Indoor plants

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I have seen some really great photos of indoor plants with vines all over. I kind of want to do that. I also have to bring in some tropical plants that I currently have outside. I just don't want any gnats. From what I have gathered, the gnats are due to over watering the plants.

When I started growing plants this year, I bought a real cheap soil moisture meter. I used it a few times but it didn't seem to work. Now I am considering some self watering pots and maybe a different type of meter. Can you recommend any or how have you dealt with this problem?

If you're keen to do a little bit of soldering and programming ... you can build a nice little device, I use for keeping my strawberry pots watered.

I programmed mine to send the soil temp, moisture, and water usage data to a server and display it to my home automation system using Influxdb and Grafana.

Where at ? A/C or none ? Fake heat or none ?
Tropicals need foliar water to thrive. It's a pain. Gotta take them out and shower them if fake is fact

I have seen some really great photos of indoor plants with vines all over. I kind of want to do that. I also have to bring in some tropical plants that I currently have outside. I just don't want any gnats. From what I have gathered, the gnats are due to over watering the plants.

When I started growing plants this year, I bought a real cheap soil moisture meter. I used it a few times but it didn't seem to work. Now I am considering some self watering pots and maybe a different type of meter. Can you recommend any or how have you dealt with this problem?

You can try to wash all the existing soil off your plants, give them a spray with an insecticidal soap and then repot them into new dirt when you bring them in. Miracle grow makes an indoor potting mix that is decent at keeping gnats down. Says so right on the bag, but it is kind of pricy. I get it at home depot. It is in a greyish color bag.

If you're keen to do a little bit of soldering and programming ... you can build a nice little device, I use for keeping my strawberry pots watered.

I programmed mine to send the soil temp, moisture, and water usage data to a server and display it to my home automation system using Influxdb and Grafana.
:aargh::slap:

It's not even 7:30 am and that right there is nervous breakdown territory. I can't do that.

Where at ? A/C or none ? Fake heat or none ?
Tropicals need foliar water to thrive. It's a pain. Gotta take them out and shower them if fake is fact
I have AC now. I have both fake heat and AC. I should just be able to spray the leaves with water?

You can try to wash all the existing soil off your plants, give them a spray with an insecticidal soap and then repot them into new dirt when you bring them in. Miracle grow makes an indoor potting mix that is decent at keeping gnats down. Says so right on the bag, but it is kind of pricy. I get it at home depot. It is in a greyish color bag.
Thanks!

They make these little yellow sticky tape things for gnats that work well. I do as suggested by repotting plants before bringing them inside.

Get yourself some easy maintenance plants that thrive with abuse and neglect. Like pothos, spider plant, holiday cactus, etc. Only water them maybe once a month or even less, but water them deeply when you do, then leave them alone till they are dried out. They also don't need alot of light either.

I put my houseplants outside during the summer in a shaded area and leave them till fall. Just make sure there is no frost.

I have AC now. I have both fake heat and AC. I should just be able to spray the leaves with water?
Yes. But often. A good drowning once a week works wonders. Now that the rainy season has begun here, afternoon to morning everything looks different(Costa Rica)

Get yourself some easy maintenance plants that thrive with abuse and neglect. Like pothos, spider plant, holiday cactus, etc. Only water them maybe once a month or even less, but water them deeply when you do, then leave them alone till they are dried out. They also don't need alot of light either.

I put my houseplants outside during the summer in a shaded area and leave them till fall. Just make sure there is no frost.
I have been looking at that. I follow a couple of people that either have indoor gardens or are have Feng Shui plants in the house. I am getting some of those. But some of these houses have vines hanging from the walls with all of these other plants. It's cool. These ones I will take back out on the porch next year.

Sweet potatoes make nice indoor vines, I have some planted in the bedroom. My friend has them growing across her kitchen.
Also, you can use the slips to plant in the spring.
I got mine from grocery in the organic produce section. Try to get organic so they aren't trat3ed with chemicals to stop them from sprouting.

Sweet potatoes make nice indoor vines, I have some planted in the bedroom. My friend has them growing across her kitchen.
Also, you can use the slips to plant in the spring.
I got mine from grocery in the organic produce section. Try to get organic so they aren't trat3ed with chemicals to stop them from sprouting.
Thanks! What are slips?

Hi there! It's great to hear that you're interested in growing indoor plants with vines, and I can definitely understand your concern about gnats. You're right that overwatering can lead to a gnat infestation.

As for soil moisture meters, there are many different types available, and some work better than others. Personally, I've had good results with digital meters that give a numerical reading.

As for self-watering pots, they can be a great option if you're worried about over or under watering. Just be sure to choose a pot that's the right size for your plant and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Good luck with your indoor gardening!

Hi there! It's great to hear that you're interested in growing indoor plants with vines, and I can definitely understand your concern about gnats. You're right that overwatering can lead to a gnat infestation.

As for soil moisture meters, there are many different types available, and some work better than others. Personally, I've had good results with digital meters that give a numerical reading.

As for self-watering pots, they can be a great option if you're worried about over or under watering. Just be sure to choose a pot that's the right size for your plant and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Good luck with your indoor gardening!

I've had indoor gardens for years until we moved into a smaller house. But I've always been an expert eater.

Forum List

Back