🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Homophobia a Mental Disorder?

I could be wrong, but is this a case of one moron quoting another moron to prove a point?

From the linked source:

"Homophobia has been classified as a mental illness for over 120 years."

Enough said.

Um, the idiotic term homophobia was coind in the late '60's.

Try not being so easily fooled by stupid posts on other boards with zero credibility and even less brain cells.

If it is a real phobia, meaning the terror of encountering a homosexual prevents you going out in public, then sure. If we are talking about disagreeing with treating homosexuality exactly the same as we treat heterosexuality, that is not a phobia. Psychologists do not diagnose people with a phobia if they simply dislike heights, strangers, confined spaces or homosexuals. Those aren't phobias.

Personally, I've never met a homophobic, but I guess that makes sense, as their terror of encountering an "other" would keep them pretty isolated, like agorophobics. I don't care for gray. I'm partial to pink and yellow. I don't fear gray, however, I just don't like it. Maybe I'm gray biggoted, but certainly not phobic (which has a very real meaning).

George Weinberg is credited with coining the term homophobia, which referred to a "debilitating irrational fear of homosexuals". In today's politically correct world, the term has been redefined to describe any aversion to homosexuality. However, I believe from a psychiatric standpoint, the original definition still holds true today.

Last edited:
Even though the definition may hold true, there is nobody who is afflicted with it, so what is the point?

If I define tapiocaphobic as someone who has an irrational fear of tapioca pudding, so what? The definition is valid but pointless.

Just like with homophobe. Does not exist.

Forum List

Back