the President? The people's will was displayed in the voting booth.

But yet BOTH ignored the will of the people when thier e-mail system and faxes were slammed and not to mention the meltdown of the CapitolHill Switchboards.

Spare us this shit Salt-Peter.

They knew the resistence was strong...but back room deals happened anyway.

And that resistence is stronger NOW against Obama Care

HOW do you square that? :eusa_hand:

"Indeed. it's an attack on the private sector. On individuals."

Insurance companies charging me exhorbitant prices is an attack on me. But I should have access to affrodable health care. Without insurance I dont. They should have to cover everything I need if I am paying their ridiculous premiums.

This is America where you don't have to do anything for anybody at anytime; ever. It says so in our 200+ year old constitution.

God Bless.

I detect a little sarcasm there........... :uhoh3:

he he he....

You guessed it. Frustration as well

Look, lets say someone is 45 years old and they are still living under a plan they wrote when they were 20. And they are in sad shape financially, structurally, intellectually, and cannot even begin to formulate a response to rectify any of it. I would guess that you would think that person needs to alter the plan somewhat.

Thats where we are at in this country. Bound to this flawed document written by flawed people with what can only be called an insane allegiance to these writings that took place prior to the invention of the light bulb. If you're watching this from Mars, you're not believing what you're seeing.

Probably celebrate a little. That would hasten the march toward single payer.

Republicans and the insurance lobby will have the most difficulty if the mandate is declared unconstitutional.

BTW.........the court is not acting within the limits placed on it by the USC if the rule on it either way. That ought to bother you nutters but it doesn't. Wonder why?

I assume "USC" refers to the United States Constitution. What limits does that place on the Supreme Court that would interfere with it ruling "one way or the other?"

You are a fucking loon.

But yet BOTH ignored the will of the people when thier e-mail system and faxes were slammed and not to mention the meltdown of the CapitolHill Switchboards.

Your will is at the voting booth. Once elected they are under no obligation to vote the way their voters want them to. They can vote anyway they want for 2 or 6 years, if the people they represent disagree then they can vote them out. Show me in the constitution where it says they have to vote the will of the people?

They could argue that. I think they'd be freaking stupid to since the people overwhelmingly opposed it to begin with. But hey, if they want to guarantee a GOP victory this year then please feel free.

I don't see the overwhelming dissent out there. Working in healthcare, I hardly see any dissent at all at the program itself.

I'll tell you what I hear from our administrators who are dealing with the situation--these are your classic middle aged men and women--Pool and Patio types; they love it; they love that the government made a law that moves the needle one way or the other because the alternative for our hospital system is that the number of occupied beds is decreasing most months. Fewer patients means fewer dollars to put it bluntly. As defacto traffic manager for the system, I see the numbers. Our census is way down over the last five years. Meanwhile the public sector hospitals are skyrocketing; this is what you and I are paying for.

So if the poor who are apparently going to be served by it are for it, and at least one sector of the extremely affluent are on board, if the socially conscious liberals and moderates are for it, if the ideological left is for it, I don't think there are "overwhelmingly" large numbers that would be against it.

Thanks for your input.

Really?

According to a recent USA Today/Gallup poll, if the decision about whether this central feature of the law should stay or go was up to the American public, the mandate would surely be overturned. The February poll, which sampled more than 1,000 American adults over the age of 18, found that 72% of Americans believe the mandate to be unconstitutional.
Poll: Americans Oppose Healthcare Mandate « Health Insurance Navigator

I'm one of them who believe it is unconstitutional.. Difference between oppose and thinking it is unconstitutional.

Your right to privacy is non-existent; constitutionally speaking.

I think your right to privacy is a good thing. Are you against your right to privacy?

Republicans and the insurance lobby will have the most difficulty if the mandate is declared unconstitutional.

BTW.........the court is not acting within the limits placed on it by the USC if the rule on it either way. That ought to bother you nutters but it doesn't. Wonder why?

I assume "USC" refers to the United States Constitution. What limits does that place on the Supreme Court that would interfere with it ruling "one way or the other?"

Read on. You'll get to it. We can only hope that something shiny distracts you before you can respond.

Your will is at the voting booth. Once elected they are under no obligation to vote the way their voters want them to. They can vote anyway they want for 2 or 6 years, if the people they represent disagree then they can vote them out. Show me in the constitution where it says they have to vote the will of the people?

Just because a REP or Senator is voted in doesn't mean they can or should completely IGNORE those that voted for them, or for that matter those whom didn't...But it's PARTY AGENDA over country against the people for shitheads as YOU, isn't it?

YOU know ZILCH of what representitive Government really means.

:eusa_hand:

Last edited:

You are a fucking loon.

you really are a fucking loon. If Obama loses in November, and you leave the board forever as per our wager, will that suddenly not be the will of the people?

Yes. Do you think you have trapped me or something? The law was passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States. They shouldn't even be hearing the case.

Every law the Supreme Court has overturned was "passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States." If you think that automatically makes a law constitutional, you're an idiot.

But we already knew that.

Read on. You'll get to it. We can only hope that something shiny distracts you before you can respond.
I'd like an asnwer to that question, pleasw.
What limits -does- the Constitution place on the Supreme Court that would interfere with it ruling "one way or the other"?

Why isn't the Occupy crowd up in arms about being forced to buy a product from a corporation?

Because the idea that Occupy hates everything to do with corporations was always a right-wing talking point with no connection to reality.

Agreed. "You're on your own". But how about a few specifics?

What is a person with pre-existing conditions supposed to do when he is declined by an insurance company? Even if he can afford the policy?

What is a person supposed to do if they can't afford $800 a month for a family policy?

What about their kids?

Should a person be turned away from the emergency room if they don't have insurance?

And on what date would you suggest ending Medicare and Medicaid health coverage? Because if you're consistent, you'll want government out of those, too.

Details, please.

Tea-Party-Medicare-sign.jpg

I'll be interested to see the results. I think you should start a separate thread asking just the emboldened text above.

I guess the answer is that the framers of our 200+ year old business plan didn't want you to have medicare so it should be done away with too; like social security, like the space program, like the EPA, like OSHA, etc...

Yup. And let your thoughts race for a moment. Imagine what would happen to current Medicare and Medicaid recipients if these folks had their way. What would happen to them?

But those who want this would cheer, because their "freedom" would be enhanced. So I guess there's a big fat silver lining.

You notice there are no takers....

Wonder why?

I made it stand out more. I'd like to hear what others have to say because, you're right. if this is found to be unconstitutional, you'll have to find all of the other things unconstitutional too or at least acknowledge that they are and grin and bear it.

Yes. Do you think you have trapped me or something? The law was passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States. They shouldn't even be hearing the case.

Every law the Supreme Court has overturned was "passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States." If you think that automatically makes a law constitutional, you're an idiot.

But we already knew that.
"The will of the people" does not trump the Constitution.
That will can CHANGE the constitution, but cannot violate it.

Really? The stupidest reasoning you've ever heard in your life? Whoa!

Is the federal court system for overturning the will of the people?

Yes, that's exactly what it's for.

You are the biggest fucking moron in this forum.

Forum List

Back