Is the term NEGRO offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Negro means black, why is negro offensive and black is not?

Gracie, are you really that disingenuous? Do you know the term 'connotation'? Certain words are very connotative. Connotation means: an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Literally, the word negro is black in Spanish. However, the word negro has negative connotation in our culture; whereas, the word black has positive connotation.

It's just that simple. For example, for native Americans, the word 'Indian' may have negative connotations, while the term native American does not.

Because I want to treat people with respect, and because I am aware of the connotative value some words have, I will use the word with the respectful connotation. I don't see any reason not to, do you? Unless one's purpose is to offend.

I'm not out to offend anyone....nor was I aware that NEGRO is offensive until a day ago. Now I know. I think its stupid, but what the fuck...whitey/honkey/cracker/white trash/ fishbelly white/caveman ape..... has to kowtow to make SURE we are politically correct because if we make a mistake...omg. Get a rope and find a tree.

I wasn't suggesting you wanted to offend anyone. I used the word 'one' in order to avoid the suggestion I was referring to you.

Gracie, are you really that disingenuous? Do you know the term 'connotation'? Certain words are very connotative. Connotation means: an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Literally, the word negro is black in Spanish. However, the word negro has negative connotation in our culture; whereas, the word black has positive connotation.

It's just that simple. For example, for native Americans, the word 'Indian' may have negative connotations, while the term native American does not.

Because I want to treat people with respect, and because I am aware of the connotative value some words have, I will use the word with the respectful connotation. I don't see any reason not to, do you? Unless one's purpose is to offend.

I'm not out to offend anyone....nor was I aware that NEGRO is offensive until a day ago. Now I know. I think its stupid, but what the fuck...whitey/honkey/cracker/white trash/ fishbelly white/caveman ape..... has to kowtow to make SURE we are politically correct because if we make a mistake...omg. Get a rope and find a tree.

The honest answer is that she found it why it was offensive and went on calling me and Asceplias a Negro and racist.

Well, if she did that I am disappointed in her. I thought she was kinder!

The honest answer is that she found it why it was offensive and went on calling me and Asceplias a Negro and racist.

She is a kind soul. There was a misunderstanding and we are taking it too far. Welcome to the internet!

[MENTION=38918]JQPublic1[/MENTION]
And shame on you to believe him. I never did any such thing.

JQ, you gotta quote my last statement, she has me on ignore.

I find it amazing that we even need to be debating something that is as elementary as to whether or not to insult and demean a group of people.

Discretion is always the better part of valor.

The only people who really cannot let go of this are racists and bigots. And this thread is an excellent way to out them. :thup:

End of story.

http://www.resist.com/CARTOON%20GALLERY/*******/nig_image40.jpg

:lol:

Yes, you stupid, racist fuck, you, nothing like posting a carcariture of a black person, making sure to make the lips as thick as possible and have him scratching his head, as if he is not intelligent enough to understand.

And of course, the final paragraph says it all.

Yes, indeed, that really enforces your "argument".

You are, unfortunately, the reason why we apparently need a thread llike this now and again, you racist fuck, you.

Spit.

Last edited:
Discretion? Debate? Personally, I asked a question because it came as a complete surprise to me to learn that a term used in black organizations was now deemed "offensive"....and those organizations still use the same term. So it was a legit question.

Discretion? Debate? Personally, I asked a question because it came as a complete surprise to me to learn that a term used in black organizations was now deemed "offensive"....and those organizations still use the same term. So it was a legit question.

She misrepresents the original conversation. She was told the term wasn't necessarily racist but old fashioned and a word only used by racists as a replacement for ******. But, in Gracie fashion, she had a partial meltdown, made false accusations and is still bitching about it. Just use the word, old lady.

And I remind you that the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) was founded on April 25, 1944. Jim Crow era.

And? If the word is so damn offensive, maybe they should change the wording.

Its not offensive if another black person uses it. If you think they should change it contact their offices.

A week later...she is still bitching over a word! :lmao:

Misrepresenting what everyone has said to boot.

Seems that if a term is offensive to a particular ethnic group, Organizations comprised of that ethnic group would not use it in their names. If they did then one would expect that ethnic group would rally to get that organization to change its name. However we don't see this happening in this case. What no complaints about the NAACP? So "Colored People" is not offensive?

BTW, A word cannot be ok for one group to use and not another. If the word is offensive, for one group it is offensive for all groups.

Rottengorilla said:
LMAO..even revisionist anti white wikipedia can't hide the fact that MLK was a plagiarist.

YAWWNNN, that is old news that I thought had played itself out some time ago.
You bought up M.L.K.so that you could get your pasties up and get your anti-Black rhetoric going. No one is talking about King here...just YOU! I couldn't care less whether he was a plagiarist or not. King was a great man and society is indebted to him for what he accomplished!

Bahahahaha! "Originally posted by rottengorilla" !!!!! 😂 👌

•Pinky•

Rottengorilla said:
LMAO..even revisionist anti white wikipedia can't hide the fact that MLK was a plagiarist.

YAWWNNN, that is old news that I thought had played itself out some time ago.
You bought up M.L.K.so that you could get your pasties up and get your anti-Black rhetoric going. No one is talking about King here...just YOU! I couldn't care less whether he was a plagiarist or not. King was a great man and society is indebted to him for what he accomplished!

Bahahahaha! "Originally posted by rottengorilla" !!!!! �� ��

•Pinky•

"rottengorilla"...:doubt: Silly little girl..name calling...you sound like a middle school child.."rottengorilla"...how juvenile.

The fact remains that MLK was a plagiarist and a philanderer while married and posing as a "reverend"...hell, his name wasn't even "Martin Luther"..it was "Michael"...more fraud from the great negro "reverend".

I know you don't know what philanderer means, young one, so here..for your edification;

phi·lan·der (f-lndr)
intr.v. phi·lan·dered, phi·lan·der·ing, phi·lan·ders
1. To carry on a sexual affair, especially an extramarital affair, with a woman one cannot or does not intend to marry. Used of a man.
2. To engage in many love affairs, especially with a frivolous or casual attitude. Used of a man.

He plagiarized his doctoral thesis and other writings;
Martin Luther King, Jr. authorship issues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and you KNOW it HAS to be true if even wikipedia is forced to admit it. :lol:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s papers were donated by his wife Coretta Scott King to Stanford University's King Papers Project. During the late 1980s, as the papers were being organized and catalogued, the staff of the project discovered that King's doctoral dissertation at Boston University, titled A Comparison of the Conception of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Nelson Wieman, included large sections from a dissertation written by another student (Jack Boozer) three years earlier at Boston University.[1][2]

As Clayborne Carson, director of the King Papers Project at Stanford University, has written, "instances of textual appropriation can be seen in his earliest extant writings as well as his dissertation. The pattern is also noticeable in his speeches and sermons throughout his career."[3]

Boston University, where King received his Ph.D. in systematic theology, conducted an investigation that found he plagiarized major portions of his doctoral thesis from various other authors who wrote about the topic.[4][5]

According to civil rights historian Ralph E. Luker, who worked on the King Papers Project directing the research on King's early life, King's paper The Chief Characteristics and Doctrines of Mahayana Buddhism[6] was taken almost entirely from secondary sources.[7] He writes:

Moreover, the farther King went in his academic career, the more deeply ingrained the patterns of borrowing language without clear attribution became. Thus, the plagiarism in his dissertation seemed to be, by then, the product of his long-established practice.[7]

The incident was first reported in the December 3, 1989 edition of the Sunday Telegraph by Frank Johnson, titled "Martin Luther King—Was He a Plagiarist?" The incident was then reported in U.S. in the November 9, 1990 edition of the Wall Street Journal, under the title of "To Their Dismay, King Scholars Find a Troubling Pattern." Several other newspapers then followed with stories, including the Boston Globe and the New York Times. Numerous newspaper editorials defended King, saying he was still a great man regardless of his academic fraud.[citation needed]

Boston University decided not to revoke his doctorate, saying that although King acted improperly, his dissertation still "makes an intelligent contribution to scholarship." However, a letter is now attached to King's dissertation in the university library, noting that numerous passages were included without the appropriate quotations and citations of sources.[1][8][9]

LMAO..now make up some more funny names to call me....or go play with your crayons and coloring book. This is an adult conversation.

A side note;
How did you like my reply to your "negro inventions" post?..ouch, huh? I know that hurt......LMAO...

Well...for the record....I don't care if MLK plagarized anything. He was a great man and will stay that way no matter what he did that is piddly. The point is....he wanted to make a difference..and did.

I agree that it was a legit question, especially since it came from a member who really was (and still is) on the search for knowledge and not interested in igniting a flame-war, that member being namely you. No one ever needs to apologize for a geniune search for knowledge. And Brianna, Asclaepius and Nutz all contributed salient arguments that pretty much answered the question, imo.

It's just a shame that racist scum had to jump along for the ride, but then again, sometimes it's good to watch them show theiir true colors.

She misrepresents the original conversation. She was told the term wasn't necessarily racist but old fashioned and a word only used by racists as a replacement for ******. But, in Gracie fashion, she had a partial meltdown, made false accusations and is still bitching about it. Just use the word, old lady.

No, Nutz, I disagree with you here. Gracie asked a question and listened to a lot of input.

It appears that there is some strite between the two of you that has nothing to do with this thread at all. Could it be that that is clouding your judgement some, perhapsß

Well...for the record....I don't care if MLK plagarized anything. He was a great man and will stay that way no matter what he did that is piddly. The point is....he wanted to make a difference..and did.

He was a plagiarist and a philanderer..and you think that is what makes one a "great man"?

You should really aim higher and look for moral and honest people to admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back