It sneaks up on you

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
Sometimes- The competitive fire, desire to improve, intense concentration, hundreds of tactics exercises, hundreds of games, a satisfying, steady rise in one's rating, then one day it happens; 20 months without a break, and the concentration vanishes, a string of losses to lower rated opponents pile up, and it's time to face the truth - burnout, it sneaks up on you. Damn...I wish I wasn't born with the need to prove something to myself, but it's who I am. There's some comfort in knowing this is not uncommon. Taking a month or so away from chess. There's always home projects, I suppose.

Just had to tell someone. 😕

Sometimes- The competitive fire, desire to improve, intense concentration, hundreds of tactics exercises, hundreds of games, a satisfying, steady rise in one's rating, then one day it happens; 20 months without a break, and the concentration vanishes, a string of losses to lower rated opponents pile up, and it's time to face the truth - burnout, it sneaks up on you. Damn...I wish I wasn't born with the need to prove something to myself, but it's who I am. There's some comfort in knowing this is not uncommon. Taking a month or so away from chess. There's always home projects, I suppose.

Try meditation.

Eh, it's the weather, Bill. Shell out some dough and treat your wife or best friend to a January week of a Carribbean cruise to Roatan or visit the Iguazu falls in South America or the Australian great barrier reef on hopefully a glass bottomed boat. I promise you getting out of the short day winter doldrums will help you out. You go, guy! :thup:

Well, if you watched the Queen's Gambit you would know that the key to doing well in chess is lots of sex and drugs.

Forum List

Back