Is the term NEGRO offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel BLACK people need to choose their battles more strategically. So many black people have nitpicked every little thing to the point that no ones takes actual racism seriously. The race card has been abused and overwhelmed so much in the last 30 years it's sickening. Like the boy that cried wolf. One day our cries will be ignored and it's our own damn fault for playin games. Anybody (within physical reach) that calls me a ****** is likely to get punched in the throat and kneed in the face but that's completely different than 'negro'. Why wastes so much energy being offended about a legitimate and official term.
"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

I greatly admire James Baldwin. However, things have changed a lot since 1964.

Not to mention the statement is actually hypocritical since one of the reasons he moved to Paris was to get away from prejudice.

When the waitress explained that black people were not served the establishment, James Baldwin threw a glass of water at her, shattering the mirror behind the bar.[15] As a result of being disillusioned by American prejudice against blacks and gays, Baldwin left the United States at age 24 and settled in Paris, France. His flight was not just a desire to distance himself from American prejudice, but to see himself and his writing beyond an African American context.

The term was used as a noun later by Euro-colonial countries as a euphemism for the word "slave."
Rotagilla said:
? link?
Why would anyone need a "euphemism" for slave? They were afraid to say "slave"?..LMAO...you're funny!

No, it wasn’t a matter of fear...it was an expediency that made things easier to define Blacks every where..even those who were in Africa. But; locally, ‘Negro” took on a colloquial character that transcended its original meaning; that is, among white people. The transition from an adjective to a noun is more significant than you may realize

Here is the link for a more detailed study designed to deal with everything you wanted to know about the word "Negro." Afrer reading the link, you may understand why the NAACP did not become the NAANP...at least in part.

Trinicenter.com - Dr. Kwame Nantambu - Origin of terms 'Negro' and Afrika[/QUOTE]

Rotagilla said:
doubletalk. Irrelevant to the topic.

LMAO.."kwame nantambu.

Here's his linked in page.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/kwame-nantambu/52/baa/90b

kwame nantambu
Lecturer at Cipriani College of labour and co-operative Studies

HAHAHAHAHA..a "lecturer"...great!..

What else..let's see what "courses" he "taught"

Kent State University/Howard University
United States
August 1990 – May 2003 (12 years 10 months)

At KSU, I taught these courses "The Black Experience", "Pan Africanism","Caribbean Studies", "Black Economic Development",. At HU, I taught "Intro to Afro-American Studies", "Black Community Development", "Economics of Slavery", ":Colonialism",

Right..a revisionist, perpetually aggrieved negro "teacher". hahaha..great "source" you use..

too funny...

What Courses have YOU taught? What credentials do YOU have that would make you even 1/10th of an authority as Dr Nantumba. Since you have provided no links to back your mad assertions, I assume your sources emanate from bits and pieces of Limbaugh or Hannity Rhetoric or Storm Front publishers.

Rotagilla said:
Negro" is a valid choice for race on the last..and all previous U.S. Census reports...as well as every government document for hundreds of years.Then there's the "united negro college fund". Hard to get around that.

I read that the census racial classifications are being changed. Still, Black people simply had to tolerate that designation whether they liked it or not. “Negro” was not their choice as a self descriptor. Racist slavers debased it and gave the term new meaning (it became a noun); “Negro”, the pejorative, became the accepted term in the material world and insensitive men branded all so-called sub-Saharan Blacks with it!

Rotagilla said:
negro plagiarist martin luther king used the word 30 or so times in his (plagiarized) "i have a dream" speech.
If it's good enough for the negro plagiarist, it's good enough for me.

If you like everything Martin Luther King did you must love Black folks! Was his Christianity good enough for you, likewise? Your self evident ideology seems so remote from any Christian doctrine I have seen.
Seeing as MLK was an advocate of of affirmative action, he is only choosing to acknowledge him when it suits his interests.

The term was used as a noun later by Euro-colonial countries as a euphemism for the word "slave."
Rotagilla said:
? link?
Why would anyone need a "euphemism" for slave? They were afraid to say "slave"?..LMAO...you're funny!

No, it wasn’t a matter of fear...it was an expediency that made things easier to define Blacks every where..even those who were in Africa. But; locally, ‘Negro” took on a colloquial character that transcended its original meaning; that is, among white people. The transition from an adjective to a noun is more significant than you may realize

Here is the link for a more detailed study designed to deal with everything you wanted to know about the word "Negro." Afrer reading the link, you may understand why the NAACP did not become the NAANP...at least in part.

Trinicenter.com - Dr. Kwame Nantambu - Origin of terms 'Negro' and Afrika

Rotagilla said:

LMAO.."kwame nantambu.

kwame nantambu

United States

At KSU, I taught these courses "The Black Experience", "Pan Africanism","Caribbean Studies", "Black Economic Development",. At HU, I taught "Intro to Afro-American Studies", "Black Community Development", "Economics of Slavery", ":Colonialism",

Right..a revisionist, perpetually aggrieved negro "teacher". hahaha..great "source" you use..

too funny...

What Courses have YOU taught? What credentials do YOU have that would make you even 1/10th of an authority as Dr Natumba. Since you have provided no links to back your mad assertions, I assume your sources emanate from bits and pieces of Limbaugh or Hannity Rhetoric or Storm Front publishers.

Thats another thing that I see. Why do Black posters allow white racists to invalidate Black scholars under the claim of Afrocentrism? Fuck what they think of the source. Pretty much all the stuff we learn in school is Eurocentrism.

Rotagilla said:
? link?

Trinicenter.com - Dr. Kwame Nantambu - Origin of terms 'Negro' and Afrika

Rotagilla said:

LMAO.."kwame nantambu.

kwame nantambu

United States

too funny...
What Courses have YOU taught? What credentials do YOU have that would make you even 1/10th of an authority as Dr Natumba. Since you have provided no links to back your mad assertions, I assume your sources emanate from bits and pieces of Limbaugh or Hannity Rhetoric or Storm Front publishers.

I am not allowed to refer to that storm thing..but a lot of the arguments made by the resident racists come straight from hate sites. One time I simply copied and pasted the first sentence from one of the resident haters on the forum to a google search...that person's entire argument, verbatim, was a cut and paste job from another hate site.

They are the talking points given to the racist soldiers. See, people like rotigallia aren't here to debate...they are here to recruit.

Last edited:
I feel BLACK people need to choose their battles more strategically. So many black people have nitpicked every little thing to the point that no ones takes actual racism seriously. The race card has been abused and overwhelmed so much in the last 30 years it's sickening. Like the boy that cried wolf. One day our cries will be ignored and it's our own damn fault for playin games. Anybody (within physical reach) that calls me a ****** is likely to get punched in the throat and kneed in the face but that's completely different than 'negro'. Why wastes so much energy being offended about a legitimate and official term.
"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

Not all Black people admire James Baldwin any more than all White people admire John Travolta!

If Donald Sterling used it, I find it offensive. And I'm not "black".

Frankly, except when reporting a crime, as a description of skin tone and predominate features, I find any reference to race offensive. I find all people to be unique as individuals and find it ignorant to put people into such oversimplified categories.

•Pinky•

I used think like that too when I was younger. Then I realized what I was doing. By picking my battles I was putting the oppressor in a position of power psychologically. Like a kid that wants something but has to figure out how to ask for it. Now I could give a damn who gets tired. If they get tired of me being in their ass over simple respect they have 2 options. Pretend or actually give me the respect. I'm fine with either because at the end of the day they cant stop me. The race card thing is simply a way of saying "I dont respect you or your people and you pointing that out doesn't matter to me". In effect a reverse race card used to shame you for pointing things out. This is not a negotiation. You will give me respect or have to deal with me.

"The essence of power is the ability to define someone's reality and make them live according to that definition as if it is a definition of their own choosing."
--Wade Nobles

Both your's and Brianna's position have elements seductive to the white liberal mentality. (e.g. mine) Being old enough to be encumbered with impatience on the issue of true equality a quote comes to mind;

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Goldwater.

May the god's forgive me for using B.G.'s words for any reason.

Not to mention the statement is actually hypocritical since one of the reasons he moved to Paris was to get away from prejudice.

When the waitress explained that black people were not served the establishment, James Baldwin threw a glass of water at her, shattering the mirror behind the bar.[15] As a result of being disillusioned by American prejudice against blacks and gays, Baldwin left the United States at age 24 and settled in Paris, France. His flight was not just a desire to distance himself from American prejudice, but to see himself and his writing beyond an African American context.
I know he went to live in France. However, that does not make what he is saying hypocritical. I have read some of his novels, short stories and poems. I have such respect for him, I would not take that quotation at face value, out of context. He probably made it in a speech during the Civil Rights Movement, and without knowing what the context is, I wouldn't judge it. He was very strongly pro-Civil Rights and aided the Civil Rights movement in America. Paris was an artistic for writers and painters and other artists. Hemingway went there. Fitzgerald went there. Josephine Baker went there. That is the main reason he went to Paris, to be simply a writer instead of a 'negro' writer in America and dealing with all the BS that entailed.

I know he went to live in France. However, that does not make what he is saying hypocritical. I have read some of his novels, short stories and poems. I have such respect for him, I would not take that quotation at face value, out of context. He probably made it in a speech during the Civil Rights Movement, and without knowing what the context is, I wouldn't judge it. He was very strongly pro-Civil Rights and aided the Civil Rights movement in America. Paris was an artistic for writers and painters and other artists. Hemingway went there. Fitzgerald went there. Josephine Baker went there. That is the main reason he went to Paris, to be simply a writer instead of a 'negro' writer in America and dealing with all the BS that entailed.

Not all Black people admire James Baldwin any more than all White people admire John Travolta!

Who said they did? What a ridiculous point. Seriously, there is no way in hell you could compare James Baldwin with John Travolta, unless you are completely ignorant of his body of work.

I dont take it at face value. I get what he is saying and actually agree. When you can get to that point where you have conditioned yourself to disregard the attack racism constantly brings, it frees you. However, you would have to be an exceptional child to do this. Taken out of context its hypocritical since he left for the very same reasons the N word bothers people.

No more less offensive to some as "niggardly".

What an idiot. That word has a completely different meaning. There is no connection whatsoever. :cuckoo:

I think that still pertains to the conversation $ImageUploadedByUSMessageBoard.com1406145418.697022.jpg

•Pinky•

Rotagilla said:
Negro" is a valid choice for race on the last..and all previous U.S. Census reports...as well as every government document for hundreds of years.Then there's the "united negro college fund". Hard to get around that.

I read that the census racial classifications are being changed. Still, Black people simply had to tolerate that designation whether they liked it or not. “Negro” was not their choice as a self descriptor. Racist slavers debased it and gave the term new meaning (it became a noun); “Negro”, the pejorative, became the accepted term in the material world and insensitive men branded all so-called sub-Saharan Blacks with it!

Rotagilla said:
negro plagiarist martin luther king used the word 30 or so times in his (plagiarized) "i have a dream" speech.
If it's good enough for the negro plagiarist, it's good enough for me.

If you like everything Martin Luther King did you must love Black folks! Was his Christianity good enough for you, likewise? Your self evident ideology seems so remote from any Christian doctrine I have seen.
Seeing as MLK was an advocate of of affirmative action, he is only choosing to acknowledge him when it suits his interests.
Exactly, that is their way. I can imagine Rotagilla hurling bricks at Dr. King during one of his marches. But his use of the term "Negro plagiarist" clearly shows his nefarious intent. could Satan himself be less vicious on a message board?

Last edited:

I wonder what James Baldwin would feel if someone called his child a "******"? How do you explain that to a child?

This is an interesting question coming from you: you've said you are black and that you have children. You should know the answer to this one.

Exactly, that is their way. I can imagine Rotagilla hurling bricks at Dr. King during one of his marches. But his use of the term "Negro plagiarist" clearly shows his nefarious intent. could Satan himself be less vicious on a message board?

I take great amusement knowing i beat out a lot of white racists like him. You can just see all the rage in their faces and somehow that makes the struggle that much more satisfying. :lol:

No more less offensive to some as "niggardly".

What an idiot. That word has a completely different meaning. There is no connection whatsoever. :cuckoo:

Well you stupid fucking bitch, that didn't stop people like yourself from firing people that used it.

Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People like me? People who know what niggardly means would not fire anyone for using the word. :cuckoo: It is not remotely related to the 'n' word.

Who said they did? What a ridiculous point. Seriously, there is no way in hell you could compare James Baldwin with John Travolta, unless you are completely ignorant of his body of work.
You implied that because YOU admire James Baldwin that gives what he says more impact here among Blacks. It doesn't. Having said that, I like YOU but I do disagree with you at times!

I wonder what James Baldwin would feel if someone called his child a "******"? How do you explain that to a child?

This is an interesting question coming from you: you've said you are black and that you have children. You should know the answer to this one.

I was just throwing it out there for thought. I may or may not be able to brush it aside but how does a child do that? How do you deal with the anger that subject will cause in a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back