Is there a migration from major cities underway?

Been underway for a while now. The pandemic has accelerated it. A lot of them will go back to the city for the convenience, but for most, it's all about cost of living.
This is an old article. Long before COVID-19.

The pandemic has taught people they don't have to actually LIVE in an urban heckhole to work there. Further, with all of the culture and concerts and other crap closed down, there is no socialreason to live in a rat hole city.

Well, the pandemic has certainly caused many people to look at moving out of the city. And yes, some of that could be because all of the culture and social extras aren't available right now. But the main reason is rising rents and property prices. Cost of living. Like it or not, most people make decisions based on their wallet. And once the rent and mortgage prices start outstripping the convenience of living in the city, people move. I have no doubt the cities will bounce back as the rent and property prices fall..and the pandemic gets under control. There will be some that come back followed by new people moving into the city. But a lot are gone for good.

The Huge Failed Urban Hell Holes don't just have high rent and property prices- the governments schlong the residents with absurd tax rates, the price of parking ranges from high to ballistic depending on the city, and the crime rates are unbelievably high.

The parking in larger cities is primarily for visitors. Not residents. If those residents have cars, they are usually in long term private parking. One of the attractive things about living in the city is access to public transportation (subways, buses). A lot of ordinary people (ones who cant be driven around) use public transportation to get to their work, their restaurants, their gyms, cultural events. That kind of access is attractive, especially to younger residents.

Been underway for a while now. The pandemic has accelerated it. A lot of them will go back to the city for the convenience, but for most, it's all about cost of living.

The pandemic has taught people they don't have to actually LIVE in an urban heckhole to work there. Further, with all of the culture and concerts and other crap closed down, there is no socialreason to live in a rat hole city.

Well, the pandemic has certainly caused many people to look at moving out of the city. And yes, some of that could be because all of the culture and social extras aren't available right now. But the main reason is rising rents and property prices. Cost of living. Like it or not, most people make decisions based on their wallet. And once the rent and mortgage prices start outstripping the convenience of living in the city, people move. I have no doubt the cities will bounce back as the rent and property prices fall..and the pandemic gets under control. There will be some that come back followed by new people moving into the city. But a lot are gone for good.

The Huge Failed Urban Hell Holes don't just have high rent and property prices- the governments schlong the residents with absurd tax rates, the price of parking ranges from high to ballistic depending on the city, and the crime rates are unbelievably high.

The parking in larger cities is primarily for visitors. Not residents. If those residents have cars, they are usually in long term private parking. One of the attractive things about living in the city is access to public transportation (subways, buses). A lot of ordinary people (ones who cant be driven around) use public transportation to get to their work, their restaurants, their gyms, cultural events. That kind of access is attractive, especially to younger residents.

I don't find subways to be that attractive at all.

the main problem in my "neck 'o da woods" is
CRIME-------and the handcuffing of the cops and
----INMHO---the thug love evinced by local government
and Judiciary

We are in another Housing Bubble; very unusual during what is claimed to be an economically weak economy.

Housing bust in Democrat-ruled shithole cities.

Housing boom in suburbs with strong police and prosecutors.

What's not to like?

Housing bust in Democrat-ruled shithole cities.

Housing boom in suburbs with strong police and prosecutors.

What's not to like?

The only thing not to like is if you're in the market for a new home in the burbs.
It's definitely a sellers market where I live in Houston.

Yeah,private parking that cost a bundle.
And who the fuck wants to ride public trans with all the scumbags?
I rode the bus for two years in Houston as a youngster...talk about incentive to save money and buy a car!!!
My commute was 2.5 hours each way on the bus. I could do it in 45 minutes in a car.

I have had occasion to personally think this through in a couple of instances.

When work took me to London it was clear that there was no point in owning a vehicle. Streets continually clogged; parking priced outrageously. Excellent public transport (tube/buses). Even for more extensive travel, very good train services to places where rental cars are readily available.

However in Boston? A case could be made either way. Private parking still outrageously expensive. Public transit a laughingstock. Lousy intercity connections and those that exist involve seldom-cleaned buses. Rental cars very expensive and not located for easy interchange with things like bus stations.
The Boston solution? If you need a vehicle buy a cheap beater. Less likely to be stolen, no reason to buy expensive collision insurance. Good enough to go shopping and to break away on weekends so long as you don't have long distances to travel. And if you do? Keep your AAA road assistance coverage up to date.

Forum List

Back