Is the term NEGRO offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I refrain from using the word negro or ******, ever. I know that they are words that have racist connotations and are very hurtful and emotional for blacks, especially considering the history behind those words. Blacks use it all the time, even when they're socializing with each other. But it's another thing if a white guy says it, even if they're really good friends.

Heck when I'm around friends that are black, I never use the word "black" as a descriptive way to identify another person. Blacks in general are very sensitive about this issue and their history, and I totally understand and respect that.

Even Black can be offensive if you are not using it correctly. This is because there are several definitions as I see it.

Black the color

Black which describes the American descendants of African slaves. Africans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and other people from the Caribbean may take offense at this because their culture is slightly different.

Black which is used to describe all people of color with African ancestry no matter where they are in the world.

It's not racist if used professionally (science research, studies, organizations, foundations, census', etc) but I wouldn't going around saying it casually to random black people.

•Pinky•

It's not racist if used professionally (science research, studies, organizations, foundations, census', etc) but I wouldn't going around saying it casually to random black people.

•Pinky•

So you defer to negroes to determine your vocabulary and you seek their approval as to what words are acceptable and when/if they are allowed to be used.
Negro is the anthropologically correct term to describe people of the negroid race.

You've certainly been well indoctrinated.

Why not just forbid the use of the word "white" and substitute "racist". I think negroes would enjoy that.

" A racist man in a racist car drove to the racist house in washington on a sightseeing trip. When he tried to park he found he was not between the racist lines and had to reposition his racist car."

We'll have to rename everyone with the surname "white"..their last name will be "racist" from here forward.
No more Betty White..She's now "Betty Racist".

No more white rabbits..they're all "racist" rabbits now.

heavy snowfall and blizzards can't be called whiteouts anymore..they are "racistouts"

"I'm dreaming of a "racist" christmas" will be the new name of the famous christmas carole

No more white sugar..It is "racist" sugar from now on.

When surrendering one can't wave the white flag anymore..they must wave the "racist" flag.

No white milk..it's "racist" milk now.

If you want your teeth cleaner you can't use whitener on them. You must use "racistener"

Whitewall tires will have to be called "racistwall" tires.

etc...etc... :lol::lol:

•Pinky•

So you defer to negroes to determine your vocabulary and you seek their approval as to what words are acceptable and when/if they are allowed to be used.
Negro is the anthropologically correct term to describe people of the negroid race.

Why not just forbid the use of the word "white" and substitute "racist". I think negroes would enjoy that.

" A racist man in a racist car drove to the racist house in washington on a sightseeing trip. When he tried to park he found he was not between the racist lines and had to reposition his racist car."

We'll have to rename everyone with the surname "white"..their last name will be "racist" from here forward.

heavy snowfall and blizzards can't be called whiteouts anymore..they are "racistouts"

"I'm dreaming of a "racist" christmas" will be the new name of the famous christmas carole

When surrendering one can't wave the white flag anymore..they must wave the "racist" flag.

If you want your teeth cleaner you can't use whitener on them. You must use "racistener"

He is having a meltdown! :lol:

How did this turn into a rant about hating white people when your question involved asking her if she was going to consider other peoples feelings?

Last edited:
I have been told it is. However, the term is still used in some organizations, so if it is an offensive word, does this mean UNCF is offensive for using it too? Some blacks have said it is no longer used and can be construed as an insult. Two people I respect told me opposing views...one said it is offensive, the other laughed and said it was not offensive.

So....what does everyone else think? What is your opinion? Since both men have opposing views, for the sake of niceties, I will refrain from ever using the term negro again. But I am still wondering about it. Hence..the question.

For along time there's been a shifting landscape in America on what terms are offensive to black people. Although MLK-self identified himself and his "race" as negro I wouldn't fault a black person for having their ire raised by the word. There was a time when being classified as "negro" placed people in a category legally bound to suffer the full force of institutionalized racism. And when some people utter it you can sense immediately the sub-text is "n....r", you get that around here often. I always defer to the people affected to decide what words like these to include or ban from my vocabulary.

The One-drop rule From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia;

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as Negro of individuals with any African ancestry; meaning any person with "one drop of Negro blood" was considered black. The principle of "invisible blackness" was an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status.

Although racial segregation was adopted legally by southern states of the former Confederacy in the late 19th century, legislators resisted defining race by law to prevent interracial marriages. In 1895 in South Carolina during discussion, George D. Tillman said,

"...It is a scientific fact that there is not one full-blooded Caucasian on the floor of this convention. Every member has in him a certain mixture of... colored blood...It would be a cruel injustice and the source of endless litigation, of scandal, horror, feud, and bloodshed to undertake to annul or forbid marriage for a remote, perhaps obsolete trace of Negro blood. The doors would be open to scandal, malice, and greed...

•Pinky•

Juuuust admiiiiittt it, you'd be dam happy if we renamed everything and replaced the word black with ******.

Power goes off..... Niggerout

Black tape ... ****** tape

Black Sea .... ****** sea

Go to a rave... ****** light (black light)

Kids during recess playin on the ****** top.

The pirate ****** beard sailed the 7 seas aboard his all ****** ship with his ****** flag blowing in the wind.

Jack ****** road down the street in his ****** limousine.

The ****** plague killed millions of racist Europeans!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That one was just too good! Couldn't help myself 😆

It was a ****** suit and tie event

You'd be one happy racist huh?

•Pinky•

Last edited:
Personally I refrain from using the word negro or ******, ever. I know that they are words that have racist connotations and are very hurtful and emotional for blacks, especially considering the history behind those words. Blacks use it all the time, even when they're socializing with each other. But it's another thing if a white guy says it, even if they're really good friends.

Heck when I'm around friends that are black, I never use the word "black" as a descriptive way to identify another person. Blacks in general are very sensitive about this issue and their history, and I totally understand and respect that.

Even Black can be offensive if you are not using it correctly. This is because there are several definitions as I see it.

Black the color

Black which describes the American descendants of African slaves. Africans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and other people from the Caribbean may take offense at this because their culture is slightly different.

Black which is used to describe all people of color with African ancestry no matter where they are in the world.
It's easy to see why. If you refer to others as the "Jewish guy" or the "Mexican Hispanic fellow", then they can be equally offensive to other people of the same ethnicity or nationality, even though those terms aren't offensive by themselves.

Personally...I am tired of the tippytoeing and trying keeping up with the newest offensive word in case someone gets offended. So....I won't ask any more, because as of this moment...I really don't give a shit. I will be myself and if nobody likes it....tough shit. Call me what you will. You're all just pixels.

I feel BLACK people need to choose their battles more strategically. So many black people have nitpicked every little thing to the point that no ones takes actual racism seriously. The race card has been abused and overwhelmed so much in the last 30 years it's sickening. Like the boy that cried wolf. One day our cries will be ignored and it's our own damn fault for playin games. Anybody (within physical reach) that calls me a ****** is likely to get punched in the throat and kneed in the face but that's completely different than 'negro'. Why wastes so much energy being offended about a legitimate and official term.
"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

I knew society (media mainly) had jumped the shark on all this crap about ten years ago. I was watching Great Van Sustren on TV and while describing a crime committed by a Haitian national, she described him as an "African American Haitian citizen".

So if Negro means black, why is negro offensive and black is not?

Gracie, are you really that disingenuous? Do you know the term 'connotation'? Certain words are very connotative. Connotation means: an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Literally, the word negro is black in Spanish. However, the word negro has negative connotation in our culture; whereas, the word black has positive connotation.

It's just that simple. For example, for native Americans, the word 'Indian' may have negative connotations, while the term native American does not.

Because I want to treat people with respect, and because I am aware of the connotative value some words have, I will use the word with the respectful connotation. I don't see any reason not to, do you? Unless one's purpose is to offend.

I feel BLACK people need to choose their battles more strategically. So many black people have nitpicked every little thing to the point that no ones takes actual racism seriously. The race card has been abused and overwhelmed so much in the last 30 years it's sickening. Like the boy that cried wolf. One day our cries will be ignored and it's our own damn fault for playin games. Anybody (within physical reach) that calls me a ****** is likely to get punched in the throat and kneed in the face but that's completely different than 'negro'. Why wastes so much energy being offended about a legitimate and official term.
"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

I wonder what James Baldwin would feel if someone called his child a "******"? How do you explain that to a child?

9491755]"Negro" is the correct anthropological term for people of the negroid race and is the polite term used to refer to negroids.

You are living in the past. Many , if not most, modern physical anthropologists have denounced the pseudo-scientific concept of race!The term lingers because a dwindling segment of the population keeps it alive as a hateful tool.

black" isn't a race. "african american" isn't a race... "africa" has nothing to do with negroes in america anyway and most of them have never been there.

Black is a race if Blacks say it is. Not that I agree with the concept of race at all. However, what others choose to call you may have severe consequences, but; in reality, it is what you answer to when called that counts. You trespass with impunity because the USMB community allows it. You also know that a reciprocation in kind by someone thought to be Black would alienate that person and offend white colleagues , including USMB staff. You, OTOH, are bound only by the limits allowed by USMB as you likely have no Black colleagues.

Rotagilla said:
Negro" is a valid choice for race on the last..and all previous U.S. Census reports...as well as every government document for hundreds of years.Then there's the "united negro college fund". Hard to get around that.

I read that the census racial classifications are being changed. Still, Black people simply had to tolerate that designation whether they liked it or not. “Negro” was not their choice as a self descriptor. Racist slavers debased it and gave the term new meaning (it became a noun); “Negro”, the pejorative, became the accepted term in the material world and insensitive men branded all so-called sub-Saharan Blacks with it!

Rotagilla said:
negro plagiarist martin luther king used the word 30 or so times in his (plagiarized) "i have a dream" speech.
If it's good enough for the negro plagiarist, it's good enough for me.

If you like everything Martin Luther King did you must love Black folks! Was his Christianity good enough for you, likewise? Your self evident ideology seems so remote from any Christian doctrine I have seen.

I greatly admire James Baldwin. However, things have changed a lot since 1964.

Rotagilla said:
since the perpetually aggrieved protected class learned they can manipulate white people by being "offended" by this word or that word has this nonsense been pushed.

I would ask for a link but I know you don’t have one. Your broad indictment underlines your narrow focus and exposes your true agenda! You feed on ops such as this and we empower you by responding to you!

My contribution to your campaign started with this line:

“If "Black" isn't a race then "White" isn't either. “ You responded with:

Rotagilla said:
good!..no one said it was. You've destroyed the strawman you set up. :doubt:

No, with close minded people like you, an axiom has to be explained clearly.

Rotagilla said:
correct anthropological classifications are "negroid" for negroes and "caucasian" for whites...Try to keep up. Didn't kwame nantumba explain that to you?..LMAO

Those classifications were founded on pseudo-scientific principles that have no place in modern anthropology. And, way before I read anything from Natumba, Ashley Montague’s book “Man’s Most dangerous Myth: The Fallacy of Race” provided professional insight as to the invalidity of race;then, subsequently, the pseudo-scientific illusion of the term “Negro.”

Rotagilla said:
"race" doesn't exist? There are no differences? LMAO...better tell the u.s. government to dismantle AA and all other programs that artificially elevate negroes based on their "race"..

"Ponder" all you like..

Then read some science for the truth.

The Human Race exists. That includes all of us. Invalid categorizations that focus on small differences between groups fail to consider this: that there is almost as much trivial inter-group diversity as between different groups.

If mankind was truly made up of different races, there could be no interbreeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back