Is it time to legalize pot and reduce the death rate of tobacco and alcohol?

Has anyone ever gotten into a car accident when the one for the road was a Marlboro?

Can you have a cigarette and then fly a plane? Can you get high on pot and fly a plane?

So it's safe to say that you also want to bring prohibition back? Since you can't fly or drive after drinking, might as well make all alcohol illegal.

Let's put government over personal responsibility, then after we do that, pretend we're still conservative. It's my favorite game!

Typical narco-libertarian deflection.

Deflection? I was using his exact thought process on weed, but towards alcohol.

If you can't drive while high, make marijuana illegal.

If you can't drive while drunk, making drinking illegal.

Typical neo-con, government apologist.

It's time to legalize pot, but it's fallacious to assume that will lower tobacco and alcohol rates as use of one doesn't exclude the other.

Correct, for this generation.
Incorrect for the next.

They will make the healthier choice if they seek intoxication and that will be with pot.
With choice comes the need to educate oneself and an educated population will choose the least harmful and that is pot.

Regards
DL

legalizing pot will have ZERO effect on tobacco and alcohol use.

Then why did those two lobbies sink millions into a vote against a change in law?

Regards
DL

A few questions I would like to ask of potheads.

Do you use pot yourself?
If you do not use pot yourself, do you think that pot users don't drink?
If you use pot yourself, do you and your pot using friends also drink. Such as have a few beers while you're smoking?
Damned STRAIGHT!!

An experienced-smoker doesn't (just) sit-around....tokin'-away....'til they pass-out. That's kid-stuff.

Even "heads" appreciate cold, crisp one(s).

Drugs....of ANY kind....are no different than anything else. If you're gonna make a pig of yourself, there's gonna be a downside....a lot like food....except, food will kill you more-slowly than some drugs.​

People assume that pot will lower the rates of death for tobacco and alcohol users because some will switch their vice from smokes or booze to weed, thats an awful lot of assuming.

I've been drinking since I was a teen ager. Weed is just another way to get drunk. But wait there's something else...no hangover and or upset stomach.

Answering to the OP directly, no it is not. None of it should be legal. Here's why in my own opinion;

I smoke and love it and its wonderful and I am 59 and no errors as of yet. I have never used drugs and do not drink, ever. Never developed a taste for it, as most males in our culture here in the USA love beer at least, though I cook with it with my myriad of Mexican recipes.

Down home in the Yucatan, tobacco is organic and I get it from there and have it shipped to me here in NM, and it is just cut and cured from the fields and then sold in bulk at the local vendor level, ASAP. It's cheap and delicious. Drugs there are a non issue. Beer is a mainstay there for cooking and is also organic. If you type in to find out any incidences of abuse for same, drugs, et al, there is little to none.

Drugs and alcohol abuse and obesity is an American problem per se.

Just some other input along with the American issue with same.

Robert

You claim to not do drugs? What do you think tobacco is anyway?

Has anyone ever gotten into a car accident when the one for the road was a Marlboro?

Can you have a cigarette and then fly a plane? Can you get high on pot and fly a plane?

Excellent retort. Point is accurate. Amen! Tobacco such as what I smoke from down home is referred to in the Yucatan and Belize, San Salvador, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, as a spice, not a drug. Sorry about that everyone.

Leave the borders and see the world beyond.....and why did we stop at the moon?

Robert

I don't think we should legalize pot based on the reasoning that it will reduce tobacco/alcohol deaths, BUT I think we should legalize it because I fail to see the value in using billions of dollars from our taxes each year to "protect" us from a substance that:

(1) is non-addictive (or at least much less addictive than alcohol/tobacco - both of which are legal),

(2) you can't overdose on, period.

(3) makes people calm, complacent and reflective when they smoke it.

What is the government "protecting" me from exactly? Why is it worth this price tag? I understand the argument that Pot can impair your judgement and motor activities, but so does alcohol. And a big difference between the two (alchohol, pot) is that with alcohol, your impaired judgement also comes along with aggressive action (you are fearless), where as it's quite the opposite with pot.

We're wasting tax money, in my opinion. There's just not enough pros or reasons to keep pot criminalized. I'm sick of giving these gangs/cartels more power than they deserve.

Last edited:
Answering to the OP directly, no it is not. None of it should be legal. Here's why in my own opinion;

I smoke and love it and its wonderful and I am 59 and no errors as of yet. I have never used drugs and do not drink, ever. Never developed a taste for it, as most males in our culture here in the USA love beer at least, though I cook with it with my myriad of Mexican recipes.

Down home in the Yucatan, tobacco is organic and I get it from there and have it shipped to me here in NM, and it is just cut and cured from the fields and then sold in bulk at the local vendor level, ASAP. It's cheap and delicious. Drugs there are a non issue. Beer is a mainstay there for cooking and is also organic. If you type in to find out any incidences of abuse for same, drugs, et al, there is little to none.

Drugs and alcohol abuse and obesity is an American problem per se.

Just some other input along with the American issue with same.

Robert

Thanks for this and keep up the good work.

Unfortunately, this is not about you and I.

The law is made for those who will break it.

It is that population that has to be questioned as to why they do what they do and the overall picture is what need to be looked at and overall, prohibition is too costly a proposition in a case like this where the drugs that should be illegal and kills us is legal, while the more forgiving and benign drugs are illegal.

That is insanity my friend and to promote more of such is insane.

Regards
DL

I would suggest reading my post before responding to it, i'll try again.

I graduated high school in '03, and marijuana was 100 times easier to get than alcohol. So all these old bags who say "Nooooooo don't legalize it, think of the children, THE CHILDREN!!!" just aren't in touch whatsoever with reality. Hell I bet coke was easier to get than alcohol (I've never done coke or weed.
OK so you weren't making a point at all, just sharing. Thanks. Sorry for confusing you with a sentient person.

You fit perfectly into the block of people who have absolutely no clue what's going on in the real world.

Getting drugs in a regulated environment where ID's are checked, limits can be put on what's sold, and money goes into the american economy. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting drugs from gang banger, who got his drugs from a terrorist, who got his drugs from a drug lord. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria adds very little to the debate/discussion. It's obvious you bring little to the table but uninformed opinions and biases.

You claim to not do drugs? What do you think tobacco is anyway?

So it's safe to say that you also want to bring prohibition back? Since you can't fly or drive after drinking, might as well make all alcohol illegal.

Let's put government over personal responsibility, then after we do that, pretend we're still conservative. It's my favorite game!

You addressed tobacco, not alcohol. First you say what do you think tobacco is and when your fallacy was pointed out, changed it to alcohol. We don't let people drink and drive, nor drink and fly planes. Do you think we will prohibit smoking pot and driving? Or, smoking pot and flying a plane? There are school bus drivers smoking on the job! There are train engineers smoking pot on the train, and crashing those trains.

Legalize ALL drugs and make it so low cost that it is affordable to anyone who wants to use whatever kind they want to use.

I used to be against drug legalization but no more. Drug use is self limiting. Users tend to die young. A cop friend pointed that out to me. He noticed that most deaths among young adults was drug related. It's a way to humanely eliminate the drug user problem. Not the drug problem, but the drug user problem.

Proof? Evidence?

There is no logical reason to expect legalizing pot to effect either. There is no causal connection between the legal status of pot, with people's choices to use tobacco or alcohol. Just because someone, for example, drinks alcohol, does not in any way necessitate nor imply that legalizing pot will induce them to stop drinking. When was the last time you heard someone say "Well, pot's illegal so I guess I'll just have a beer"?

Then why did those two lobbies sink millions into a vote against a change in law?

Regards
DL

A few questions I would like to ask of potheads.

Do you use pot yourself?
If you do not use pot yourself, do you think that pot users don't drink?
If you use pot yourself, do you and your pot using friends also drink. Such as have a few beers while you're smoking?

Drug use is not either or. It is normally both, simultaneously.

Thanks for ignoring my question and going for the personal.

Always a good way to deflect from the issue at hand.

Anecdotal renderings are always interesting but are worthless when statistics are available.

Any that use pot FMPOV are doing the intelligent thing whether you or I use drugs or not.

Then again, I believe in intelligent use of freedom of choice, ---- and a funny thing, the land of the free will not allow intelligent use of freedom of choice.

Regards
DL

Proof? Evidence?

There is no logical reason to expect legalizing pot to effect either. There is no causal connection between the legal status of pot, with people's choices to use tobacco or alcohol. Just because someone, for example, drinks alcohol, does not in any way necessitate nor imply that legalizing pot will induce them to stop drinking. When was the last time you heard someone say "Well, pot's illegal so I guess I'll just have a beer"?

Since pot impairs judgment to begin with, someone smoking and drinking won't even be able to judge how drunk they are. That's probably why we need to have some laws protecting the public. Other than that, let them go.

The cartels have it well under control by targeting one another's customers. We haven't taken almost 50,000 users and dealers permanently off the streets, they have. Legalize drugs and give them a target rich environment to work with.

OK so you weren't making a point at all, just sharing. Thanks. Sorry for confusing you with a sentient person.

You fit perfectly into the block of people who have absolutely no clue what's going on in the real world.

Getting drugs in a regulated environment where ID's are checked, limits can be put on what's sold, and money goes into the american economy. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting drugs from gang banger, who got his drugs from a terrorist, who got his drugs from a drug lord. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria adds very little to the debate/discussion. It's obvious you bring little to the table but uninformed opinions and biases.

I wish you didn't get personally offended everytime someone says something other than "Hail Obama!"

I bashed him earlier in the thread, since he's so overwhelmingly pro-Drug War, and now here you are coming after me like you do everyone who says anything anti-Obama.

What's my bias? I've never done a single illegal drug in my life, and I'm here speaking out against the Drug War. I hate Obama, I hate Bush. Please enlightened one, reveal my bias to me.

Last edited:
[

Because underage kids have no access to alcohol, or anyone else has no access to prescription narcotics?
Talk about no clue.

Good point in saying that everything is wide open for children to use and abuse whatever they want at present.
Under a system of non-prohibitive prohibition. IOW, prohibition has failed to protect our children.

Do you not think that controling supply under a legal system would solve that little problem if we do it right?

I think it would and if you listened to those clips already supplied here, you would realize that legalization reduces use over time.

Regards
DL

[

Because underage kids have no access to alcohol, or anyone else has no access to prescription narcotics?
Talk about no clue.

Ask any kid, middle school age or high school age, what's easier to get, weed or alcohol?

Might be a nice reality check for you.[/QUOTE]

Pot is likely easier to get than alcohol.

Since pot is a healthier drug, I think this a good thing.

Regards
DL

I don't think we should legalize pot based on the reasoning that it will reduce tobacco/alcohol deaths, BUT I think we should legalize it because I fail to see the value in using billions of dollars from our taxes each year to "protect" us from a substance that:

(1) is non-addictive (or at least much less addictive than alcohol/tobacco - both of which are legal),

(3) makes people calm, complacent and reflective when they smoke it.

What is the government "protecting" me from exactly? Why is it worth this price tag? I understand the argument that Pot can impair your judgement and motor activities, but so does alcohol. And a big difference between the two (alchohol, pot) is that with alcohol, your impaired judgement also comes along with aggressive action (you are fearless), where as it's quite the opposite with pot.

We're wasting tax money, in my opinion. There's just not enough pros or reasons to keep pot criminalized. I'm sick of giving these gangs/cartels more power than they deserve.

I don't know of anyone who wrote that legalizing MJ will reduce tobacco use. Whether is reduces alcohol use is an open question.

I suspect that the use of MJ will reduce alcohol consumption, and I also believe by decriminalizing MJ and allowing the states to decide if to legalize or decriminalize and regulate we will mitigate the danger of generally law abiding citizens from interacting with a criminal element.

There are many, many advantages to removing MJ from the DEA Schedule I; I've yet to read a sound argument opposing it.

I don't think we should legalize pot based on the reasoning that it will reduce tobacco/alcohol deaths....
LOL!!!!!!!!!

1197086068917675051egore_Thumb_Up_.svg.thumb.png

....BUT I think we should legalize it because I fail to see the value in using billions of dollars from our taxes each year to "protect" us from a substance that:

(3) makes people complacent and reflective when they smoke it.

We're wasting tax money, in my opinion. There's just not enough pro's or reasons to keep pot criminalized.
I'm thinkin' the government is trying to protect everyone from that slippery-slope, into....
commercial-hemp.

After all, the paper & synthetic-fiber lobbyists are spending $eriou$-ca$h to save American jobs.....and, keep family-farm(ers) on the sideline.​

Forum List

Back