Is there an agenda?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
After discussing the poor food choices of many Americans including those on public assistance, I had a rather disturbing thought. Rather than requiring them to buy healthy foods with their food dollars, we allow them to buy anything that is 'edible.' Could there be an agenda there. Is the government actually wanting them to eat themselves into an early demise? I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'conspiracy.' But it seems odd that the government would give people money for food and let them use it so unwisely.

Potatoes, the main source of vitamin C for people in this area during the Great Depression. 5 pounds of them cost less than a large bag of chips. A boxed pizza cost more than the ingredients to make pizza from scratch. And the scratch recipe would give the person pizza several times in a month.

I could give many examples.

Last edited:
While it does require buying a used but usable crock pot and bread machine to eat well on food stamps I'm fairly certain that laziness is the problem. I could walk to the local Good Will and replace my wardrobe except for underware and get all the small kitchen appliances put out on infomercials. This is not rocket science. The reason I do not is that I can afford to spend money like an idiot. I can afford to act like an idiot because I am out of debt.

Unhappily the lunatics in DC fail to realize that everyone can and does game the system just many people do so badly. What you are complaining about is evolution in action.

While it does require buying a used but usable crock pot and bread machine to eat well on food stamps I'm fairly certain that laziness is the problem. I could walk to the local Good Will and replace my wardrobe except for underware and get all the small kitchen appliances put out on infomercials. This is not rocket science. The reason I do not is that I can afford to spend money like an idiot. I can afford to act like an idiot because I am out of debt.

Unhappily the lunatics in DC fail to realize that everyone can and does game the system just many people do so badly. What you are complaining about is evolution in action.

I actually wasn't complaining. I was just positing a question as to whether there might be an agenda - shorter life of the people on entitlements.

Yea, I know about that out of debt thingy. Life's cool when you have no debt. I am retired and I can live on my pensions. I think the retirees who cannot must have retired in debt.

The Chinese have an agenda of providing many Chinese buffet restaurants so they can ruin our health and have fewer military recruits.

I think there will be some attitude adjustment due to the housing downturn that started last month and also the Obamacare screw-up. However given Chinese real estate buying on the one hand and Democrat defections on Obamacare along with TEA party reps and senators being bribed with automated factories on the other hand I have no idea how long and deep the current down turn will be. Without that knowledge the degree of attitude adjustment is anybody's guess.

...we allow them to buy anything that is 'edible.' Could there be an agenda there. Is the government actually wanting them to eat themselves into an early demise? ...
So you're seeing something that looks stupid and crazy and you're trying to find the logic in it. You might want to consider the possibility that the reason it's so hard to find logic may be simply because there is none. Let's keep in mind the fact that people in general and governments in particular have been known at times to be very stupid.

The Chinese have an agenda of providing many Chinese buffet restaurants so they can ruin our health and have fewer military recruits.

LOL. Chinese restaurant food is NOT good for you, either here or in China. They have a problem with blood pressure there even thought the do not have much of a problem with weight that I could notice. Their doctors were VERY concerned over the mounting number of hypertension cases. Too much salt and fat.

...we allow them to buy anything that is 'edible.' Could there be an agenda there. Is the government actually wanting them to eat themselves into an early demise? ...
So you're seeing something that looks stupid and crazy and you're trying to find the logic in it. You might want to consider the possibility that the reason it's so hard to find logic may be simply because there is none. Let's keep in mind the fact that people in general and governments in particular have been known at times to be very stupid.

I think you'll find that most (if not all) of the rules were written by lobbyists in various industries. That's probably the explanation.

I had a rather disturbing thought. Rather than requiring them to buy healthy foods with their food dollars, we allow them to buy anything that is 'edible.' Could there be an agenda there. Is the government actually wanting them to eat themselves into an early demise?
So you're thinking whatever government policy makers in charge of the rules for food stamps were sitting in a meeting room debating how they should work, and decided maybe it would be best for the country if the foodstamp users ate unhealthy foods so they would die early?

In the interest of what? It wouldn't save money, as unhealthy obese poor people are more of a burden over their lifetimes than a healthy person living longer.

I had a rather disturbing thought. Rather than requiring them to buy healthy foods with their food dollars, we allow them to buy anything that is 'edible.' Could there be an agenda there. Is the government actually wanting them to eat themselves into an early demise?
So you're thinking whatever government policy makers in charge of the rules for food stamps were sitting in a meeting room debating how they should work, and decided maybe it would be best for the country if the foodstamp users ate unhealthy foods so they would die early?

In the interest of what? It wouldn't save money, as unhealthy obese poor people are more of a burden over their lifetimes than a healthy person living longer.

If the diet were their only bad choice issue it wouldn't be much of an issue. Many have other illnesses like Hep C from bad tats. Many are substance abusers as well as smokers. Combine that with bad food choices and you can reduce that lower third by a goodly number. Smokers do not live long enough to be a drain on the system.

obesity does reduce fertility. Evolution in action going to let you penalize you.

Hunger and debt were always my greatest motivators in life.

There's no motivation to do jack shit in this country any more.

No accountability, no responsibilities.

the desire to achieve is missing for many

If the diet were their only bad choice issue it wouldn't be much of an issue. Many have other illnesses like Hep C from bad tats. Many are substance abusers as well as smokers. Combine that with bad food choices and you can reduce that lower third by a goodly number. Smokers do not live long enough to be a drain on the system.

My Papa lived to be 94, he smokes cigs, cigars and chewed and dipped tobaccie.

Forum List

Back