Info on How to Start a Construction Contractor Business

This is like asking legal advice on a forum. You'll get lots of opinion but only a lawyer that knows the specific law can help. If there is a licensing body in your state that's who you need to contact.

I personally don't think your idea makes good sense. It's going to be a LOT of labor to make a container desirable to live in. Cutting metal and installing doors and windows alone is going to be a hefty expense with high skilled labor. Then the walls, insulation, plumbing, electrical. Plumbing and electrical would need to be licensed work here and they don't work cheap in wood framed homes. All installation is going to be exponentially more involved with heavy gauge steel. IF you could find anyone willing to do it.

Everything will need to pass federal, state and local codes and in the final analysis you are just building a better mouse trap and people worried about it are buying tried and true stick homes.

who is doing the financing ....are you on a mission or trying to make money off poor people?

I wouldn't call it trying to make money off poor people... poor people here already buy cheap made trailers that are actually pretty dangerous in bad weather and don't hold up very well to the extremely climates here in Kentucky. These shipping containers are very sturdy and if the outside is maintained well, will last a very long time.

Like I said in the OP, I'd like to do this with as little up front money as possible, where most of the large costs, ie the construction and labor is made up front with deposits from customers. So financing would be mostly out of pocket for licenses, setting up the LLC, advertising, and things like that. The way my apartment is set up, downtown and with the second bedroom right next to the front door and away from the rest of the apartment, I could use it as an office. That might sound odd, but you would have to see my apartment to understand. It would work just fine.

If you haven't written a formal business plan, maybe take the time to do that. It will help start to coalesce and structure your ideas, work through issues etc.

Seems trivial, but it does actually help, and if you need to go apply for funding you'll need a solid one.

are u doing all the work yourself or using subs?

No, I just want to do the sales and then hire subcontractors to do all the work. I want to make the money off selling the idea to people around here, and how they are much sturdier and safer than the conventional trailers.

In that case, nail down the design and business model and maybe you can sell franchises.
That's probably the best idea. Make it look snazzy, glitzy web design, enticing money making opportunity. Get as many deposits on franchise licenses you can before litigation gets out of control and leave the country.

well you never said about financing which is why people buy trailors they can get financing...nor did you say how much it would cost to get the containers transported to ky from fl

and involving subs is basically shooting yourself in the foot....and i say that as the wife of a sub

This is like asking legal advice on a forum. You'll get lots of opinion but only a lawyer that knows the specific law can help. If there is a licensing body in your state that's who you need to contact.

I personally don't think your idea makes good sense. It's going to be a LOT of labor to make a container desirable to live in. Cutting metal and installing doors and windows alone is going to be a hefty expense with high skilled labor. Then the walls, insulation, plumbing, electrical. Plumbing and electrical would need to be licensed work here and they don't work cheap in wood framed homes. All installation is going to be exponentially more involved with heavy gauge steel. IF you could find anyone willing to do it.

Everything will need to pass federal, state and local codes and in the final analysis you are just building a better mouse trap and people worried about it are buying tried and true stick homes.

These buildings are becoming very popular... and aren't anywhere near as expensive as you are making it out to be. Plus you have to remember they are only 40 foot long, we aren't talking about a huge house to do all this work.

plus you need to meet with your building inspectors with a long list of questions....

now another use of those containers...underground bunkers....you can bury one of those and use it for food and water storage or make it a living space for the zombie attacks

well you never said about financing which is why people buy trailors they can get financing...nor did you say how much it would cost to get the containers transported to ky from fl

and involving subs is basically shooting yourself in the foot....and i say that as the wife of a sub

They are the same containers they take right off cargo ships and put on the backs of semi trucks. It would cost about $500 to get one delivered from Florida to Kentucky.

People would have to get financing from the bank.

No, I just want to do the sales and then hire subcontractors to do all the work. I want to make the money off selling the idea to people around here, and how they are much sturdier and safer than the conventional trailers.

In that case, nail down the design and business model and maybe you can sell franchises.
That's probably the best idea. Make it look snazzy, glitzy web design, enticing money making opportunity. Get as many deposits on franchise licenses you can before litigation gets out of control and leave the country.

Litigation... I just knew you would come here to troll. Why? Please just stop. Don't be a dick for once.

400 sq ft....what is the average cost of a sq ft now? lets go with 175 a sq ft....grumpy is saying the smaller the house the higher the cost per square ft...you still have the cost of the kitchen and bathroom but the cost is divided into less sq ft...

okay we go with 175 ...ooo no no cant be that much ...but that is a figure you would need to know if you go on shark tank...cost per sq ft.

They are the same containers they take right off cargo ships and put on the backs of semi trucks. It would cost about $500 to get one delivered from Florida to Kentucky.

Maybe pull them out of a Great Lakes port? Barge full of them down the Mississippi to the south end of Illinois or whatever. Small thing, but could increase margin....

i think 2500 is a killer idea...and sellable but i think you need to branch out...make it a multi use idea....keep it simple....sell the containers....
buy cheap and let the next buyer do whatever they want with the containers...400 sq ft of storage for 6.25 per sq ft is a damn steal...

so lets go to 10 bucks a square ft....4 k for a storage unit is still a great price....they are rodent proof....rainproof etc

400 sq ft....what is the average cost of a sq ft now? lets go with 175 a sq ft....grumpy is saying the smaller the house the higher the cost per square ft...you still have the cost of the kitchen and bathroom but the cost is divided into less sq ft...

okay we go with 175 ...ooo no no cant be that much ...but that is a figure you would need to know if you go on shark tank...cost per sq ft.

Haha no... it's not going to cost $70,000 to do the inside of a 40 foot shipping container! The picture of the house I said I wanted to build was $40,000 total including labor and the cost to put it in place.

Maybe pull them out of a Great Lakes port? Barge full of them down the Mississippi to the south end of Illinois or whatever. Small thing, but could increase margin....

Well the key is these containers I found in Florida are refurbished. When buying a used container you have to take into account things like the paint and dents, and if they have been sprayed with chemicals for bugs. If they have sprayed for bugs then it cost a lot to get rid of that so that they can be livable.

okay all this math is making me dizzy...so you want to do this for 100 per square ft?

to me that is do able....lets run this by grumpy.....big sigh...well you are gonna have a hard time selling by looking at it that way....and now we are fighting lol....he just keep saying you cant look at it that way

i think 2500 is a killer idea...and sellable but i think you need to branch out...make it a multi use idea....keep it simple....sell the containers....
buy cheap and let the next buyer do whatever they want with the containers...400 sq ft of storage for 6.25 per sq ft is a damn steal...

so lets go to 10 bucks a square ft....4 k for a storage unit is still a great price....they are rodent proof....rainproof etc

The best thing in the long run is to be able to afford a piece of land and stack some of these on top of each other and build an apartment building for a bunch of residual income.

These buildings are becoming very popular... and aren't anywhere near as expensive as you are making it out to be. Plus you have to remember they are only 40 foot long, we aren't talking about a huge house to do all this work.
If it's being done already, why ask? I knew a guy living in one, it's not for the faint hearted. I could see it as a storage/storm shelter unit.

If it's a new thing the gubment might not be up to speed on them yet.

Litigation... I just knew you would come here to troll. Why? Please just stop. Don't be a dick for once.
It had nothing to do with your theoretical career choice.

o great now i am being lectured.....as soon as the sun comes up i am back to pulling bobwire...

i still say keep it simple....resell is the way to go....dont limit the scope of your possible business....start small...with resells....you can take deposits and leverage their money for your best interests....that way
you only one 1 unit for exhibit...

and a bunch of ideas on how to use your unit....

and another thing...dont chat this up with people close to you till you have this in place..ideas are stolen quickly...

Forum List

Back