It Can’t Happen Here... Can It?

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Seems like trump is following in the foot steps the character "Buzz" Windrip in the 1935 political novel 'It Can't Happen Here'

That’s the question circulating now that Donald Trump, the nativist, rabble-rousing xenophobe, and billionaire, is threatening to capture the Republican nomination for president of the United States — and it’s a question that isn’t being asked only on the left. It’s been raised by a New York Times editorial, which claimed that Trump has brought the GOP “to the brink of fascism,” and by Republicans, ranging from neoconservative pundit Max Boot to Virginia’s centrist former Governor Jim Gilmore. Conservative Times columnist Ross Douthat was reasonably typical in a piece headlined “Is Donald Trump a Fascist?” While he allowed that The Donald may not be Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini, he added, “It seems fair to say that he’s closer to the ‘proto-fascist’ zone on the political spectrum than either the average American conservative or his recent predecessors in right-wing populism.”

For figures ranging from comic Louis C.K. to right-wing commentator Glenn Beck, making direct Hitler-Trump comparisons has become the fashion of the moment. I must admit, however, that “proto-fascist” sounds about right to me. Certainly, the rise of Trump has caused many voters to take notice — the question being whether the real estate mogul (who further stirred the pot recently by retweeting a quote from Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini) could cobble together enough of a coalition of nationalists, Angry White Men, “poorly educated” working-class backers, the disaffected religious right, Islamophobes, immigrant-bashers, and others to wield the figurative pitchforks in a march to victory in November.

It Can't Happen Here... Can It?

Seems like trump is following in the foot steps the character "Buzz" Windrip in the 1935 political novel 'It Can't Happen Here'

That’s the question circulating now that Donald Trump, the nativist, rabble-rousing xenophobe, and billionaire, is threatening to capture the Republican nomination for president of the United States — and it’s a question that isn’t being asked only on the left. It’s been raised by a New York Times editorial, which claimed that Trump has brought the GOP “to the brink of fascism,” and by Republicans, ranging from neoconservative pundit Max Boot to Virginia’s centrist former Governor Jim Gilmore. Conservative Times columnist Ross Douthat was reasonably typical in a piece headlined “Is Donald Trump a Fascist?” While he allowed that The Donald may not be Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini, he added, “It seems fair to say that he’s closer to the ‘proto-fascist’ zone on the political spectrum than either the average American conservative or his recent predecessors in right-wing populism.”

For figures ranging from comic Louis C.K. to right-wing commentator Glenn Beck, making direct Hitler-Trump comparisons has become the fashion of the moment. I must admit, however, that “proto-fascist” sounds about right to me. Certainly, the rise of Trump has caused many voters to take notice — the question being whether the real estate mogul (who further stirred the pot recently by retweeting a quote from Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini) could cobble together enough of a coalition of nationalists, Angry White Men, “poorly educated” working-class backers, the disaffected religious right, Islamophobes, immigrant-bashers, and others to wield the figurative pitchforks in a march to victory in November.

It has happen already... Just ask the Native Americans that were genocide off their lands, so yes it has happen already...

The question should be if it will happen again?

It has happen already... Just ask the Native Americans that were genocide off their lands, so yes it has happen already...

The question should be if it will happen again?

I will add to this:

Since the days of our Founding Fathers there have been radical movements within our country that were Nationalists... You had the Know Nothing Political Movement that sided with the South during the War Between the States...

During the 1800's you had the Anti-Irish, Anti-Italian and Anti-Catholic movement that plague this country...

During the same period you had the Genocide of the Native American and stealing of their land and lest not forget the Jim Crow days and the segregation of the South and the mistreatment of free slaves.

Then in the early 1900's you had the anti-German movement and the mistreatment of German Americans during World War I.

Then during World War II you had Japanese Americans forced into Prison Camps because of the Nationalist fear they might join the enemy...

During the 1950's through the 1970's you had the Pro-Southern attempting to keep Segregation alive...

So can it happen again?

Yes, and will it?

Most likely because humans never learn from history and repeat it over and over...

And now they are demonizing whites. Everyone is a victim of white heterosexual Christian males. I guess it's our turn.

Yes honey we know. Democrats walk on water.

Forum List

Back