Iowa: Man Sentenced to 16-Years in Prison for Stealing, Burning LGBT Flag

Seems all the info in the world can be presented and some will still refuse to read and learn.
You are just insisting you are correct no matter what. Sentencing at three times the rate recommended by the Iowa state authorities is draconian no matter what you insist, given the circumstances.
In any other circumstance burning a flag would be called a matter of free speech and thought and such a case would be dismissed with minimal fuss.

There is no doubt because this flag was a gay one and the accused refused to recant and claim contrition the system put the screws to this guy. It's an outrage no matter how many smug posts you put up.

No, I guess the laws materialized on their own by magic.

Then it's just an assertion or your opinion that the left are not being hypocrites and reacting to the LGBTQ (btw why did they add the Q?) flag being burned. The US flag is being burned all the time in protests. My take is the right probably do not support this nor do the libertarians. I would think the left supports this only b/c of the symbol.

And, the repeat offender status.......

No need to repeat like a parrot haha. This guy will probably get his sentenced reduced as no arson was involved. He may have not known the symbolism of the rainbow flag nor what LGBTQ acronym stands for. Probably a bag of chips and a reduced sentence is what he ends up with.

Seems all the info in the world can be presented and some will still refuse to read and learn.
You are just insisting you are correct no matter what. Sentencing at three times the rate recommended by the Iowa state authorities is draconian no matter what you insist, given the circumstances.
In any other circumstance burning a flag would be called a matter of free speech and thought and such a case would be dismissed with minimal fuss.

There is no doubt because this flag was a gay one and the accused refused to recant and claim contrition the system put the screws to this guy. It's an outrage no matter how many smug posts you put up.

The sentence was within the guidelines of Iowa's repeat offender laws.

No, I guess the laws materialized on their own by magic.

Then it's just an assertion or your opinion that the left are not being hypocrites...........

Please re-read what I said. I said some on the left do not support repeat status offender laws. Slow down and read what I say before replying.

I do not speak for them.

Please re-read what I said. I said some on the left do not support repeat status offender laws. Slow down and read what I say before replying.

I do not speak for them.

I did and it's not clear what you meant. Besides, you admitted you have no evidence for your statements, so what does it matter? You are entitled to opinion even if it's unclear.

I'll assume you are not speaking for the left, but only for yourself.

We'll have to see what the near future holds and whether this man get a reduced sentence on appeal. Burning the LGBTQ flag may not be a hate crime nor arson.

I do not speak for them.

I did and it's not clear what you meant. Besides, you admitted you have no evidence for your statements, so what does it matter? You are entitled to opinion even if it's unclear.

I'll assume you are not speaking for the left, but only for yourself.

We'll have to see what the near future holds and whether this man get a reduced sentence on appeal. Burning the LGBTQ flag may not be a hate crime nor arson.

It's his right to appeal.

Not my problem. I provided it.
Then you should know where it is. It's more likely you are lying about your lack of evidence.

You expect something to just be handed to you?
Of course if you say you've provided proof of a specious claim and then refuse to say where it is.
Dick or liar...which is it?

I do not have a boner for draconian sentencing. I just do not mind. I freely admit, the prosecution loaded up the indictment with every charge he thought he could make stick. The jury deliberated and found the defendent guilty. the guy was sentence by the judge to 15+ years. Apparently they take it pretty serious if you threaten to burn down a bar while it is open, then come with incendiaries to do it, and then light them up. The accused had prior history of arrests in the town. I think they were having trouble getting through to him and gave him plenty of time to think about it. In general, most people with 15+ sentences in the United States do not serve the entire sentence. If someone threatened to burn down your house, came back while you and your family were there after midnight, and lit a tire of rags and accelerates in front of your house. What sentence would you give? For that matter, if he flicked his bic, would he get a chance to light up a tire that he might roll into your door?
If someone comes to your house with a gun and threatens to shoot you they don't get a triply long sentence for the threat minus any actual violence. It's just that simple. .

True, but I won't waste time if the DA loads of every charge he can, just to put him away for longer. The perp was repeat asshole offender in that town. The Judge was just taking out the trash, all the way to the dump. Good man. The headline was click-bait.

I do not have a boner for draconian sentencing. I just do not mind. I freely admit, the prosecution loaded up the indictment with every charge he thought he could make stick. The jury deliberated and found the defendent guilty. the guy was sentence by the judge to 15+ years. Apparently they take it pretty serious if you threaten to burn down a bar while it is open, then come with incendiaries to do it, and then light them up. The accused had prior history of arrests in the town. I think they were having trouble getting through to him and gave him plenty of time to think about it. In general, most people with 15+ sentences in the United States do not serve the entire sentence. If someone threatened to burn down your house, came back while you and your family were there after midnight, and lit a tire of rags and accelerates in front of your house. What sentence would you give? For that matter, if he flicked his bic, would he get a chance to light up a tire that he might roll into your door?
If someone comes to your house with a gun and threatens to shoot you they don't get a triply long sentence for the threat minus any actual violence. It's just that simple. .

So someone in the church should have just shot him?
No, No, No. If it was Tennessee, he might well have been shot when he attempted to light the tire, rags/stolen flag and accelerates/explosives.

So someone in the church should have just shot him?
Is that a real church?
No, not for stealing a flag. You can't even do that here. non-violent stealing is not covered under "stand your ground" law, and that state does not have a stand your ground law. You are required to die in place if attacked violently. Doesn't necessarily have a negative meaning about Iowa, but probably indicates a lower violent crime rate than Tennessee. Yes. The perp apparently stole the flag from a real church, I assume had LGBTQ attendees or members. If he had not threatened to burn down the bar and been a repeat offender, I doubt any rational judge would have given him 15+ years.

True, but I won't waste time if the DA loads of every charge he can, just to put him away for longer. The perp was repeat asshole offender in that town. The Judge was just taking out the trash, all the way to the dump. Good man. The headline was click-bait.
He could have gotten half that sentence, if that, and justice would have been served.
I'm glad there aren't more "solid citizens" like you around who just don't give a fuck when someone gets reamed under the guise of "justice".

If you read the background material, which you obviously have not, or have and ignored it, this defendant, a dick or not, would not recant remarks he made that were anti gay.
The judge said, Oh, yeah? This will teach you not to be loving and tolerant (with her sentence) and she threw him in jail for the next sixteen years!

This doesn't lessen anti gay bias. It accelerates it.

Forum List

Back