Is Good Grammar.......well, GOOD?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
"According to Match.com's annual survey, Singles in America, good grammar topped the list (83%!) as one of the most important qualities people looked for in a significant other."
(taken from Google searchs)

Is bad grammar something you have a pet peeve against? Do you think good grammar is attractive and professional?

There are a lot of online posts, threads, and blogs about good grammar being highly chosen over looks and fashion in the job market, dating, and speaking in public.

It is horrible and inexcusable that public school kids are not taught correctly any longer, which is part of the problem.

Some instances of Bad Grammar:

Conjunctions (I call it "conjunction-itis, LOL)
Slang
Using the incorrect words (as in irregardless instead of regardless)
Incorrect pronounciations (as in "axed" instead of "asked", or "envelups" instead of "envelopes")
Slurring (as in you cannot understand them at all)
Speaking too fast
Using "Umm", "Uhh", or some sort of noise like sighing, as word fillers

1659208279957.png

Depends on just how bad it is.
I sure dont want some ghetto talking bimbo.
Just like a lack of vocabulary poor speaking skills are a turn off for me,it usually means a poor education and just not giving a shit how they come across.
The type of girls my brother dates is a prime example.

People like this are a prime example.....

I can speak quite well, when I wish or need too. But I usually yak like a redneck. My momma taught me how to be a lady. I can do that in an emergency.

Growing up I had to attend way more back tie events than I wanted to.
My Dad was a stickler when it came to using proper English.
I have to give Him credit as well as all the reading I did and still do.

Growing up I had to attend way more back tie events than I wanted to.
My Dad was a stickler when it came to using proper English.
I have to give Him credit as well as all the reading I did and still do.
How many 'back' tie events exist in the United States today?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, I know it's a typo.

Depends on just how bad it is.
I sure dont want some ghetto talking bimbo.
Just like a lack of vocabulary poor speaking skills are a turn off for me,it usually means a poor education and just not giving a shit how they come across.
The type of girls my brother dates is a prime example.

People like this are a prime example.....

Being a useless fuktard is not the same as bad grammar.

But.........
Bullet to the head..........problem solved.

I think I saw a scifi show or movie, where people below a certain intelligence level were not allowed to live.
Sounds like bliss.

Ignorant and Unstructured Grammar Leads to Ignorant and Unstructured Thought

Our enemy, the ruling class, ordered its schools to not teach grammar anymore. That is a clue to how important it is. It's a key weapon in dumbing us down so they can control us even more.
Paranoid much?

Being a useless fuktard is not the same as bad grammar.

But.........
Bullet to the head..........problem solved.

I think I saw a scifi show or movie, where people below a certain intelligence level were not allowed to live.
Sounds like bliss.
Disgusting

Ignorant and Unstructured Grammar Leads to Ignorant and Unstructured Thought

Our enemy, the ruling class, ordered its schools to not teach grammar anymore. That is a clue to how important it is. It's a key weapon in dumbing us down so they can control us even more.
I teach grammar consistently and comprehensively in all of my ESL classes.

I can speak quite well, when I wish or need too. But I usually yak like a redneck. My momma taught me how to be a lady. I can do that in an emergency.

It's called "adapting to the situation".

I flack my yap like a true Southerner does. But I also check myself when in a converstation or in a meeting, or having to deal with a group of people. I adapt to the situation at hand, and adjust my speech tools accordingly.

It's called "adapting to the situation".

I flack my yap like a true Southerner does. But I also check myself when in a converstation or in a meeting, or having to deal with a group of people. I adapt to the situation at hand, and adjust my speech tools accordingly.
code switching

Folks think only minorities do it, but anyone that remembers being a teenager knows, everyone does it.

This is yet another grievance of minorities, that they must "code switch," that their particular dialectic, slang, mannerisms, etc., is not accepted in professional situations, and, thus, a outward expression of white supremacy and oppression.

As if it does not affect the young, and other regional groups as well.

Keep your shit-kickers and overalls at home boy.

:auiqs.jpg:

As a first impression? Yes, good grammar is very important. As that would pertain to something like Match.com, job listing, and other things. After the initial impression there is no reason to think it wouldn't relax over time.

Forum List

Back