🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

No one is saying you can't embrace anorexics Iceman.

Let those who want real women have them, ok?

To each his own.
Who said they like anorexic women, I like thin women. Thin does not equal anorexic.

So real women equals overweight/obese? I suppose you are right though, around 2/3rds of the population in the US is overweight/obese, that is the reality.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...and I am sure the hell not trying to convince others here that being overweight or obese is 'ok'...the OP is about OBESE vs. ANOREXIC Barbie...one extreme against the other.
If you will take the time to actually READ and COMPREHEND the replies to the OP you will see where it is I stand on this issue.

Barbie isn't anorexic, she is a doll.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If people don't like her, they won't buy her, if there are buyers for obese barbies or overweight/average barbies, the doll will be created. The market will decide.

The Barbie Doll for years has been a "role model" for young girls...what this is about is Anorexic looking Barbie vs. Obese looking Barbie and should it be ok to market the Obese looking doll if it's ok to continue to market the anorexic looking doll..
In my opinion BOTH dolls are wrong in the make of their body type...period.
Sadly, we all know that the Barbie doll will continue to live on as the piece of plastic that she is...either way.
Your opinion doesn't determine market action by firms.

Your opinion again.

What is your proof the Barbie causes Anorexia? If anything, it is the opposite. Obesity is far more of a health risk and far more prevalent than anorexia. I bet far more girls who had a barbie when they were a kid grew up to be obese than anorexic.

A couple of years ago, we went to Branson MO for a River Dance performance. first, there was no place to eat good food. It was all fatty crap, fat food joints and fat people. The dinner shows all had real shit for their food. We damn near starved because there wasn't anyplace decent to eat.

But, interestingly, when we went through the Titanic museum, we were struck by how small the grand staircase was. The museum is supposedly famous for its accuracy so we asked ...

We were told that the museum version is actually much bigger than the original in the Titanic. They had to build it bigger because we are bigger now.

IMO, the problem with making a fatter Barbie is the same it has been for making the inhuman skinny one - Both give little girls something to strive for. Its bad enough that people are getting fatter and fatter and more and more diabetes. How about we make dolls that look normal and make that the standard for little girls to want to be?

If people don't like her, they won't buy her, if there are buyers for obese barbies or overweight/average barbies, the doll will be created. The market will decide.

The Barbie Doll for years has been a "role model" for young girls...what this is about is Anorexic looking Barbie vs. Obese looking Barbie and should it be ok to market the Obese looking doll if it's ok to continue to market the anorexic looking doll..
Sadly, we all know that the Barbie doll will continue to live on as the piece of plastic that she is...either way.

Your opinion again.

What is your proof the Barbie causes Anorexia? If anything, it is the opposite. Obesity is far more of a health risk and far more prevalent than anorexia. I bet far more girls who had a barbie when they were a kid grew up to be obese than anorexic.

Did she say it did?:confused:

A couple of years ago, we went to Branson MO for a River Dance performance. first, there was no place to eat good food. It was all fatty crap, fat food joints and fat people. The dinner shows all had real shit for their food. We damn near starved because there wasn't anyplace decent to eat.

But, interestingly, when we went through the Titanic museum, we were struck by how small the grand staircase was. The museum is supposedly famous for its accuracy so we asked ...

We were told that the museum version is actually much bigger than the original in the Titanic. They had to build it bigger because we are bigger now.

IMO, the problem with making a fatter Barbie is the same it has been for making the inhuman skinny one - Both give little girls something to strive for. Its bad enough that people are getting fatter and fatter and more and more diabetes. How about we make dolls that look normal and make that the standard for little girls to want to be?

Exactly.

And normal is neither anorexic nor plus.

Your opinion again.

Yes.

Your opinion again.

Yes.

Where?

Thats the whole point of the OP. The Barbie doll enforces "bad body image" by being "anorexic".

Can you read?

Your opinion again.

Are you kidding me? Anorexia is 'ok'? Take anorexia over obesity? Really dude?

BOTH are dangerous BOTH cause major health problems, and BOTH end in death...you, sir, are very sick in the head if you think it's 'ok' to be anorexic over being obese....

Most striking comparison between past 'big/fat' and those of today is a circus' 'fat lady/man.' Pictures from those times exist and compared to people now, some merely 'overweight' could give the circusfolk a run for their money.

Your opinion again.

BOTH are dangerous BOTH cause major health problems, and BOTH end in death...you, sir, are very sick in the head if you think it's 'ok' to be anorexic over being obese....
It is funny, you bolded what I said, but said I said something entirely different. No one said anorexia is ok. It is far less prevalent than obesity and far more people die of obesity than anorexia.

So not only are you a fat apologist, you are a liar.

Do we now think so little of our nation's young girls to suppose they believe a plastic doll is a model for their actual anatomy?

Thats the whole point of the OP. The Barbie doll enforces "bad body image" by being "anorexic".

Can you read?

I can read.

Nowhere did she draw a causal relationship between Barbierexic and anorexia.

Can you read?

I can read.

Nowhere did she draw a causal relationship between Barbierexic and anorexia.

Yes she does. She implies Barbie is anorexic and reinforces bad body images leading to anorexia.

I am done talking to you.

Last edited:

Your opinion again.

A bit of digression but this brings up another point....obese girls are despised, it's viewed as a character flaw. Anorexic girls...are pitied and in some ways admired. After all, look at all the leading models.

Do we now think so little of our nation's young girls to suppose they believe a plastic doll is a model for their actual anatomy?

It's modeled as an ideal and when coupled with what is on television and in the media...yes.

Some alterations might be done to the very skinny-looking doll so that they don't contribute to girls unhealthy self-image that contributes to illness through malnutrition.

What contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme Barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in America and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

Some alterations might be done to the very skinny-looking doll so that they don't contribute to girls unhealthy self-image that contributes to illness through malnutrition.

What contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme Barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in America and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

What is your proof the barbie causes anorexia? Far more american women are overweight or obese than anorexic. If the girls who owned barbies, far more become overweight or obese. We could just as well say the barbie is to blame for obesity by your hairbrained logic.

Plus-sized Barbie ignites volcanic debate on obesity, body image and anorexia | Examiner.com

tumblr_lp88dzNy2z1qeyi51o1_500.jpg

So, is marketing a "plus size Barbie" a good idea?

No, its not healthy to be that size, and that plus sized Barbie is fat. No doubt about it. Normal Barbie is too skinny, so something in between would be alright.

Forum List

Back