Internet sales tax? yea or nay?

I'm undecided right now because on the one hand you can get some good deals but on the other, I'm short-changing mom & pop. brick & mortar stores & not contributing to the public purse for firemen, police, state's rainy day funds, etc...

Some states have internet sales taxes tacked onto one's purchases but the majority of states do not recieve any sales tax for internet sales right?

Give me your position & the reason you support it other than the standard response of "its cheaper"

If I order an item from say Utah and they have zero presence here in cali., I don't see why I am being charged a sales tax on a simple exchange for goods in that context.

This may also push sales points off-shore.

I also noticed amazon is now down with collecting it, they even sell their collection services to others......so they gave up and joined the money grab, for a crony capitalism gimme to be named later.

and Wal-Mart will love this too....

you are right. They are monoplies like Wall Street banks who have teams of lawyers & accountants to deal w/ the complexities involved.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...know-about-the-senates-online-sales-tax-bill/
What does Amazon think? Amazon’s actually in favor of the bill. That may sound odd, but there are two reasons for that: For one, the company is big enough that collecting these sales taxes will be more of a burden to its smaller competitors. Second, Amazon has been moving to same-day shipping and is setting up physical warehouses in just about every state — so, increasingly, it’s already required to collect sales tax under existing rules anyway.

Last edited:
I think the $ 10 million threshold is cool, but in the end, this simppet here;

"CBPP’s Michael Mazerov sums up the main case in favor here: The bill would flatten the playing field between online retailers and local stores. It would allow states to recoup a few billion in taxes that are currently owed and go uncollected. And it would make tax collections slightly more progressive, since poorer Americans are less likely to shop online."

the marketplace will settle this. We don't need congress to get involved in '"flattening" any playing field, all they do is make it more convoluted.

And let me tell you straight up, Durbin says this has zero to do with federal taxes......NOW it may not, , but we all know thats BS, they will , not now not next year but in 3-5 years find a way to get in on the $$ grab.

"CBPP’s Michael Mazerov sums up the main case in favor here: The bill would flatten the playing field between online retailers and local stores. It would allow states to recoup a few billion in taxes that are currently owed and go uncollected. And it would make tax collections slightly more progressive, since poorer Americans are less likely to shop online."

the marketplace will settle this. We don't need congress to get involved in '"flattening" any playing field, all they do is make it more convoluted.

And let me tell you straight up, Durbin says this has zero to do with federal taxes......NOW it may not, , but we all know thats BS, they will , not now not next year but in 3-5 years find a way to get in on the $$ grab.

municipalities are being starved for revenue by hipster netizens who evade local taxes by buying their stuff out of a warehouse in Long Beach. I'm guilty as well. This is more about people who live in a municipality funding their local government rather than brick & mortar v. online store's survival.

Last edited:
I'm for paying the tax. California now gets the sales tax on purchases by it's residents from online retailers. It's supporting the state you live in. I believe in the old saying "Taxes are the price we pay for civilization".

The tax is charged at the point of sale - if any. That is as it should be. If a seller in a different state has to collect both his state's sales tax and yours and then deliver the taxes collected to every other state then how many jobs will be lost over that? How would you go about tracking each sale, the taxes owed and collected and the state the order is delivered to? What a friggin' nightmare!
I use the internet when there is no decent local dealer selling the merchandise I desire. Sometimes I pay sales tax and sometimes I don't but I never pay more than tax for one state and it is usually the state in which the sale originates.

New York charges sales tax on internet purchases in state. Why would it be so much more difficult to expand that to all customers? If the shop is in NY anyone buying there pays NY taxes. If in PA you pay PA taxes...

It would actually simplify things for businesses rather than having the dual tiered system we have now.

The problem is that taxes must be collected from people who live out of state and paid back to the state in which they live. It's not as simple as just saying Internet companies have to charge sales tax to everyone and pay it to their own state. This would create an absolute nightmare for companies having to pay to hundreds of different taxing authorities and collecting different rates based on where the person lives. In such a form it is unworkable.

I think taxation on the net is inevitable.

Its gonna be a mess until its merchants can pay a centralized authority though.

One of my customers from a foreign nation purchases a download originating in AZ and their money ends up in a bank in Maine.

What state or nation gets to collect the sales tax?

Therein lies the biggest problem of all. Even if they simplified it to the point that a company only had to collect one tax rate per state and only had to pay the state taxing authority, that still leaves businesses having to track and pay sales taxes to 51 taxing authorities.

I'm undecided right now because on the one hand you can get some good deals but on the other, I'm short-changing mom & pop. brick & mortar stores & not contributing to the public purse for firemen, police, state's rainy day funds, etc...

Some states have internet sales taxes tacked onto one's purchases but the majority of states do not recieve any sales tax for internet sales right?

Give me your position & the reason you support it other than the standard response of "its cheaper"

MWF for it.
TThS against it.
Do not ask me on a Sunday.

On one hand, its the only way to protect the physical retailers through which we support our local governments. On the other, where is it written that it is smart to base your budget on the spending whims of the public?

A modest, federal uniform tax on Internet purchases seems to be the winner.

Who gets the revenue? These are state sales taxes, not federal taxes.

quite a few good constructive comments here but not much in the way of links. Come on people. ;)

I came up w/ a compromise last night, how about taxing BUT at a lower rate for online sales. Maybe even 1/2 the rate or whatever rate will negate the shippping cost as a factor plus give them a margin to make up for the start-up costs of say building websites to advertise.. There's a few things that can be done here.
How about lowering the tax on the brick and mortar businesses instead of taxing the online sales? Why punish the consumer?

Great idea. Then they can just shut down all state government.

I'm curious as to why some people think that the mere act of me purchasing an item entitles some government entity proceeds from that sale.

Because that's generally the law in most places.
Honestly this isn't a new tax. It is a means to enforce taxes that already exist on the books but cannot be enforced.

I think taxation on the net is inevitable.

Its gonna be a mess until its merchants can pay a centralized authority though.

One of my customers from a foreign nation purchases a download originating in AZ and their money ends up in a bank in Maine.

What state or nation gets to collect the sales tax?

A flat federal tax will be levied then, on top of that, purchaser based sales taxes will be levied. If NY State has the tax and you live in NY, you will have to pay the state tax on top of the federal one. Across the State line in PA, you will have only the federal theorhetically.

the problem isn't who should pay?

The problem is who should the merchant pay?

Now a single tax collected from the buyer and then paid to ONLY one government is really no problem.

But taxes imposed by every state would be a major problem for many internet retailers.

I'm curious as to why some people think that the mere act of me purchasing an item entitles some government entity proceeds from that sale.

Because that's generally the law in most places.
Honestly this isn't a new tax. It is a means to enforce taxes that already exist on the books but cannot be enforced.

right. People are supposed to declare their purchases to their state at the end of the year but states know this is not being done

Heard on the radio this am that the senate ios basically for it. Didn't hear whether the President would sign it though.

so think about it this way. if i purchase clothes in NJ I am not charged sales tax. if I buy clothes on the internet, why should I be charged a sales tax?

so think about it this way. if i purchase clothes in NJ I am not charged sales tax. if I buy clothes on the internet, why should I be charged a sales tax?

If you purchase clothes in NY you will be charged tax. If you buy them online you wont. Why should you not pay a sales tax?

If you purchase clothes in NY you will be charged tax. If you buy them online you wont. Why should you not pay a sales tax?

because NY sucks and i wouldn't buy clothes, or gas or most anything there.

municipalities are being starved for revenue by hipster netizens who evade local taxes by buying their stuff out of a warehouse in Long Beach. I'm guilty as well. This is more about people who live in a municipality funding their local government rather than brick & mortar v. online store's survival.

I am a huge online purchaser....I was in fact one of amazons first 1000 customers, they sent me some note 3-4 years ago during their anniversary....big whoop:lol: ...but I will say they have always been on the money with me, they have fantastic customer service.

BUT after this latest move? I'll shop around more.

as to hip netsters, I don't think at my age I am too hip anymore, BUT I am a Customer, in a free market, capitalist economy and this how it works......its called creative destruction.

If brick and mortar establishments are no longer needed or required to meet the shopping needs of society I don't see where and why gov. needs to get involved trying to circumvent reality and the future....do I need to whip out ( no pun intended ) the horse and buggy vs. car analogy?

We don't need the gov. getting int the way or trying to rescue us, example-

they have tried that crap with Green Tech. for a few decades now and if you have not noticed the cap and trade European program has now completely and absolutely fallen apart, and the Green religion apostles/acolytes etc. all petitioned the EU to save it by subsidization and taxes, but not even the professional bureaucrats in the EU would save it, they said no....because its unworkable....

Same here, if the brick and mortar model is no longer efficable, then, let it die, don't tax me for some guilt ridden Quixotic charge to save the superfluous and un-savable....

I am a huge online purchaser....I was in fact one of amazons first 1000 customers, they sent me some note 3-4 years ago during their anniversary....big whoop:lol: ...but I will say they have always been on the money with me, they have fantastic customer service.

BUT after this latest move? I'll shop around more.

as to hip netsters, I don't think at my age I am too hip anymore, BUT I am a Customer, in a free market, capitalist economy and this how it works......its called creative destruction.

If brick and mortar establishments are no longer needed or required to meet the shopping needs of society I don't see where and why gov. needs to get involved trying to circumvent reality and the future....do I need to whip out ( no pun intended ) the horse and buggy vs. car analogy?

We don't need the gov. getting int the way or trying to rescue us, example-

they have tried that crap with Green Tech. for a few decades now and if you have not noticed the cap and trade European program has now completely and absolutely fallen apart, and the Green religion apostles/acolytes etc. all petitioned the EU to save it by subsidization and taxes, but not even the professional bureaucrats in the EU would save it, they said no....because its unworkable....

Same here, if the brick and mortar model is no longer efficable, then, let it die, don't tax me for some guilt ridden Quixotic charge to save the superfluous and un-savable....

and brick and mortar establishments need to realize they need to change with the times. many brick and mortar businesses also offer an internet option. the internet is just that an option. a practical one as well. it gives you the ability to shop online for the best source and service as opposed to driving from location to location. if the brick and mortar location is competitive, there is no reason they can not be competitive in an internet environ ment as well. in fact, many have flourished and expanded as the result of the internet.

Correct. This is important. Some people want it both ways, strongest country in the world but they don't want to pay for it because it might add $20 to the cost of their communist made plasma tv.

I'm pretty sure your state sales tax doesn't pay for the US Military.

got to have infrastructure to transport those tanks now.

Why do I get the impression that you're one-sided on this issue? Please make a comment w/ one credible link. ONE!!! This is how the CDZ works. is that too much to ask? You're a maude for cryin out loud!!! :eusa_wall:

The tax will help pay for the public union pensions which are draining most states. :eusa_whistle:

Just another angle to get in everybodies pocket.

Last edited:
Thinking about this a little more.....I'm wondering what else they're tacking on to this Bill?
Call me skeptical

are you ready for the rain tax that is about to rear its ugly head?

Yup, and we just never know until the Bill is passed.
Just like the Budget Bill with the Monsanto Act thown in.

Forum List

Back