Is moderation increasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levant

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2020
Northeast Oklahoma
I had a message deleted yesterday for being off-topic. I have no idea what the message said because it's deleted. But one of the things that attracted me to this site was that the moderation seemed to not be heavy handed. Now I've had several posts deleted in the past couple months and I don't really know what's wrong with any of them. If I drift from a topic, it's never so far that it should be offensive. If I drift, it's almost always in response to something someone else posted so it seems that the post I responded to must have been off-topic, too.

Discussions drift. I could sit with any of you and talk about Linux. If we talk about Linux it will probably drift off-topic to Windows. And the weather. But that's not a thing to delete a post for.

I'm disappointed that the moderation seems to me to be excessive and, perhaps, arbitrary. I have no way to know what was deleted, by whom, or why so I can't say that it's done by certain moderators who get challenged frequently for their views.

I had a message deleted yesterday for being off-topic. I have no idea what the message said because it's deleted. But one of the things that attracted me to this site was that the moderation seemed to not be heavy handed. Now I've had several posts deleted in the past couple months and I don't really know what's wrong with any of them. If I drift from a topic, it's never so far that it should be offensive. If I drift, it's almost always in response to something someone else posted so it seems that the post I responded to must have been off-topic, too.

Discussions drift. I could sit with any of you and talk about Linux. If we talk about Linux it will probably drift off-topic to Windows. And the weather. But that's not a thing to delete a post for.

I'm disappointed that the moderation seems to me to be excessive and, perhaps, arbitrary. I have no way to know what was deleted, by whom, or why so I can't say that it's done by certain moderators who get challenged frequently for their views.
its absolutely gotten heavy handed,,I would explain but I've been banned once already for speaking out against it,,,

To quote Bill Clinton, Ah feel your pain. I left the site for a considerable time because of it. Not sure I'm back.

I don't know whether or not it is increasing, but I do know that the vast majority of my postings that are removed are removed by one, specific moderator. I'm being stalked and singled out, but I just have to accept it as business as usual.

Maybe we share the same deleter.

I’m accused of trolling, when I‘m only countering a troll, who is trolling me.

I don't know whether or not it is increasing, but I do know that the vast majority of my postings that are removed are removed by one, specific moderator. I'm being stalked and singled out, but I just have to accept it as business as usual.

Maybe we share the same deleter.

I’m accused of trolling, when I‘m only countering a troll, who is trolling me.

I can beat that. I'm accused of trolling for posing an open question about the stock market.
Course, I can't specify what that question was because mmmffff mmf :eusa_naughty:

It comes down to who mods the mods. Much like filing a complaint with the police, about the police. It has nowhere to go.

Last edited:
This place is wayyyy more permissive than most. Looking around this board full of haters and ragers posting ludicrous crap I sometimes wonder at the ones having battles with the mods. What the hell could they be posting that's over the line? Is there a line?

Well to be fair.... most of the moderators are not exactly getting paid a middle class income, to moderate the forum.

And different moderators spend more time and less time than others, moderating the forum.

I think they are doing the best they can, and if you haven't noticed, the number of people on the forum has increased substantially. So the number of posts to moderate, we know has increased dramatically.

So really..... cut them some slack.

And by the way, this forum is the least interventionist forum I have seen a long while. I rarely have a problem with over moderation. Go check out some other forums. I've been on some that if you were a left-winger you could say anything, and spam constantly, and if you were right-wing, you had temp bans all the time. This is one of the most laid back forums there is.

This place is wayyyy more permissive than most. Looking around this board full of haters and ragers posting ludicrous crap I sometimes wonder at the ones having battles with the mods. What the hell could they be posting that's over the line? Is there a line?

Thing is, there are many lines. They're inconsistent.

Well to be fair.... most of the moderators are not exactly getting paid a middle class income, to moderate the forum.

And different moderators spend more time and less time than others, moderating the forum.

I think they are doing the best they can, and if you haven't noticed, the number of people on the forum has increased substantially. So the number of posts to moderate, we know has increased dramatically.

So really..... cut them some slack.

And by the way, this forum is the least interventionist forum I have seen a long while. I rarely have a problem with over moderation. Go check out some other forums. I've been on some that if you were a left-winger you could say anything, and spam constantly, and if you were right-wing, you had temp bans all the time. This is one of the most laid back forums there is.

Isn't a question of how much time is put in moderating --- it's whether you can justify what you did.

Now in the midst of debates if A makes an assertion B can demand that A justify it. In this case that's notably absent.

Yup, gotta blame the mods for what we (collectively) are doing on the board. If the mods now appear to be heavy handed all we have to do is ask why then look in the mirror for the answer.
As the election draws closer the people on the board start getting more wild (for lack of a better word), Obviously, due to undeniable cause and effect the moderation ramps up and unfortunately some not so bad posts get tossed along with the seriously off topic posts. Sometimes the baby does get tossed with the bathwater, it's only human or are you expecting the mods to be perfect? Not human?
The moderation only seems heavy handed because the posters (in general) are getting out of control, happens every election cycle.

I have only had maybe 5 or 6 encounters with the mods the nine years I've been here and they seemed fair enough. Been on other boards where the mods were just horribly partisan and ended up killing the board. Amazed this place is still here after all this time.

Yup, gotta blame the mods for what we (collectively) are doing on the board. If the mods now appear to be heavy handed all we have to do is ask why then look in the mirror for the answer.
As the election draws closer the people on the board start getting more wild (for lack of a better word), Obviously, due to undeniable cause and effect the moderation ramps up and unfortunately some not so bad posts get tossed along with the seriously off topic posts. Sometimes the baby does get tossed with the bathwater, it's only human or are you expecting the mods to be perfect? Not human?
The moderation only seems heavy handed because the posters (in general) are getting out of control, happens every election cycle.

Curious --- my own speed bumps have been about the stock market, calling out child abuse, statistics, making jokes, and whether it's OK to affix a "like" or "dislike". None of them have been about elections or politics.

I have only had maybe 5 or 6 encounters with the mods the nine years I've been here and they seemed fair enough. Been on other boards where the mods were just horribly partisan and ended up killing the board. Amazed this place is still here after all this time.

As others pointed out the mods are human. I've had a mod literally follow me around so he could pounce on anything, obviously personal vendetta, and probably from being spanked in debate. Thankfully he's gone now, but it happens.

Provocative questions are a natural part of debates.
Debates always tend to drift into other areas.
Moderation is like trying to herd cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back