Israel palestine: Is the one state solution the only solution?

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Here is another way of looking at it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-b6Y_ojOSs]Israel palestine: Is the one state solution the only solution? - YouTube[/ame]

A one state solution could only work if democratic institutions ran democratically...but that is asking a lot.

Could Israel courts, government, ministries and the police swtich to being "colour blind" to religion or ethnicity?

Somehow I doubt it - and I doubt Palestinian authorities could either.

To me it would be like asking Reagan's USA and Gorbachev's Russia to become one state.

A one state solution could only work if democratic institutions ran democratically...but that is asking a lot.

Could Israel courts, government, ministries and the police swtich to being "colour blind" to religion or ethnicity?

Somehow I doubt it - and I doubt Palestinian authorities could either.

To me it would be like asking Reagan's USA and Gorbachev's Russia to become one state.

I personally prefer a 2-state solution. This way Israel could retain its dinstinctive, unique and special flavor of being the only Jewish country in the world, and Palestine could become the 23rd Arab state.

I personally prefer a 2-state solution. This way Israel could retain its dinstinctive, unique and special flavor of being the only Jewish country in the world, and Palestine could become the 23rd Arab state.

I agree with you - I think it is a more practical solution long term.

I fear a one-state solution would take a similar course to Lebanon, forever hampered by demographics and hatred.

I agree with you - I think it is a more practical solution long term.

I fear a one-state solution would take a similar course to Lebanon, forever hampered by demographics and hatred.

I think most of the problems in Lebanon were imposed on it be foreigners.

Tinmore -

Foreigners haven't helped - be they Syrian, Palestinian or Israeli.

But Lebanon was founded on the assumption that the ethnic/relgious mix between Druze, Falange and Maronites would remain roughly constant - an assumption proven to be false.

Tinmore -

Foreigners haven't helped - be they Syrian, Palestinian or Israeli.

But Lebanon was founded on the assumption that the ethnic/relgious mix between Druze, Falange and Maronites would remain roughly constant - an assumption proven to be false.

That system may be past its time but to assume that a change in demographics means an increase in discrimination does not necessarily ring true.

Let's use my decoder ring on this one:

ONE STATE SOLUTION = IF WE CAN'T DESTROY ISRAEL THROUGH MILITARY CONQUEST WE'LL JUST FLOOD THEM WITH ARABS AND REPRODUCE AT TWICE THEIR RATE UNTIL WE CAN VOTE ISRAEL OUT OF EXISTENCE.

Yeah.... I'm going to go with a "no" on that one.

ONE STATE SOLUTION = IF WE CAN'T DESTROY ISRAEL THROUGH MILITARY CONQUEST WE'LL JUST FLOOD THEM WITH ARABS AND REPRODUCE AT TWICE THEIR RATE UNTIL WE CAN VOTE ISRAEL OUT OF EXISTENCE.

Which is another reason why 'Right of Return' will not happen

Which is another reason why 'Right of Return' will not happen

Exactly.

As I've stated before, democracy is an ideal, but its not the ultimate ideal. There have to be safeguards to ensure that the majority won't oppress the minority. Because the Arabs have made no secret of their desire to destroy Israel and remove the Jews from the region, a "one-state solution," which would allow them to use democracy to accomplish their goals is not possible.

"
"Foreigners haven't helped - be they Syrian, Palestinian or Israeli. But Lebanon was founded on the assumption that the ethnic/relgious mix between Druze, Falange and Maronites would remain roughly constant - an assumption proven to be false."

"That system may be past its time but to assume that a change in demographics
means an increase in discrimination
does not necessarily ring true."

what else "rings true" in 'palestine' (that you never like to mention, and turn a blind eye to ?
(....you know, about the palestinans voting for " Hamass-movement-people" aka, world known terrorists, as their gov't) ?

how's that peace process going ? any meetings coming up between Netanyahu, his people
and "The Hamass Parliament" people ? is parliament better to say than movement or terrorist ?

I for one agree with Tinmore that a one state solution is the only solution. Any two state solution in the same piece of land can only result in two states at endless war. Where we disagree is in how to achieve it. He wants Israel to just do all the giving to meet endless Palestinian demands. And I want Israel to find an incentive to offer the surrounding Arab countries to grant their Palestinians a right of return back to their indigenous homelands. LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

Forum List

Back