Israel defends itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Before I start in on this thread, let me preface it by mentioning a variation of an old saying:

"We won the battle, but lost the war."​

Struggles and armed conflicts aren't just fought on a battlefield. They're fought in the court of public opinion too. In case anyone needs a history lesson on that front, it would behoove them to recall the American Civil Rights struggle. It was news images of water cannons and German Shepherd police dogs being unleashed on peaceful Black demonstrators which ultimately turned American public opinion against the gov'ts of the American South in the early 1960s. Israel faces a similar PR disaster despite the fact that most of these kind of reports don't get much airtime in the USA.

In truth, the story below isn't even the one I was looking for. I saw a report this morning on CNN about a 3 year old Palestinian child who was wrapped in bandages in a hospital. Obviously, the story below is from last month.

A Palestinian child, 7 years old, Ali Abed al-Awour, passed away last night as a result of injuries caused by an Israeli airstrike last Wednesday.

Palestinian sources reported that the child was with his uncle, Muhammad Ahmad al-Awour, on a motorcycle, when the Israeli airplane striked in the al-Sudanyeh neighborhood, northern Gaza. The Israeli army claimed that the uncle was a leader of Hamas, responsible for firing rockets to southern Israel. However, al-Awour's family said he had gone out to get food for dinner when he was killed.

This attack caused the immediate death of the uncle, 30 years old, and two other people were injured. One of them was Ali al-Awour, who passed away yesterday in a hospital in Gaza.

7-year old dies in Gaza 3 days after being injured in an Israeli airstrike

The POINT is clear as long as you're not too obtuse to see it or too partisan to acknowledge it. When a militarily far more powerful foe launches a military assault on a weaker opponent in the name of self-defense, it better be careful regarding its targets and the scale of its assault, or it's going to look like plain old brutality.

While I know that there are a lot of Israel supporter who are unapologetic regarding these assaults, at some point you have to ask yourself if it's doing more harm than good to the cause if it creates widespread sympathy for the Palestinians in the court of world public opinion in the process.

But this thread is not meant so much to be about Israel versus the Palestinians and who's right, or who's MORE right. This thread is meant to be about what's in America's interest. You see, the Israelis are using weapons systems that WE supplied to them to launch these military campaigns. Think how that makes Arabs view us when they see dead children at the hands of weapons we supplied to the people who are using the weapons against them. Think that might create a terrorism problem for us in the process?

Last edited:
Before I start in on this thread, let me preface it by mentioning a variation of an old saying:

Struggles and armed conflicts aren't just fought on a battlefield. They're fought in the court of public opinion too. In case anyone needs a history lesson on that front, it would behoove them to recall the American Civil Rights struggle. It was news images of water cannons and German Shepherd police dogs being unleashed on peaceful Black demonstrators which ultimately turned American public opinion against the gov'ts of the American South in the early 1960s. Israel faces a similar PR disaster despite the fact that most of these kind of reports don't get much airtime in the USA.

In truth, the story below isn't even the one I was looking for. I saw a report this morning on CNN about a 3 year old Palestinian child who was wrapped in bandages in a hospital. Obviously, the story below is from last month.

A Palestinian child, 7 years old, Ali Abed al-Awour, passed away last night as a result of injuries caused by an Israeli airstrike last Wednesday.

Palestinian sources reported that the child was with his uncle, Muhammad Ahmad al-Awour, on a motorcycle, when the Israeli airplane striked in the al-Sudanyeh neighborhood, northern Gaza. The Israeli army claimed that the uncle was a leader of Hamas, responsible for firing rockets to southern Israel. However, al-Awour's family said he had gone out to get food for dinner when he was killed.

This attack caused the immediate death of the uncle, 30 years old, and two other people were injured. One of them was Ali al-Awour, who passed away yesterday in a hospital in Gaza.

The POINT is clear as long as you're not too obtuse to see it or too partisan to acknowledge it. When a militarily far more powerful foe launches a military assault on a weaker opponent in the name of self-defense, it better be careful regarding its targets and the scale of its assault, or it's going to look like plain old brutality.

While I know that there are a lot of Israel supporter who are unapologetic regarding these assaults, at some point you have to ask yourself if it's doing more harm than good to the cause if it creates widespread sympathy for the Palestinians in the court of world public opinion in the process.

But this thread is not meant so much to be about Israel versus the Palestinians and who's right, or who's MORE right. This thread is meant to be about what's in America's interest. You see, the Israelis are using weapons systems that WE supplied to them to launch these military campaigns. Think how that makes Arabs view us when they see dead children at the hands of weapons we supplied to the people who are using the weapons against them. Think that might create a terrorism problem for us in the process?

^^^ a mental case. Connect the dots fAiL.

Like Meir said, "when the Palestinian people start loving their children more than the hate us, there will be peace"....or something to that effect.

As we sit here and type, Hamas is getting bombed back to the stone age and the fact is, most people don't give a fuck. That's the way it is......

The real issue is that those people insist on NOT joining civilization. When moderates finally stand up and grow some balls and confront the radicals ( as has happened in most other civilized nations ) THEN they will stop having their nut sacks kicked in every few years. Not a moment sooner.:badgrin::badgrin::up:

By all means let's be fair. The Israelis should shut down their iron dome system so their dead can equal the raghead dead.

Your post is nonsensical.

To begin with the Iron Dome system is TRULY a defensive weapons, unlike the weapon systems used to attack Gaza. Secondly, Iron Dome can NOT be used AS an offensive weapon. So, it's not even relevant to this thread.

Which leads me to the following question: Why do conservatives post so much irrelevant BS?

My final point is this: Your post is not only silly, it's racist, as well.

:eusa_angel:

Think about this. Do you love your child more than you hate your neighbor? You should think about that.

:eusa_angel:

Think about this. Do you love your child more than you hate your neighbor? You should think about that.

Think about this! The exact same argument can be made in reverse regarding the Israelis. Do they love their children more than they hate the Palestinians?

By all means let's be fair. The Israelis should shut down their iron dome system so their dead can equal the raghead dead.

To begin with the Iron Dome system is TRULY a defensive weapons, unlike the weapon systems used to attack Gaza. Secondly, Iron Dome can NOT be used AS an offensive weapon. So, it's not even relevant to this thread.

Which leads me to the following question: Why do conservatives post so much irrelevant BS?

Forgive me ...I did not know that defense is not an integral part of warfare. So Israel should limit its use of offensive weapons and depend on defense? Talk about nonsensical.

Sworn testimony was provided bt the FBI stating how the 09/11 perpetrators felt about the US financing the Palestinian genocide/ethnic cleansing. That testimony was suppressed , censored and ignored . It was NOT incorporated into the final 09/11 Commission Report.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bm2GPoFfg"]What motivated the 9/11 hijackers? See testimony most didn't [/ame]

Do you think for one second that hamas considers whether the over 1000 rockets they have lobbed at Israel might kill a child? How many would be dead if Israel didn't have the defense system they have? At least Israel phones if they can, and roof knock before they lob theirs.

or do you want Israel to just sit back and take the incoming without any response? Have their lives disrupted every day, never knowing when they will need to hit the deck again?

Forgive me ...I did not know that defense is not an integral part of warfare. So Israel should limit its use of offensive weapons and depend on defense? Talk about nonsensical.

When a country responds out of all proportion to what they consider a provocation (the murder of 3 teens) and end up killing hundreds of civilians in the subsequent assault, the assault is not about defense. It's not even about retribution because that's usually somewhat proportional. It's something else entirely. But it's NOT about defense.

You do realize that almost daily, even before this situation hamas lobs at them, right?

When a country responds out of all proportion to what they consider a provocation (the murder of 3 teens) and end up killing hundreds of civilians in the subsequent assault, the assault is not about defense. It's not even about retribution because that's usually somewhat proportional. It's something else entirely. But it's NOT about defense.
Dude...the kids dying was weeks ago...this is about Hamas rocket attacks.

So you admit that the rockets Hamas is launching into Israel are not defensive. Why do you think anyone should shed a single tear over people who are waging offensive war against a innocent people?

"Proportion" would mean just as many dead Israelis as Palestinians, right?

Do you think for one second that hamas considers whether the over 1000 rockets they have lobbed at Israel might kill a child? How many would be dead if Israel didn't have the defense system they have? At least Israel phones if they can, and roof knock before they lob theirs.

or do you want Israel to just sit back and take the incoming without any response? Have their lives disrupted every day, never knowing when they will need to hit the deck again?

I want you to address the issue of how many children were slaughtered by Menachem Begin and the Irgun , Stern and Hagana terrorist gangs then repost.

ISIS is now targeting Christians; Palestinians are largely SUNNI, as is ISIS.The Druze of course are citizens of Israel. Does this widen the narrow view hawked by the PLO press?

I want you to address the issue of how many children were slaughtered by Menachem Begin and the Irgun , Stern and Hagana terrorist gangs then repost.

While ISIS is slaughtering Christians? No thanks, Israelis have defended their nation(.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back