Internet Connection.....Help!!

Caroljo

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2009
I got a new Gateway Laptop a few weeks ago with windows 8 (still trying to get used to that!). But ever since i got this, we've had a lot of problems with our internet connection. We have 2 laptops and a desktop. Everything worked fine until i started using this, and we can't figure it out! We have a wireless router that seems to be working fine. But we keep loosing connection, it comes and goes. Today we struggled all afternoon trying to get both laptops on line. Finally tonight it seems to be working ok. But most of the time it shows we have no or limited connection. Has anyone else had this problem? We also bought a new Netgear router. But when we try to set it up, we can't get connected. Even though everything looks ok.

I hate computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!

I got a new Gateway Laptop a few weeks ago with windows 8 (still trying to get used to that!). But ever since i got this, we've had a lot of problems with our internet connection. We have 2 laptops and a desktop. Everything worked fine until i started using this, and we can't figure it out! We have a wireless router that seems to be working fine. But we keep loosing connection, it comes and goes. Today we struggled all afternoon trying to get both laptops on line. Finally tonight it seems to be working ok. But most of the time it shows we have no or limited connection. Has anyone else had this problem? We also bought a new Netgear router. But when we try to set it up, we can't get connected. Even though everything looks ok.

Lot's of people have problems with their Internet connection and there are a lot of possible sources for the problem. Check to see how far the computers are from the router. You can sometimes be 100 feet away with no problem or you could have a problem when you are less than 50 feet. It all depends on how much interference there is and how old the router is. Newer routers are of course better. If one of your computers is fairly close to your router, I would connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away for that computer. If it does, you probably have something that's interfering with the wireless signal. If the computer that's connected to the router via the Ethernet cable still has the problem, I would call my service provider.

Hope this is of some help

Last edited:

Lot's of people have problems with their Internet connection and there are a lot of possible sources for the problem. Check to see how far the computers are from the router. You can sometimes be 100 feet away with no problem or you could have a problem when you are less than 50 feet. It all depends on how much interference there is and how old the router is. Newer routers are of course better. If one of your computers is fairly close to your router, I would connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away for that computer. If it does, you probably have something that's interfering with the wireless signal. If the computer that's connected to the router via the Ethernet cable still has the problem, I would call my service provider.

Hope this is of some help

Ya....I'll probably have to ask for help. Both our laptops are almost right next to the router & modem. I've tried connecting mine up with the ethernet cable, sometimes it works and sometimes not. It wouldn't work today. I finally have it working good wirelessly tonight, somehow! :) I'd like to get the new router going, and i think i'll ask my provider for another modem, ours is a few years old. It's so frustrating!! Thanks for you help tho!

As far as I know there are quite a few possible reasons and it would be best to work it out with your provider. If it turns out not to be the modem then it's most likely a setting was changed, maybe by an update or if you configured the new computer to your home network you changed a setting or just set it up wrong and now there's a conflict of some sort in the settings.

As far as I know there are quite a few possible reasons and it would be best to work it out with your provider. If it turns out not to be the modem then it's most likely a setting was changed, maybe by an update or if you configured the new computer to your home network you changed a setting or just set it up wrong and now there's a conflict of some sort in the settings.

Thanks...ya, we did finally get ahold of our provider and everything seems to be working ok now :). Something was screwed up, probably from my son trying to fix it...lol!

Thanks...ya, we did finally get ahold of our provider and everything seems to be working ok now :). Something was screwed up, probably from my son trying to fix it...lol!

One of the things I find funny is almost everyone seems to think kids these days know everything there is to know about computers and computer periphery. What's even funnier is when I discovered I knew more than a lot of them and I'm not a true nerd. :lol:

Yea...

... don't have a microwave oven anywhere near...

... a computer, modem or router...

... the interference it gives off can cause all kinds of weird problems.
:redface:

Thing is....he's not a "kid", he's 38 yrs old! Lol! And i kept telling him... "maybe if you call the internet provider they could tell you quickly what's wrong". But he was so sure he could get it, until i started getting pissed :). Then he called and VOILA....it works! Lol!

Thing is....he's not a "kid", he's 38 yrs old! Lol! And i kept telling him... "maybe if you call the internet provider they could tell you quickly what's wrong". But he was so sure he could get it, until i started getting pissed :). Then he called and VOILA....it works! Lol!

Let me guess. Turn off the modem for 30 seconds then turn it back on...... right?

I've found that sometimes the ethernet cables/wires go bad and need to be replaced.

Let me guess. Turn off the modem for 30 seconds then turn it back on...... right?

No... not quite that easy! :) We actually did all that stuff....restarted the modem, router, and searched all over for an answer. I think it was that we had the connection set to automatic, but we ended up having to put in the IP numbers etc.

No... not quite that easy! :) We actually did all that stuff....restarted the modem, router, and searched all over for an answer. I think it was that we had the connection set to automatic, but we ended up having to put in the IP numbers etc.

You had to do a manual set? The auto setting should have worked unless there was an IP conflict. Something doesn't sound right.

You had to do a manual set? The auto setting should have worked unless there was an IP conflict. Something doesn't sound right.

I know! That's why i think my son was so confused....there was no disc for the new router, so he thought it should have just set up automatically.

I got a new Gateway Laptop a few weeks ago with windows 8 (still trying to get used to that!). But ever since i got this, we've had a lot of problems with our internet connection.

Let me provide you with a timeline of Microsoft operating systems in order of release

Windows 98--- good system
Windows ME-- bad system
Windows XP-- good system
Windows vista-- bad system
Windows 7-- good system

Do you see a trend developing?

I got a new Gateway Laptop a few weeks ago with windows 8 (still trying to get used to that!). But ever since i got this, we've had a lot of problems with our internet connection.

Let me provide you with a timeline of Microsoft operating systems in order of release

Windows 98--- good system
Windows ME-- bad system
Windows XP-- good system
Windows vista-- bad system
Windows 7-- good system

Do you see a trend developing?

Yes!!!!!!! I think Windows 8 sucks, it's so hard to learn how to navigate through it. Wish i had know better when i got it, but oh well.....I'll figure it all out eventually! :)

I'll bet 75% of the support calls begin with the tech instructing the user to turn off and turn the computer, modem, or router. I know this solves most of my problems. I think most of these problems are software bugs or programs not communicating properly.

Somewhere in India a guy with broken English is awaiting your call.

I'll bet 75% of the support calls begin with the tech instructing the user to turn off and turn the computer, modem, or router. I know this solves most of my problems. I think most of these problems are software bugs or programs not communicating properly.

I think there was something in my new laptop that screwed up our wireless connection because my husbands laptop wasn't staying online either, and we hadn't been having any problems until i tried connecting my new one. It was crazy.....then we'd have service on and off (mostly off!). That happened with a laptop my other son would bring over....he'd turn it on and we'd loose our internet connection, have to restart everything then it would work fine.

Window 8 sucks for desktops and laptops.

Windows 7 is pretty good.

I think there was something in my new laptop that screwed up our wireless connection because my husbands laptop wasn't staying online either, and we hadn't been having any problems until i tried connecting my new one. It was crazy.....then we'd have service on and off (mostly off!). That happened with a laptop my other son would bring over....he'd turn it on and we'd loose our internet connection, have to restart everything then it would work fine.
Internet providers have problems and there is nothing you can do about it but wait. Often users will assume there is something wrong with their computer, network, or router. Their super techie son or neighbor makes changes in the control panel, router, cables, or other stuff and during this process the internet provider fixes the problem. The next day super techie is telling people on the Internet about his solution which was not the solution at all. I really think this type of behavior is responsible for so much bad information on the Net about fixing computer problems.

I have found the best thing to do when things stop working is switch everything off then on. If that doesn't fix it, leave it for half day. Then if it's still not working, it's time to start working on the problem or get help.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back