Is the term NEGRO offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are scientific terms. You don't walk around calling whites caucasians all the time so I don't see why you would walk around calling blacks negroids or negros either.

Yes..they are scientific terms. That's what I just said.

No one walks "around" calling things by their scientific names...H20, sodium chloride, etc...

Those are called "water" and "salt".

Negroids are called negroes...caucasians are called "white" and mongoloids are called "asian".

The fact remains that race exists and there are physical and biological differences between the races.

The fact also remains that "human" is a species and not a "race".

If they find it offensive, then that means you are doing it to offend. So don't use it. It really is that simple.

Many people don't care anymore what the protected class considers "offensive" this week.

They've overplayed their hand of "being offended" and "making demands" for the last 50 years. It just isn't working like it used to.

$ImageUploadedByUSMessageBoard.com1406146161.033393.jpg

"Such terms are related to outdated notions of racial types"

•Pinky•

Not to mention the statement is actually hypocritical since one of the reasons he moved to Paris was to get away from prejudice.
I know he went to live in France. However, that does not make what he is saying hypocritical. I have read some of his novels, short stories and poems. I have such respect for him, I would not take that quotation at face value, out of context. He probably made it in a speech during the Civil Rights Movement, and without knowing what the context is, I wouldn't judge it. He was very strongly pro-Civil Rights and aided the Civil Rights movement in America. Paris was an artistic for writers and painters and other artists. Hemingway went there. Fitzgerald went there. Josephine Baker went there. That is the main reason he went to Paris, to be simply a writer instead of a 'negro' writer in America and dealing with all the BS that entailed.

I dont take it at face value. I get what he is saying and actually agree. When you can get to that point where you have conditioned yourself to disregard the attack racism constantly brings, it frees you. However, you would have to be an exceptional child to do this. Taken out of context its hypocritical since he left for the very same reasons the N word bothers people.

You only know the superficiality of his going to France. Yes, it was better as far as not dealing with the general face of American racism, but he left because he was an artist who wanted to be just an artist, not a black artist. It's a very different thing. He left because Paris was a mecca for artists and because he wanted to be in that environment, as well as being away from American racism.

I know he went to live in France. However, that does not make what he is saying hypocritical. I have read some of his novels, short stories and poems. I have such respect for him, I would not take that quotation at face value, out of context. He probably made it in a speech during the Civil Rights Movement, and without knowing what the context is, I wouldn't judge it. He was very strongly pro-Civil Rights and aided the Civil Rights movement in America. Paris was an artistic for writers and painters and other artists. Hemingway went there. Fitzgerald went there. Josephine Baker went there. That is the main reason he went to Paris, to be simply a writer instead of a 'negro' writer in America and dealing with all the BS that entailed.

Not all Black people admire James Baldwin any more than all White people admire John Travolta!

Who said they did? What a ridiculous point. Seriously, there is no way in hell you could compare James Baldwin with John Travolta, unless you are completely ignorant of his body of work.
You implied that because YOU admire James Baldwin that gives what he says more impact here among Blacks. It doesn't. Having said that, I like YOU but I do disagree with you at times!

I did not in anyway imply what anyone else should think of him. You made an erroneous assumption. I stated how much I admire him because I believe the quotation cannot be understood taken out of context. I have read his work, not all, but some, enough to know he never would have expected people to just take being insulted without a standing up to it. And enough to know that he was not a hypocrite.

The term was used as a noun later by Euro-colonial countries as a euphemism for the word "slave."

No, it wasn’t a matter of fear...it was an expediency that made things easier to define Blacks every where..even those who were in Africa. But; locally, ‘Negro” took on a colloquial character that transcended its original meaning; that is, among white people. The transition from an adjective to a noun is more significant than you may realize

Trinicenter.com - Dr. Kwame Nantambu - Origin of terms 'Negro' and Afrika

Rotagilla said:
doubletalk. Irrelevant to the topic.

LMAO.."kwame nantambu.

Here's his linked in page.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/kwame-nantambu/52/baa/90b

kwame nantambu
Lecturer at Cipriani College of labour and co-operative Studies

HAHAHAHAHA..a "lecturer"...great!..

What else..let's see what "courses" he "taught"

Kent State University/Howard University
United States
August 1990 – May 2003 (12 years 10 months)

At KSU, I taught these courses "The Black Experience", "Pan Africanism","Caribbean Studies", "Black Economic Development",. At HU, I taught "Intro to Afro-American Studies", "Black Community Development", "Economics of Slavery", ":Colonialism",

Right..a revisionist, perpetually aggrieved negro "teacher". hahaha..great "source" you use..

too funny...
What Courses have YOU taught? What credentials do YOU have that would make you even 1/10th of an authority as Dr Natumba. Since you have provided no links to back your mad assertions, I assume your sources emanate from bits and pieces of Limbaugh or Hannity Rhetoric or Storm Front publishers.

I am not allowed to refer to that storm thing..but a lot of the arguments made by the resident racists come straight from hate sites. One time I simply copied and pasted the first sentence from one of the resident haters on the forum to a google search...that person's entire argument, verbatim, was a cut and paste job from another hate site.

They are the talking points given to the racist soldiers. See, people like rotigallia aren't here to debate...they are here to recruit.

We empower people like Rotagilla by responding to his hate. However, I was quite amazed to see that many white people were standing up and decrying Rotagilla's obscene racism.
My thanks to those who extended their friendship and took the time to join in for a worthy cause!

So if Negro means black, why is negro offensive and black is not?

Gracie, are you really that disingenuous? Do you know the term 'connotation'? Certain words are very connotative. Connotation means: an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Literally, the word negro is black in Spanish. However, the word negro has negative connotation in our culture; whereas, the word black has positive connotation.

It's just that simple. For example, for native Americans, the word 'Indian' may have negative connotations, while the term native American does not.

Because I want to treat people with respect, and because I am aware of the connotative value some words have, I will use the word with the respectful connotation. I don't see any reason not to, do you? Unless one's purpose is to offend.

I'm not out to offend anyone....nor was I aware that NEGRO is offensive until a day ago. Now I know. I think its stupid, but what the fuck...whitey/honkey/cracker/white trash/ fishbelly white/caveman ape..... has to kowtow to make SURE we are politically correct because if we make a mistake...omg. Get a rope and find a tree.

No, it wasn’t a matter of fear...it was an expediency that made things easier to define Blacks every where..even those who were in Africa. But; locally, ‘Negro” took on a colloquial character that transcended its original meaning; that is, among white people. The transition from an adjective to a noun is more significant than you may realize

Trinicenter.com - Dr. Kwame Nantambu - Origin of terms 'Negro' and Afrika

What Courses have YOU taught? What credentials do YOU have that would make you even 1/10th of an authority as Dr Natumba. Since you have provided no links to back your mad assertions, I assume your sources emanate from bits and pieces of Limbaugh or Hannity Rhetoric or Storm Front publishers.

I am not allowed to refer to that storm thing..but a lot of the arguments made by the resident racists come straight from hate sites. One time I simply copied and pasted the first sentence from one of the resident haters on the forum to a google search...that person's entire argument, verbatim, was a cut and paste job from another hate site.

They are the talking points given to the racist soldiers. See, people like rotigallia aren't here to debate...they are here to recruit.

We empower people like Rotagilla by responding to his hate. However, I was quite amazed to see that many white people were standing up and decrying Rotagilla's obscene racism.
My thanks to those who extended their friendship and took the time to join in for a worthy cause!

There are many more of them on this forum. As they recruit teapers, their numbers grow and as they continue their hate drivel, more of them are attracted to this forum. While it is refreshing that some USMB posters stand up to his idiocy, his nonsense is still more welcome than condoned.

So if Negro means black, why is negro offensive and black is not?

Gracie, are you really that disingenuous? Do you know the term 'connotation'? Certain words are very connotative. Connotation means: an idea or feeling which a word invokes for a person in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Literally, the word negro is black in Spanish. However, the word negro has negative connotation in our culture; whereas, the word black has positive connotation.

It's just that simple. For example, for native Americans, the word 'Indian' may have negative connotations, while the term native American does not.

Because I want to treat people with respect, and because I am aware of the connotative value some words have, I will use the word with the respectful connotation. I don't see any reason not to, do you? Unless one's purpose is to offend.

I'm not out to offend anyone....nor was I aware that NEGRO is offensive until a day ago. Now I know. I think its stupid, but what the fuck...whitey/honkey/cracker/white trash/ fishbelly white/caveman ape..... has to kowtow to make SURE we are politically correct because if we make a mistake...omg. Get a rope and find a tree.

The honest answer is that she found it why it was offensive and went on calling me and Asceplias a Negro and racist.

I read that the census racial classifications are being changed. Still, Black people simply had to tolerate that designation whether they liked it or not. “Negro” was not their choice as a self descriptor. Racist slavers debased it and gave the term new meaning (it became a noun); “Negro”, the pejorative, became the accepted term in the material world and insensitive men branded all so-called sub-Saharan Blacks with it!

If you like everything Martin Luther King did you must love Black folks! Was his Christianity good enough for you, likewise? Your self evident ideology seems so remote from any Christian doctrine I have seen.
Seeing as MLK was an advocate of of affirmative action, he is only choosing to acknowledge him when it suits his interests.
Exactly, that is their way. I can imagine Rotagilla hurling bricks at Dr. King during one of his marches. But his use of the term "Negro plagiarist" clearly shows his nefarious intent. could Satan himself be less vicious on a message board?

LMAO..even revisionist anti white wikipedia can't hide the fact that MLK was a plagiarist.
Martin Luther King, Jr. authorship issues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s papers were donated by his wife Coretta Scott King to Stanford University's King Papers Project. During the late 1980s, as the papers were being organized and catalogued, the staff of the project discovered that King's doctoral dissertation at Boston University, titled A Comparison of the Conception of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Nelson Wieman, included large sections from a dissertation written by another student (Jack Boozer) three years earlier at Boston University.[1][2]

As Clayborne Carson, director of the King Papers Project at Stanford University, has written, "instances of textual appropriation can be seen in his earliest extant writings as well as his dissertation. The pattern is also noticeable in his speeches and sermons throughout his career."[3]

Boston University, where King received his Ph.D. in systematic theology, conducted an investigation that found he plagiarized major portions of his doctoral thesis from various other authors who wrote about the topic.[4][5]

According to civil rights historian Ralph E. Luker, who worked on the King Papers Project directing the research on King's early life, King's paper The Chief Characteristics and Doctrines of Mahayana Buddhism[6] was taken almost entirely from secondary sources.[7] He writes:

" Moreover, the farther King went in his academic career, the more deeply ingrained the patterns of borrowing language without clear attribution became. Thus, the plagiarism in his dissertation seemed to be, by then, the product of his long-established practice.[7]"

The incident was first reported in the December 3, 1989, edition of the Sunday Telegraph by Frank Johnson, titled "Martin Luther King—Was He a Plagiarist?" The incident was then reported in U.S. in the November 9, 1990, edition of the Wall Street Journal, under the title of "To Their Dismay, King Scholars Find a Troubling Pattern". Several other newspapers then followed with stories, including the Boston Globe and the New York Times.

Boston University decided not to revoke his doctorate, saying that although King acted improperly, his dissertation still "makes an intelligent contribution to scholarship." However, a letter is now attached to King's dissertation in the university library, noting that numerous passages were included without the appropriate quotations and citations of sources.[1][8][9]

As was true of King's other academic papers, the plagiaries in his dissertation escaped detection in his lifetime.

I posted numerous valid science links regarding IQ also.I always include them when I have this "discussion" with negroes....but as usual negroes deny anything that doesn't make them feel good and ignore things they don't understand.

No matter. After the impending collapse and partitioning they'll be able to build their own black "nation" without interference from us "racists". That should be quite amusing to watch.

Last edited:
It's not racist if used professionally (science research, studies, organizations, foundations, census', etc) but I wouldn't going around saying it casually to random black people.

•Pinky•

So you defer to negroes to determine your vocabulary and you seek their approval as to what words are acceptable and when/if they are allowed to be used.
Negro is the anthropologically correct term to describe people of the negroid race.

You've certainly been well indoctrinated... etc...etc... :lol::lol:

Ya know, clearly you are angry and frustrated about something but in this matter you may want to walk a mile in the other (black) guy's shoes before setting yourself up as judge and jury.

Seeing as MLK was an advocate of of affirmative action, he is only choosing to acknowledge him when it suits his interests.
Exactly, that is their way. I can imagine Rotagilla hurling bricks at Dr. King during one of his marches. But his use of the term "Negro plagiarist" clearly shows his nefarious intent. could Satan himself be less vicious on a message board?

LMAO..even revisionist anti white wikipedia can't hide the fact that MLK was a plagiarist.
Martin Luther King, Jr. authorship issues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s papers were donated by his wife Coretta Scott King to Stanford University's King Papers Project. During the late 1980s, as the papers were being organized and catalogued, the staff of the project discovered that King's doctoral dissertation at Boston University, titled A Comparison of the Conception of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Nelson Wieman, included large sections from a dissertation written by another student (Jack Boozer) three years earlier at Boston University.[1][2]

As Clayborne Carson, director of the King Papers Project at Stanford University, has written, "instances of textual appropriation can be seen in his earliest extant writings as well as his dissertation. The pattern is also noticeable in his speeches and sermons throughout his career."[3]

Boston University, where King received his Ph.D. in systematic theology, conducted an investigation that found he plagiarized major portions of his doctoral thesis from various other authors who wrote about the topic.[4][5]

According to civil rights historian Ralph E. Luker, who worked on the King Papers Project directing the research on King's early life, King's paper The Chief Characteristics and Doctrines of Mahayana Buddhism[6] was taken almost entirely from secondary sources.[7] He writes:

" Moreover, the farther King went in his academic career, the more deeply ingrained the patterns of borrowing language without clear attribution became. Thus, the plagiarism in his dissertation seemed to be, by then, the product of his long-established practice.[7]"

The incident was first reported in the December 3, 1989, edition of the Sunday Telegraph by Frank Johnson, titled "Martin Luther King—Was He a Plagiarist?" The incident was then reported in U.S. in the November 9, 1990, edition of the Wall Street Journal, under the title of "To Their Dismay, King Scholars Find a Troubling Pattern". Several other newspapers then followed with stories, including the Boston Globe and the New York Times.

Boston University decided not to revoke his doctorate, saying that although King acted improperly, his dissertation still "makes an intelligent contribution to scholarship." However, a letter is now attached to King's dissertation in the university library, noting that numerous passages were included without the appropriate quotations and citations of sources.[1][8][9]

As was true of King's other academic papers, the plagiaries in his dissertation escaped detection in his lifetime.

I posted numerous valid science links regarding IQ also.I always include them when I have this "discussion" with negroes....but as usual negroes deny anything that doesn't make them feel good and ignore things they don't understand.

No matter. After the impending collapse and partitioning they'll be able to build their own black "nation" without interference from us "racists". That should be quite amusing to watch.

IQ test are not valid no matter how much you claim them to be. You cant measure intelligence. You can only measure what someone determines constitutes intelligence. Let me know the day you can tell i got an answer wrong because I was more worried about where my next meal was coming from.

It's not racist if used professionally (science research, studies, organizations, foundations, census', etc) but I wouldn't going around saying it casually to random black people.

•Pinky•

So you defer to negroes to determine your vocabulary and you seek their approval as to what words are acceptable and when/if they are allowed to be used.

Negro is the anthropologically correct term to describe people of the negroid race.

You've certainly been well indoctrinated.

Why not just forbid the use of the word "white" and substitute "racist". I think negroes would enjoy that.

" A racist man in a racist car drove to the racist house in washington on a sightseeing trip. When he tried to park he found he was not between the racist lines and had to reposition his racist car."

We'll have to rename everyone with the surname "white"..their last name will be "racist" from here forward.

No more Betty White..She's now "Betty Racist".

No more white rabbits..they're all "racist" rabbits now.

heavy snowfall and blizzards can't be called whiteouts anymore..they are "racistouts"

"I'm dreaming of a "racist" christmas" will be the new name of the famous christmas carole

No more white sugar..It is "racist" sugar from now on.

When surrendering one can't wave the white flag anymore..they must wave the "racist" flag.

No white milk..it's "racist" milk now.

If you want your teeth cleaner you can't use whitener on them. You must use "racistener"

Whitewall tires will have to be called "racistwall" tires.

etc...etc... :lol::lol:

And how many times do I have to say this..... I'M BLACK! I don't have to defer to other black people for approval.

•Pinky•

And how many times do I have to say this..... I'M BLACK! I don't have to defer to other black people for approval.

•Pinky•

He is an idiot, I wouldn't waste my time with him. A racist convict...he doesn't really matter. He is a burden to society.

Rottengorilla said:

YAWWNNN, that is old news that I thought had played itself out some time ago.
You bought up M.L.K.so that you could get your pasties up and get your anti-Black rhetoric going. No one is talking about King here...just YOU! I couldn't care less whether he was a plagiarist or not. King was a great man and society is indebted to him for what he accomplished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back